Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 409525 times)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #390 on: January 12, 2024, 05:51:49 PM »

This is where we fished for some 20 years, but only Spring or Fall  :P
https://www.lake-link.com/minnesota-lakes/pope-county/pelican-lake/9021/
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #391 on: January 12, 2024, 06:02:16 PM »

Scott (my Scott) caught his big muskie through the ice on Rush Lake, MN....at the time it was the state record.
I don't know how to do the maps you guys did, LOL.

My sis says my nephew Scott is happy to catch a Northern or Walleye through the ice as he likes to cook.
They are staying till Sunday. It just surprised me how fancy it all seemed to me when she spoke about it! I didn't know one could rent an ice house.

My shed at the bottom of my hill in back is one of Scott's fish houses....so he did have 4 walls at times!
I don't know if he did when he caught the big one or not as I didn't know him then. But if I recall from his story he threw it out I think of a door so must have. Maybe that shed is the one? He had 5 on lakes at one time he said. Most were portables. I never ice fished myself so I don't know for sure, other than that Muskie on my wall and pics I have of him catching fish through the ice.

After we married he never went hunting or fishing again. I know I know, don't say it....whatever it is they say. It was on him not because of me. He became a real homebody...even more than I needed, LOL

Whatever it's darn cold today although no snow at Breezy point that I can tell.
I'm sure a memory those guys will have forever.

LisaG1967

« Reply #392 on: January 12, 2024, 06:21:04 PM »

BL - Snow Swath?  I have never heard that term before, and it looks like I am in it.

E4E:)

tig - Oh, 85° pool sounds wonderful.  What movie did you see?

Have a good night, everyone  :)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #393 on: January 12, 2024, 06:22:18 PM »

BL   The earlier map had every state with A.W.W  :o :o   What a story about the metal detector!! 

EAGLES   Cute gif this afternoon. ;D    Tim seldom ever has to go out.  He just likes to  LOLOL

BL   Yes we will be in the deep freeze for a few days.  Then when we warm up to the 30's we can put our shorts on  LOLOL

TIG   What movie?

KB   I just googled Ice fishing house - WOW  comforts of home  LOL   Take notes from BL's experience  ;D ;D   Scott smiling down on Scott -  ;D
Chicagoland

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #394 on: January 12, 2024, 06:24:52 PM »

a "shoot .em up" ... The Beekeeper. Typical.
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

BrokenLug

« Reply #395 on: January 12, 2024, 07:09:08 PM »

This is where we fished for some 20 years, but only Spring or Fall  :P
https://www.lake-link.com/minnesota-lakes/pope-county/pelican-lake/9021/

Ok now that's really cool campesrtig.  8)

That is at least the 7th Lake Minnewaska I know of .. it being right next to your Pelican Lake in MN is way cool.   

There's one up the road from us in NY with the same name and spelling. 

An absolute riot in the Fall.

Minnewaska roughly means.

Quote from: SUNY New Paltz:
The word is believed to derive from two words, “mini” or “mine,” meaning “water,” and “waste,” meaning “good,” from the language of the Dakota (Sioux) nation, which was not local to the Hudson Valley region.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:26:27 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Emyrauld

« Reply #396 on: January 12, 2024, 07:26:19 PM »

This is getting silly.  According to this Mastodon post, flights are being cancelled because it is too cold to de-ice the planes.  And to top it off we have a power grid warning to reduce electricity because 2 gas generators are down.  I will be fine…but could be seriously inconvenienced if this keeps up for any length of time.  We had the warmest December ever, I need to accept this  cold spell gracefully.

A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

BrokenLug

« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2024, 07:31:10 PM »

Emyrauld I sure hope you have there an "off the grid" alternative heat source ?
U. S. A.

BrokenLug

« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2024, 07:42:25 PM »

Scott (my Scott) caught his big muskie through the ice on Rush Lake, MN....at the time it was the state record.

I don't know how to do the maps you guys did, LOL.

My sis says my nephew Scott is happy to catch a Northern or Walleye through the ice as he likes to cook.
They are staying till Sunday. It just surprised me how fancy it all seemed to me when she spoke about it! I didn't know one could rent an ice house.

My shed at the bottom of my hill in back is one of Scott's fish houses....so he did have 4 walls at times!
I don't know if he did when he caught the big one or not as I didn't know him then. But if I recall from his story he threw it out I think of a door so must have. Maybe that shed is the one? He had 5 on lakes at one time he said. Most were portables. I never ice fished myself so I don't know for sure, other than that Muskie on my wall and pics I have of him catching fish through the ice.

After we married he never went hunting or fishing again. I know I know, don't say it....whatever it is they say. It was on him not because of me. He became a real homebody...even more than I needed, LOL

Whatever it's darn cold today although no snow at Breezy point that I can tell.
I'm sure a memory those guys will have forever.

Again younger bones. Whiskey involved. How old is your nephew kb ?
No matter.

I want to shoot you a cool topo map image of Rush Lake, MN.

As camperstig pointed out there is more than just one however ?

How many lakes are you folks up to now ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:55:36 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #399 on: January 12, 2024, 07:52:24 PM »

My nephew is a year older than my son. He'll be 37 in June.

He has a wife and not yet 1 year old daughter shivering with a lot more snow than we got up here in
Rochester MN....yep, he's up north having "fun" in the cold ice fishing and she's at home hopefully not having to go anywhere.

Actually my nephew Scott grew up fishing, hunting, golfing, cross country skiing etc. etc..
But now he's a Doctor of Pharmacy at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester mostly now teaching interns..
So I think he may have gotten soft....LOL

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2024, 08:53:15 PM »

Karen Jim is on Augmentin, Methyl prednisone  Z pak  and some tiny gel cap for cough. He's never had temp and is Covid free. Another 'bout of pneumonia.

Tsk/Lisa  ;)

KB jewelry---got it. Dr. of Pharmacology  @ Mayo  Clinic   ;)

BL tks for the extra info and all. I'll digest it later.  ;)

Emy glad you;ll be fine. But do take extra care one just never knows.

Tig  I've seen 'The Beekeeper' advertized . A true 'action' flick and then some.
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2024, 09:02:31 PM »

Good Night Everyone...SEDs 

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

Emyrauld

« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2024, 09:28:24 PM »

BL:  the system regulator is preparing to bring the reserve supply on stream, and if worse came to pass they would resort to rolling black outs where we would a be without power for a couple of hours at a time.  Personally, we have a small gas fireplace upstairs, lots of warm clothing.  Tricks we can use include filling up the bathtub and sinks with hot water and make sure the curtains and blinds are all fully closed.  If anything gives us trouble its the furnace.  Our usual goto is turning on the ovens and opening the oven doors.  With them being electric ovens that could be a challenge. 

We got the gas fireplace after the furnace conked  out at close to minus -40 anout 5 or 6 years ago.  With our first cold spell not coming until mid January, we can rejoice in that it is only a few months until spring
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Puff

« Reply #403 on: January 12, 2024, 09:57:24 PM »

Only because I book trips there, I get Steamboat selling helps.  So far this season they've had 14 feet of snow - with a promise this weekend for 50" more.  So now we hear from another winter group of diehards. 

Again, from this mountain gal - never downhill skied.  Most CO natives do cross country.  It's a lot more enjoyable leisurely doing winter hiking (aka cross country) then you get to see/watch the beauty, magnificence of the surroundings.

Love the promo ads they send us to pump up and share the grandeur.

P     
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 09:59:36 PM by Puff »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #404 on: January 12, 2024, 09:57:46 PM »

KB - which Pelican? There are 5...   ::)

camperstig the one where it's 2 degrees in MN.    :P

https://tinyurl.com/yvjhvnuq

I've been in some ice fishing huts on skids over the years that would make a worthy north woods cabin cry uncle to the "coziness" of it all.   :)

kb cool cool. And BTW Scott is smiling from his grave.  :-* 

As the hook it mantra goes may your nephews Muskie fit thru his ice hole.    ;)

In my ice fishing experience the best thing ever caught in one is a really cold morning hangover.  ;) ;)

What a great pic! Looks like a fun day for all! It would make a great puzzle!  ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander