Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 315302 times)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2024, 12:03:18 PM »

CLYNN  Loved the geese walking LOL   Dramatic pic of the pine branches  :o   Awww  such sweet pics of Sydney and Bella
Tim just got home.  He left at 6:30 and was slower going down in the Peninsula but X-ways good.  What a mess on I80  :o
Sure seems like we got more snow days when we were kids!

PHYL   " Sinking feeling" is right.  Interesting.   Loved 365 today

KB   Your orchid is gorgeous!

LANI   I wasn't confused either..  I'd been to Grand Canyon  LOL   Fly strike sounds horrible.  Glad they have a solution for that.   gray seal made me laugh  ;D ;D

BL  Interesting map of your childhood home location.

LISA   Tim now home safe and sound.  X-ways in good shape.   He likes driving around the peninsula and noticing all the new building - lots of new condo's going up and construction galore.  Of course not much is open esp on M T W  but he knew that.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2024, 12:56:30 PM »

tsk - so good to hear!

I left shortly after my post....twas greasy on the way there so I took a different way home which was wet/dry.
Surprised as York ave greasy, France clean.....go figure. They are only .5 mile apart...
Yah! I officially cut the cord...after 25 years of service the guy taking in my equipment back was a robot. The peeps on the phone were trying to keep us but nice when we said no.

Even got a walk in with Ollie later...now snowing lightly....think it might be a week or more Ollie man with the cold temps coming in...I mean like highs of below zero.

BrokenLug

« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2024, 01:00:37 PM »

Our Rutt, near Borup MN...not that far away from Georgetown where last seen many days ago.
Admin posted earlier today pics coming of our Rutt...that post is gone now, and this one is at top of page, so I assume this is what she was waiting for...?

KB Rutt's updated travel map. 475 miles and counting from Alton, IA.   :)   8)

KB The Rutt map has been updated once again today 01/10/24.
His original confirmed sightings have now been added. 1 in Flandreau, SD on 09/16/23 & 1 in Rock Valley, IA on 09/22/23.
As approved by the Admins.   :)

Quote from: Michelle Pip on FB
Rutt's travel map updated 01/10/2024.

Rutt's track up to 01/09/2024 ...

Some Rutt stats so far ..
From Flandreau, SD on 09/16/2023 (1st sighting).
- to -
Borup, MN on 01/09/2024 = 115 Days

Point to Point STRAIGHT LINE miles = 555 and counting.

A daily moving average (if he moved every day the same distance) which he did not = 4.8 miles per day.

Rutt obviously traveled many more miles than 555:
A) he doesn't hoof it in a straight line and ..
B) we have no way of knowing where his journey really started this season.

>> GO RUTT GO >>

I will update this map as sightings are confirmed by the Admins of this FB Group. See less
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:04:27 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #318 on: January 10, 2024, 01:44:57 PM »

BL- yes I saw it was approved...South Dakota his first siting....I tried to follow the Red River from ND south, assuming of course he left Canada or even just the Dakotas to escape the fire this last summer. I was surprised how hard it was to follow it (Red River) on google maps...I assumed he went south and somehow crossed it or went south enough that he didn't have to?...before once again heading north through IA and then MN...Can you see where the Red River ends up?

It's exciting for me to see where Rutt ends up. And let's hope Canada escapes fires once again this upcoming summer.

kbshcb

« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2024, 01:52:19 PM »

BL - hmm, I'm reading wikipedia about the Red River now.....I guess it flows north!...who knew..so Rutt apparently had plenty of room to cross into IA or MN at the areas he did without worrying about it.
Confirm for me if you agree.

Edit: I'm obsessed with him crossing the Big Red...it now appears to me he may never have come from ND...but maybe south from even MN and crossed to SD...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 02:02:16 PM by kbshcb »

BrokenLug

« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2024, 01:54:49 PM »

BL  Interesting map of your childhood home location.

Tsk you might find this interesting.

At the east end of Old Stone Church Rd & the int of 75/East Saddle River Rd. Map image below.
Sits this gorgeous church. You guessed it it's the Old Stone Church.   ;)

https://www.revolutionarywarnewjersey.com/new_jersey_revolutionary_war_sites/towns/upper_saddle_river_nj_revolutionary_war_sites.htm

My parents and brother are buried in that churches very historic cemetery. It's a very peaceful resting place high above but looking down on the east branch of the Saddle River under a lovely white dogwood tree that's under towering old oak trees with a stone bench for reflection. 
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2024, 03:02:32 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1745166862327902303

Doggie and horsie....soul mates....one of the sweetest things I've seen.

oldguy

« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2024, 03:28:29 PM »

Hello Beakers

I got my snow removal completed this afternoon - did get some help from a neighbor boy (about 10), so ready to do it all over again on Friday after another 8-10 inches... :P

KB - the Red river starts at Wahpeton ND - with the merging of the Bois de Sioux River (drains the area to the south) and Otter Tail River (drains from MN)  The Big Sioux River runs thru Flandreau (heading south) but is not very big.  Interestingly, there is no river along the SD/MN border south of Ortonville MN to the Iowa border.

Maru enjoys to his heart's content the Osechi box he fit into with effort   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjAFNi7Oc8

Penny wants snow, PENNY GETS SNOW!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvGBLzJMoRQ

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

BrokenLug

« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2024, 03:50:23 PM »

BL - hmm, I'm reading wikipedia about the Red River now.....I guess it flows north!...who knew..so Rutt apparently had plenty of room to cross into IA or MN at the areas he did without worrying about it.
Confirm for me if you agree.

Edit: I'm obsessed with him crossing the Big Red...it now appears to me he may never have come from ND...but maybe south from even MN and crossed to SD...

Yes the Red River of the North does in fact flow from S to N kb.

Good catch kb we also assumed incorrectly the RR flowed N to S.

It looks like the Red River begins in Wahpeton, ND / Breckenridge, MN and does flow north forming part of the border between ND and MN.

It begins in name at the confluence of the Otter Tail River and the Bois De Sioux river there. Image.

We were also a bit confused on the rivers that Rutt did or did not have to cross to get into northeast IA from SD.
Don't forget the drought conditions this past Summer/Fall in that area.
Very low river levels might have played a part in Rutt's "unusual" track.
He might have had to only had to cross stoney river bottoms with a trickle in them.

Mature moose are great swimmers however, I've seen them swimming miles from shore on big lakes just for the shits and giggles of it.   ;D

Fast moving water may have triggered the no I don't think so instinct especially in a young moose not use to 'moving' water. 

The Red River was in flood between MN and ND when he got to Georgetown MN on 12 /30-31/ 2023.
He might as a young male moose been like what the heck is all that river noise all about_ head east young man.
Plenty of good crop pickings with low snow load right here in MN.

kb I thank you for turning me onto Rutt's big adventure.    8)
I'm not a big follower of social media, but this FB group was very positive and cool.

The best part of it all is we'll never know exactly where he came from , or why he did what he did , and where he's going ..  :)
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2024, 04:34:29 PM »

Thank you both, oldguy and BL.

I find it interesting and do consider the big rivers important on his journey both coming south and north.

Just have to add, the Big Red is too treacherous at some points in the season and the area...I hope he does have that instinct...as I assume he must!

We shall all have to see!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:36:17 PM by kbshcb »

BrokenLug

« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2024, 05:06:22 PM »

All on the same page we see.   :-*
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #326 on: January 10, 2024, 05:31:14 PM »

Lani - Thanks for the Royal update.  Very interesting about the candling. Thanks for letting us know the Seal cam is live.  Safe travels for Mike.  :)

tsk - Glad to hear that Tim has arrived home safely.  Why are things not open on a M T W?  Is it like a tourist town?

kb - Glad to hear that you and Ollie got a lil walk in today.

BL - Beautiful church

oldguy - Glad you got some help on the snow removal.

Phyl - Hope you got a good report at the docs.

Good night, everyone

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2024, 05:33:14 PM »

Hi Beakers!

scattered showers today - 50 deg.

Clynn - I bet you & the Munchkins had a great time together.  So nice that Erin & DIL help you with things that need to get done!!  Good for Erin making a little $$ on the side with your neighbors! :)
Just saw the snow pictures - lots! ::)   Darling pics of Sydney, Bella & kittens!   Like the fun pic of Talon & Bella in the snow!

Phyl - Kris had finished his 'project' in one day!  We had squeeky box springs on our Cal-King bed and finally he decided to 'fix' the problem!  We are so happy and comfortable with our quiet bed now!  The wood and hardware had cost about $145.00, and it was well worth it!
Thank you for links! 

Lani - Safe travels for Mike!  I think you said he will be back on Friday??  Scary to be traveling in all this winter weather!    Thank you for Albatross updates.  Great picture of LGK!

Kb - Your orchid is doing really well! :)     Just watched the horsie & doggie vid - so precious!!!! :-* :-*

Bl - Good that you & Pip live on high ground. Always nice when you don't lose power! :)  Thanks for posting the flood advisory / interesting map & data of flooding - very amazing.
Beautiful old stone church and the cemetery grounds look so lovely.  Your parents & brother {{BL}}  So nice of you to share this about your family.  Nice that folks who visit can sit on that special bench and reflect.

Tsk - Glad Tim is back home now! :)

Og - So happy that you got help with the snow removal!!  It sounds like the boy will help you again on Friday!! That's great!

Hi Karen, Puff, Baz, Lori, Tig  :)

We had a wonderful evening with Kris' sister & her fiance, and stayed up until midnight!!  They left around 12:30 pm today and it should probably take about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs to arrive in Napa.   We didn't ask if they've set a wedding date yet!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2024, 06:29:39 PM »

KB   Didn't quite understand .  When you went to the Comcast store to return your cable box - a robot?  How sweet was that the horse and dog companions.  :-*

BL   I travelled a lot with a girlfriend for many years and one of our favorite things when hiking or the like was to go through old cemeteries.  You can get a lot of cool pics in them.  This is so cool that your parents/brother are buried at this historic site.  Thanks for sharing the pics.

OLDGUY   What Maru doesn't go through to fit in a box  :o   Penny in that crocheted hat  LOL   Yay for your 10 yr old helper.  ;)  How did you like your new electric shovel?  Snow too heavy for it???

LISA  The Door County peninsula is a very touristy place in season.  In the winter many stores and restaurants will stay open for the long weekends Th - Sunday for those who like to use the parks for cross country skiing or hiking or who  just like to be up there in the winter when it is SO quiet and you can cross the main drag without even looking  for any cars  LOL
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2024, 06:58:28 PM »

tsk - sorry, let me clarify. A real human acted like a "robot"...wouldn't make eye contact. Made me take the boxes out of my paper sack, never spoke. Made me ask for a receipt. His first words then: then show me some id..got the receipt.
Otherwise, sometimes they try to charge you for them...always ask for a receipt.