Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 597194 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2024, 06:44:08 AM »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

kbshcb

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2024, 06:55:15 AM »

Hey owner: How obtuse can you be?.....it's obvious.

Morning all...
Lots of hoarfrost on surfaces this morning. Not yesterday but I didn't venture out on our as yet to be treated roads!....Maybe by noon I'll give it a try with Ollie...I can't step off the end of my driveway without being on a hill....so, I figure I'll find out how slippery it is pretty quick.
Hopefully the streets supervisor will respond to my e mail today..will be interesting to hear her response.
Road pretty much looks like it did now 2 days ago.

Phyl - love that part of Minnesota and how the ice/snow/frost looks so different depending on the type of tree..gorgeous. (365)

55 seconds of more daylight today....typically not noticeable until the end of this month though...heading in the right direction.

Off to start short ribs in the crockpot.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 06:57:25 AM by kbshcb »

Puff

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2024, 07:06:50 AM »

Inquiring minds wants to know. . .

A week or so back there was a discussion/mention of a new fitted sheet on the market.  Mind didn't retain. :-[   What was the name of the product please?

P

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2024, 08:12:43 AM »

Puff, it was ZipFit sheets! They are wonderful!  https://quickzip.com/pages/zipfittedsheet?utm_source=gsn&utm_medium=cpc_targetroas&utm_campaign=ziporzipper-nonbrand_exact&utm_content=responsive&msclkid=f91bacd19c471ffc4af6c9458b4aa3f4&utm_term=zipper%20fitted%20sheet  Is your birthday on the 8!h, the same as Elvis? It was also Kay's birthday...

Phyl, love the 365, I have been in some of the northern Minnesota forests, but not in the winter!  They are beautiful in the summer as well! We used to canoe the Current River in Southern Missouri, one of the guides told us that the most beautiful time to canoe the river was after a good snow. I always thought it would be so peaceful and pretty but never dared to try...  I love sauerkraut, but not the kind with the caraway seeds in it. Is that the Bavarian? I made sauerkraut once, decades ago...

kb, good luck with your short ribs! And the ice, hope it diminishes some today!

This is a long but interesting read. It was on a FB page so I couldn't post the link.

McGee Equine & Livestock Farrier Service, Rescue, and Rehabilitation December 31, 2023 at 3:09 AM  ·
The Horse Manure Problem of 1894
The 15 to 30 pounds of manure produced daily by each beast multiplied by the 150,000+ horses in New York city resulted in more than three million pounds of horse manure per day that somehow needed to be disposed of. That’s not to mention the daily 40,000 gallons of horse urine.
In other words, cities reeked. As Morris says, the “stench was omnipresent.” Here are some fun bits from his article:
Urban streets were minefields that needed to be navigated with the greatest care. “Crossing sweepers” stood on street corners; for a fee they would clear a path through the mire for pedestrians. Wet weather turned the streets into swamps and rivers of muck, but dry weather brought little improvement; the manure turned to dust, which was then whipped up by the wind, choking pedestrians and coating buildings.
. . . even when it had been removed from the streets the manure piled up faster than it could be disposed of . . . early in the century farmers were happy to pay good money for the manure, by the end of the 1800s stable owners had to pay to have it carted off. As a result of this glut . . . vacant lots in cities across America became piled high with manure; in New York these sometimes rose to forty and even sixty feet.
We need to remind ourselves that horse manure is an ideal breeding ground for flies, which spread disease. Morris reports that deadly outbreaks of typhoid and “infant diarrheal diseases can be traced to spikes in the fly population.”
Comparing fatalities associated with horse-related accidents in 1916 Chicago versus automobile accidents in 1997, he concludes that people were killed nearly seven times more often back in the good old days. The reasons for this are straightforward:
. . . horse-drawn vehicles have an engine with a mind of its own. The skittishness of horses added a dangerous level of unpredictability to nineteenth-century transportation. This was particularly true in a bustling urban environment, full of surprises that could shock and spook the animals. Horses often stampeded, but a more common danger came from horses kicking, biting, or trampling bystanders. Children were particularly at risk.
Falls, injuries, and maltreatment also took a toll on the horses themselves. Data cited by Morris indicates that, in 1880, more than 3 dozen dead horses were cleared from New York streets each day (nearly 15,000 a year).

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2024, 08:22:52 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Phyl - Your NY Day dinner sounded yummy.  Thanks for the 365.

karen - Your bowl of painted  glass vegetables and fruit, your and a crystal bowl of strawberries and another of mixed fruit, sounds really pretty.

baz - Hope you and Zippo had a good New Year's!

Lori - Those gifs of E23 are great.  Thanks  :D

Lani - You're welcome.  I have a similar screen shot of HM & HD, so I knew it was them.  :D

clynn - Love the name you have picked out for the kitties.  You have a busy morning!

kb - Be careful stepping out.  Short ribs sounds good. 

Puff, tsk, tig and all - Morning  :)

kbshcb

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2024, 08:34:01 AM »

I just can't believe the emotional intelligence of this 4 year old...I'm serious.
I know of many older adults not this capable...Have to watch till the end. Just over 2 minutes.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1741957477292503449

Saw my first city plow truck with salt in the bed drive by....bed was not up nor the spinning wheel...
Hmm, at least they have returned from vacation. Maybe only dropping at intersections?

