Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 540792 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5505 on: June 18, 2024, 03:20:24 PM »

HAPPY DAY, BEAKERS!  :D

I've seen recently that 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, which is often expressed as 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days a week, is the minimum recommendation these days. Though it can be done in any increments. I also read an article in the online NIH Library last week that had some good info related to some of those recommendations for minimum exercise amounts. It was using a measurement called a MET, which stands for Metabolic Equivalent of Task, which is a calculation I won't go into here. A task needs to be in the 4-6 METS range to be considered Moderate. Anyway, it said, on average, the walking rate needs to be at least at 2.4 mph to get to that rate of METs (this is an average - rates are individual, and vary, based on several variables), else it isn't considered to be in the range called moderate exercise.

I walk much faster on a treadmill than I do on my neighborhood sidewalks, that's for sure. But I discovered my walking speed has really dropped off lately.

I measured the distance of my 28-minute walk a couple of days ago, and it turned out that walk was only at a rate of 2.16 mph. Oops... I need to step that up!! ... so I can consider my walks to be part of my moderate exercise!

So today I walked for 39 minutes, and I measured my path afterward in my car (so it isn't exact - but it's close). It turned out I walked today at a speed of 2.6 mph. So I got faster than the 2.4 mph needed to count it as moderate exercise. Yay!  :D

That's my story. LOL.
  ;)

Take care, (((Beakers))), and enjoy your day!  :) :-*

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5506 on: June 18, 2024, 05:07:57 PM »

PHYL   Cute AM critter  :D

PUFF   Actually yesterday BOTH O'Hare and Midway posted the 97.  Today both posting 93.

CLYNN  another colorful AM  :)  No munchkins tomorrow - Hope they send pics ;D

LISA  No mistaking those butterfly eggs - WOW  What a work of art!

KB   I have that Cranesbill altho I've also called it a hybrid geranium.  I had to look it up as I would love to control it and keep it cut back a bit.  It was part of our new landscaping 3 years ago in the front yard.  Did not know what it did.

LANI   Looks like a block party at TF

BAZI   You are doing great!!!   I forget, do you have a smart phone?  If so you can download the "Map My Walk" ap.  I does all the figuring for you and counts your steps, MPH  etc.  Last 2 walks I have done  21 min to do 1.34 mile( the best I have done since my back surgery)  - then not so good 30 min to do 1.3 miles.  To me the most important thing is that I am out there walking.  Not in this awful heat however...  I also go  faster on my treadmill.  I don't have cracks in sidewalks to watch out for  LOL
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #5507 on: June 18, 2024, 07:09:09 PM »

Hi Beakers!  Hope all  have had a great day!    Thanks lani, as Tsk pointed out, I enjoyed the block party!  Phyl bb report. clynn, pictures of Iris and her new family, dn kids !  Reminds me of the year the  kids lived on the mulch pile!
Lani, hope Mike is improving. Tsk and .baz, good on the walking!   And the info!  I will never get there!
After my pedicure today, Piper and I sat on the screened  porch, enjoyed the weather!  Temps a high of 93 but the humidity was only 51%!   Had a lovely breeze with some gusts of 20 mph!   Sun, in and out!  Piper  spent time in the yard  chasing
Squirrels and running around!
 Lisa, where do you want to move to?
Did leg exercises and now time to work on my arms!    Seds
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 08:15:17 PM by karengramke »

karengramke

« Reply #5508 on: June 18, 2024, 08:17:16 PM »

Willie Mays has died!  83!  Rip!

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5509 on: June 18, 2024, 09:07:09 PM »

KB, TIG and all in the tornado's path please be safe...

KAREN- and Piper do enjoy your screened in porch--- ;)     RIP Willie Mayes, a true sports legend.

LANI tks for Royal update, gotta echo Tsk

CLYNN most interesting eggs of the Nymphalia Antiopa Butterfly ; what are you going to do w/o Munchkins tomorrow?

SEDS.

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

oldguy

« Reply #5510 on: June 19, 2024, 12:04:11 AM »

Just a couple of cat videos...

Two Cats and One Common Enemy   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w2TkFljPwA

After all, the red hat suits Maru too well   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMYdjw17C00
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5511 on: June 19, 2024, 12:38:12 AM »

Kb, Tig and All in storm's path, take care.

{{{Lisa and Jeff}}} I wouldn't be able to leave a Kitty B&B either.  ;D

Baz, you're doing awesome!

Tsk,  I'll have to check on "Map My Walk" ap.

SED Karen and Piper, sounds like it's been a good day for you both! .... awww the great Willie Mays, RIP

Oldguy, Fun Walter Santi video. LOL!

Good night!

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Clynn,  Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

« Reply #5512 on: June 19, 2024, 06:17:39 AM »

Good Morning Everyone... !

Currently: 74F mostly cloudy , High  88F   sunny,  with  Low 71F

OG  Walter's video ' Two Cats..." funny ending; maru does wear the red trimmed hat well

LANI  cute animated cat

Prayers for:  The Beakroom and Cheers.; Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. 
 'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere .

https://epicureandculture.com/princess-cake/

Sweden's Princess Cake is an iconic dessert with a royal history.
Learn about the culture surrounding this decadent dish and how to make it at home!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 06:31:24 AM by Phyl »

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #5513 on: June 19, 2024, 06:20:59 AM »

The Raptor Resource Project

From Amy's blog...

Join us for our Fledge Fundraiser!
 June 18, 2024  RaptorResource

https://www.raptorresource.org/2024/06/18/join-us-for-our-fledge-fundraiser/

Join us for our Fledge Fundraiser on Thursday, June 20 from 8-10am CDT, 2-4pm CDT and 6pm to whenever we stop! We’ll be chatting and celebrating and Amy will be on hand to answer your questions here: https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-north-nest/ and on our Facebook page.     
 You are always welcome to give whatever and whenever you can, but every donation you make to our fledge fundraiser between Wednesday and Friday will be matched up to $1,200 thanks to volunteer moderator Tulsaducati Decorah! You can make a donation here: https://www.raptorresource.org/support-the-raptor-resource-project/. With you by our side, we can continue to keep our cameras streaming, research birds of prey, and share their lives with everyone who loves them and wants to keep them safe. Thank you so much for your support.

Sauces bald eagle cam

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5514 on: June 19, 2024, 06:29:04 AM »

Heading to 95 today...partly sunny.  No rain

KAREN   Good memory.  Yes the juvies on the ground so early does remind me also of the mulch pile year..  Gone most of yesterday.  Did not hear about Willy Mays  RIP legend.

OLDGUY   Love Santi's laugh   ;D  That was so funny with the vacuum.

Was supposed to head to Milwaukee for the day today but changed to tomorrow for better and cooler weather options.  The greats and my bro and SIL  - we all head to the zoo.  a tradition when the kids get out of school.
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5515 on: June 19, 2024, 07:00:29 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, thanks for the fund raiser announcement! And thanks for the info on your Bluebird history! I have plenty to do today! I am hoping for a day when I don't have anything to do! Our high is only 72 today, because of the rain. Off and on most of the day it looks like! Love it. No rain for Branson, so the kids will have fun! It's 410 miles, a good 6 hour drive for them today.

Lani, your good night cat reminded me of Honey, she could hear the slightest sound even when she was sleeping...one eye would open so she could decide whether or not to get up. Usually not!

oldguy, cute Santi video with the cats and the Rumba! Maru...

tsk, I will request pics if I don't get any by midday tomorrow! Erin is usually very good about sending pics. What did we do before cameras on phones and texts! Thanks for the info on the walking ap, I need to get to walking more regularly, I think it may help!

baz, good for you walking! It's harder when it's hot! Today would be a good temp ...but it's raining!  Easy for me to find an excuse...  ::) ::)

Lisa, I love that Jeff keeps the B&B going! A man that loves cats is a treasure! Ed was not a cat person when we met, just dogs. He has been a cat man ever since we married!

karen, so good that Piper loves playing in the yard!

kb, Minnehaha is roaring!

Hellgate - According to the chat the little one is getting plenty of food!

Finn still working on the guard rails, and making it harder to see the chicks!

The North kids are having a chat, waiting for breakfast!
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

kbshcb

« Reply #5516 on: June 19, 2024, 08:26:43 AM »

Our heat cap..two red bump outs prevented us from getting a tornado yesterday/last night.
Although, one did land in Duluth. Up North!

Morning all....an unusual rain free day today, and much cooler.....whew.
Will need to walk Ollie before his toenail clipping appt..
Grilling chicken later..

LisaG1967

« Reply #5517 on: June 19, 2024, 09:04:17 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

baz - You are doing great with your walking!

tsk - We are getting those hot temps for Fri, Sat and Sun.  On Sat, the heat index will be in the triple digits, and we are attending an outside BBQ graduation party.   :o  I told Jeff, lets just wear bathing suits to the party.  ;D ;D  A good idea to plan for another day to the zoo!

karen - I would love to move to Florida, but Jeff says, no.  Maryland is one of 8th worse states to retire in, and even worse for a State employee, as they tax your retirement. Most people move to PA, DE or FL, who are state employees.  Aww, so sad about Willie Mays.

oldguy - Thanks for the videos.

Lani:D  How is Mike?

Phyl - Pretty flowers this morning.  Sweden's Princess Cakes are adorable. Thanks for the RRP post.

clynn - Jeff has always been a cat guy.  We did have dogs, but cats always have had his heart. Love the morning pics!

kb
- Have a good walk with Ollie.

kbshcb

« Reply #5518 on: June 19, 2024, 09:18:12 AM »

Lisa - you two could retire here, in Minnesnota!...ROFL ;) ;)

Home from a very comfortable walk with Ollie...toenails next..my least favorite cause it's his least fav.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5519 on: June 19, 2024, 09:35:49 AM »

CLYNN   What did we do?  Skrudlands - remember them for getting your film made into pictures?   We had dogs as children.  When we all left and had our own lives we all had cats  LOLOL   Great screen clip of the Hellgate babies getting fed.   At the rate Finn is going we will never see those kids  LOLOL

LISA  Hope there will be some shade at the graduation BBQ and drink tons of water.   I always thought the Carolina's would be a good place to retire.  Not speaking for myself.   We love the 4 seasons of the year. . ;)

Off to Costco!
Chicagoland