Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 533709 times)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #450 on: January 14, 2024, 06:41:01 AM »

-15 windchill is -41 right now!!!  Be safe, will be checking in later today. Prayers and hugs...

Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #451 on: January 14, 2024, 06:56:50 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Temp is -16 right now, wind chill -40.  Dang! It is more than cold! High today will be -6.  A week from tomorrow we will be back in the 30s, normal...  ;D

Puff, I think the Midwest is all in the deep freeze! Stay warm!

Lori, good morning girl! So good to see you in the AM!

Phyl, great picture of Audi and Jak! Nice and clear, they must have upgraded their camera! Hope you and Jim are better each day... Great 365, the cranes are beautiful and we are in Japan! That's new!

Lani, I don't think I will be able to get out to fill the bird feeders today! Maybe Wednesday, it will be 19! Like a heat wave! Sounds like Aly's whole neighborhood needs to be fumigated! Do they do that for fleas? Moving would be the best answer, and now she has another question to ask when she is looking -- is there a flea problem...

Abandoned Hotel Belvédère was an iconic Swiss hotel on the edge of the Rhone Glacier. It was built in 1882 by young hotelier Josef Seiler in one of the hairpin bends of the Furka Pass, one of the snowiest regions in Switzerland. The panoramic location attracted a pampered clientele who sometimes stayed for weeks during the summers.
The hotel industry in Switzerland boomed at the turn of the 20th century, and Hotel Belvédère's popularity increased with the opening of new railway lines. However, from the 1960s, the number of guests at the hotel and other Alpine hotels decreased due to faster and more powerful cars. The once two or three day trip through the pass became a one-day round trip, and guests no longer stayed overnight.The hotel closed a couple of years ago and will likely never reopen.

In Utah, USA, the Great Salt Lake has a railroad that divides the lake into two distinct sections. On one side, the blue waters mix with fresh water from three separate rivers, resulting in significantly lower salt levels compared to the other side. The pink-hued section, on the other hand, boasts almost ten times the ocean's salt concentration and serves as a habitat for salt-adapted organisms, giving it its distinctive pink color.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #452 on: January 14, 2024, 07:16:57 AM »

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING BEAKERS

-8 degrees  :o

CLYNN   Wow, that is an amazing tower you have for those kitties  :o  I see now - 2 towers  :o   That is the cutiest pic of both of them   I also contacted my friend in Vancouver who said today would be the day for her for the unusual weather.  Will text her later.    Love that AM goose  LOLOL   Can't imagine what it took to build that hotel on the curve!
Never knew that about the Great Salt Lake  :o

EAGLES   I'll sit by that lake campfire with you  ;)

KB   Interesting airline story...

PHYL   Basket of gray kitties Both parents gray - I wonder..   Cranes always remind me of origami  :)

BL  That link was not operational at 7 AM  ???

LANI    Yes B&T are glad to be in Fl.   She texts and asks how much snow every hour or so  LOL.  Agree Arizona has everything environmentally.  Hope Mike's presentation went well.

PUFF   Cold one for us but not complaining esp when we see EMY's report.   :o

LORI  Starting us off with wishes this AM

HAVE A GREAT DAY KRIS

Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #453 on: January 14, 2024, 07:52:54 AM »

Oh, I agree tsk.  I wasn't complaining so much as comparing the two of us.  We have at times completely different environs but all considered the Chgo area.  Since I posted the earlier temps we both dropped a wee bit more.  But they are predicting sun - just not enough it looks like to get us out of the minus figures.  We'll see.

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #454 on: January 14, 2024, 07:56:56 AM »

Good Morning Beakers....Happy Sunday!

clynn - I LOVE the pics of the kitties!  I agree with you too, on the old building turning into something useful. 

E4E - I would love to be sitting by that fire on the beach.  Glad that you had a nice Saturday, and that you didn't need to go out in the cold.  :)

Phyl - As soon as I get a video, I will most certainly post it here.  Glad to hear all is good with the Kia. Love the basket full of Russian Blue's.

BL - Thanks for the weather map.  I am hoping for some warm temps for drive and trip to Mama's next week.

Lani - How awful for Aly! 

Phyl - Love the blue glass bottles. Stay warm!  Great pics of Chase and Choyln, and Audi and Jak.

tsk, Puff and Lori - Stay warm!

clynn - LOL, cute pic of the duck trying to stay warm. Dang is right on those temps!  I cannot even imagine!

Happy Birthday, Kris!!!!!

oldguy

« Reply #455 on: January 14, 2024, 08:29:44 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Grindavik is getting lava this morning (8am Iceland) - eruption started about 1 km north of town.  Some of the vents are within the new berms that were under construction.  Lava has crossed the road going north out of Grindavik, flowing west.   A second small fissure started very close to the houses - lava has entered the northern houses in town as of 3.5 hours ago - still looking for updated info.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

kbshcb

« Reply #456 on: January 14, 2024, 08:39:22 AM »

and then why not:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1746066933911339151
Dressed for it.

Brrr....high of zero or 1 today...I notice most local social media pages pretty quiet around here these days.
People are probably hunkered down..same as me.

Eagles4 - Enjoy Kris' day today! Happy Bird Day of course.

kbshcb

« Reply #457 on: January 14, 2024, 08:47:03 AM »

Just heard from sis about nephew and friends Breezy Point ice fishing adventure.
First day, Scott only caught one small crappie.
Then, yesterday they rented a guide and a warmer ice fishing house. Not sure yet what that meant in terms of types of fish. But, caught more than first day.

Who knew such amenities existed....not me.

karengramke

« Reply #458 on: January 14, 2024, 08:55:05 AM »

Good Morning!   News on computer said the town in Iceland was evacuated!  Guess there
 are worse things than cold! The   Temps at swfl are currently 59  and were 69  yesterday afternoon!   Baby left alone for quite awhile and has been eating a lot of road kill rabbit!   Temps will top out at 61 degrees thus afternoon.

Happy Birthday Kris!  Sorry but I ate the entire Black Forest  cupcake Lori posted for you!   Maybe she can find another!

Lani, I had a bug company spray a yard to kill fleas!   A certain number if freezing days will also  kill them.

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #459 on: January 14, 2024, 08:57:44 AM »

Happy Birthday Kris!

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

oldguy

« Reply #460 on: January 14, 2024, 09:05:38 AM »

Not find much upto date info this morning on Iceland.  This was post about 40 min. ago, but not a lot of detail.  The town was evacuated last evening because of road damage - large uplifts and cracks - making it hard to leave town - but everyone did get out about 10 hours before this mornings eruption.  The small second fissure started about 4 hours after the first and was only 400 meters away from the northern point of homes.  Lava from this fissure has surrounded some homes.

oldguy

« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2024, 09:14:55 AM »

It was -17 here this morning.  I have to take step son to work in an hour(his car is still buried in snow), so quick posts.

No one wanted to be out last night, so no card game  :(

Grindavik HIt With Lava - Irreparable Damage and Sadness   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsDBgjgEtnU

13 Year Old Girl Improvises Piano Like A Star   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ULg2v8C1Y

Blue Monday... Caturday Film Club   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_XXbONPeA

Warm beer box lined with boa and Maru   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1l3hQ7wSE4

Warning - tissues may be needed - old memories may be triggered.
This is an unusual video for Clair - it deals with the passing of cats and pets in general and the effect on the owners.
I am Madly in Love with Cats (ENG SUB)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnFiG9BacSc

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2024, 09:17:31 AM »

Bbbrrrrooouunncceee
Happy Bird Day Kris !!!

TV. Homemade pizza. Tomorrow repeat.

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

BrokenLug

« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »

This map might be of interest to us chilly Beakers.  :)

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/exper/ndfd/ndfd.html#

It depicts where the FORECAST ( NDFD ) Temperatures will either Tie or Break / or be Near  the historical RECORDS for a given station.

These are ambient temps in F° NOT wind chill temps.

Hi Max = Maximum High Temperature for the day at that station.
Hi Min = Minimum High Temperature for the day at that station.
Lo Max = Maximum Low Temperature for the day at that station.
Lo MIn = Minimum Low Temperature for the day at that station.

We'll use Sunday the 14th's Lo Max in Des Moines, IA as an example. (Sorry Clynn).  ;)

1) hover your mouse over the Lo Max Blue Box, Upper Left - this will populate the map with blue Temps. Zoom map in a bit.
2) click on the blue -9 number near Des Moines.
3) in the pop up box you will see

DSM - DES_MOINES_INTL_(ASOS) = Staion ID + (type of weather station)
NDFD:-9°F                                    = FORECAST Maximum Low Temperature for Sun 14th at that station.
Record:-9°F (1888)                        = the 1888 Maximum Low Temperature RECORD.
Data starts: 1878

So if the NDFD forecast hold true of (-9) at Des Moines it will TIE the Lo Max temp of -9 set at DSM
in 1888 on this date. In other words pretty Fn cold in any ones lifetime there.   ::)

Clear as mud ?   ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 09:42:21 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2024, 09:47:45 AM »

BL - I perused some old photos and interestingly I found a pic of My Scott with a fish and a white board behind him stating Rush Lake...and Coon lake btw, but it's marked from Rush Lake 1984.

Also found a deer stand pic, looks kind of flimsy to me but what do I know?

And finally a fish caught at the BWCA.

Many more but I won't indulge except to say I forgot he was like the Derby headmaster? as well..