Lisa - I won't head out till at least noon so the hoar frost goes away and the temp close to 32..just to try it out.

Edit: Ha, the spinning of dropping salt just drove by....down the middle of my road...still, the fact they never plowed means the snow/ice along the curb line where one walks won't improve until temps melt it for long enough. But, I will be able to walk down the middle of the street sometime today me thinks. Haven't yet gotten a response to my email.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:47:43 AM by kbshcb »

karengramke

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2024, 09:43:05 AM »

Good Morning!  33 degrees earlier when I let Piper put!  Will be up to 55!  A bright sunny day!

Kb, didn’t you have some things you put on your shoes to walk more safely in bad weather?   Better that rather than adding more salt to an already too salty earth!

Clynn, very busy morning for you!   Good names for the kitties!  Will sam become Sammy?
My glass ornaments are not the glass like Phyls pretty green glass. But the Christmas ornament glass that shatters easily!

kbshcb

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2024, 10:09:28 AM »

Karen - of course but with this kind of ice one still slips even with cleats on. I walk Ollie who also can pull and whom btw doesn't wear cleats, LOL. I lost my GSD Walter in his elder years when he slipped on my deck.

The industrial strength and volume poured on our highways each system is the true source of salt. Not my little neighborhood as multiple other smaller suburbs agree....broken bones and isolated people and pets do not line up with environmentally friendly either We are a designated bike and pedestrian town already....it is overzealous to not want to keep people safe and alive.

They also didn't plow which would have helped immensely.

Our trucks also are fitted with some sort of calibration system that doesn't drop too much...and a less toxic mixture.

False narratives would make this state uninhabitable in the winter....It's way under done already.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2024, 10:44:45 AM »

HI EVERYONE

Morning got away from me!!!    We just had the 4th warmest December on record  :o :o

EAGLES   I too no longer drive at night unless local and close and I know where I'm going.   BUT  I think Barb thought it would be lighter but it was OK as I knew where I was going  LOL.  Seeing you mention Star - would you get another pup again??

BAZI   Good way to get rid of 2023 - just let the cat do its thing  LOL

CLYNN   Sam and Sophie it is   ;D ;D ;D   How do you tell them apart???   Boy, you have a busy AM!  Sure glad I did not live in the 1880s  :o :o

LISA   Love that knitted cup cozy

PHYL   Loved that Minnesota northern woods video 365 - peaceful  :)

KB   An that little boy learned all that from his wonderful Mama who at an early age gives her little boy, life lessons - Beautiful!!!
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2024, 10:56:26 AM »

kb  tsk  Almost hard to believe the maturity/vocabulary/logic in a 4 year old.  Hope the interaction for him continues.  They'll have an experience to charish.

What a position to handle for parents.

I would be hard-pressed to bring up a 22 year old with the same development.

P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 06:59:29 AM by Puff »

Puff

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2024, 11:05:20 AM »

Thanks for the ZipFit clue clynn.

Elvis only made it to 43 (1977)  So sad a loss of such a talent.  I've managed to squeak out 80.   EEEEEK  80?

You mentioned Kay - Kay who?

P

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2024, 11:37:18 AM »

Good Monday morning Beakers!
Hi Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Hi Karen, Eagles  :)

Tsk, Mike and I can't drive at night anymore, even with glasses.

Kb, that's just like Milo, always in my face for food, even when his dish is full. He hates leftovers.  :-\ ... Enjoy your short ribs and stay warm.... oh my, this child is old soul wise on so many levels. I love how his mother is relating to him, she's down on his level and eye contact, gentle voice. His parents have instilled such a wonderful sense of a self confidence and rational reasoning in him. Goodness, I'm a bit teary. I wish I done a better job. LOL!

Phyl, thank you for today's gorgeous fly over nature video.

{{{Clynn}}} Hugs and prayers for your blood work and appts.... Love, Love, Love, new babies names for Sam and Sophie!  ;D :-* .... What a beautiful furry family of Harley, Sam and Sophie!  :-* .. new perm a great start for the new year.  :-*

Puff,   :-*

Have a good day Everyone!  ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2024, 11:54:59 AM »

Well, I'm going to wait a day to melt more before I take that walk with Ollie.

I met my mailman at the door, I know him well and he knows Ollie well, and asked him how the streets were for walking.

He said i just fell right on this street and pointed it out to me...we then had a lengthy conversation how bad it is and how unnecessary given they have plenty of salt and money this year, shaking our heads.
Hope he sues them....or reports it at least to have them wake up!

I saved the clip of my video showing him falling, mail flown everywhere. He did get up so assume he'll be sore but okay.

Of course we laughed we both could walk in the middle of the street!..it's dry there and get hit by a car.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:20:44 PM by kbshcb »

LisaG1967

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2024, 02:07:26 PM »

kb - Aww, the 4 yr old! Glad to hear the salt trucks drove by.  I hope you were able to get out.

karen - Oh, so very fragile glass? 

tsk - There you are!  :D 

Puff - You look great for 80!

Lani - Cute morning greeting. 

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2024, 02:14:28 PM »

Bazi  I intended to post this yesterday for Zippo's birthday.

Wishing you, Zippo, a very ...

abelit 'belated'. May you always have bird seed...fresh cage liners and treats.

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam