Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 548112 times)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #2385 on: March 12, 2024, 06:59:17 AM »

GOOD MORNING

BL    Bryce - one of my favorites.  Part of one of our ambitious family camping vacations in the 60s that also took in Palo Duro canyon, Zion. Grand Canyon,  Salt Lake City and the Rockies

EBURGH   Yes it is sad to have those dang geese there.  Eagles need to get that down payment in faster!

LANI   YAY,  You have been excused from jury duty as well.  ;D  Sweet little white peanut last night.  :)
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #2386 on: March 12, 2024, 07:07:19 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, Mother Goose at N1!  Love the Whooper swans in the 365, looks like some courtship going on!  Cute Saint Patty kids! The Flyway looks beautiful!

Lani, yes, I am sad about Keebler...but Annette gave him the best life and he was so loved... I am happy for that...

Wild Heart Ranch - He’s buried with one Teddy and another watching over him. One of the hardest days of my life. We will all miss our little Monkey Man.💚

tsk, we hit 75 yesterday, so you should have a very nice day today!

E4E, oh that sweet Koala!

Rattlesnake Canyon - Arizona

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

kbshcb

« Reply #2387 on: March 12, 2024, 07:48:27 AM »

An adult Caracara teaching it's young how to dust bathe.

and

A young eagle and mother fox sharing a wabbit.

Just two of several favorite Audobon photos. More interestingly is the descriptions underneath the photos by Audobon writers.
https://www.audubon.org/news/our-favorite-fascinating-bird-behaviors-2020-audubon-photo-awards

Happy Tuesday.

LisaG1967

« Reply #2388 on: March 12, 2024, 09:49:28 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

oldguy - I wonder if Lidl's has the Irish soda bread, they are sort of like Aldi's. 

karen - Wish we had a Publix.  I never thought about getting a bread machine.  Does that make the dough for you?

tsk - Acme has re-done where the rotisserie chicken go too.  At the moment they are behind the deli counter with the fried chicken, but they are getting a new heated area out in the open.

E4E - My appointment is always at 10am.  My girl does not come in any earlier than that.  I would love an 8am appt!

Lani - What an adorable good night pic. 

Phyl - I am, too!  Thanks for the RRP blog post and all the cam pics.

clynn - I am saving all the pics you post of different places.  Maybe one day, I will get to see all of these beautiful places you post!

kb - Great morning pics.

I know many don't love the geese in the eagle nests in Decorah, but something is running the eagles away from the hatchery to make them not want to nest in the two eagle nests there.  Is it too many people walking around - getting too close, noise around the hatchery?  It sure is something, just from my observation. I think I would rather see something in the nest, then sit here all day and look at an empty nest.

karengramke

« Reply #2389 on: March 12, 2024, 11:10:23 AM »

Lisa, you put the ingredients in the top of the machine and close the top, push the buttons and some time later you take out a loaf of bread.  I found that it did every thing well except for French bread.  Sold mine at a charity garage sale and wish I still had it.   Publix does have a great bakery however, for all but King Cakes.  I do not think they compare to Nola.   Bread machine is faster than a crock pot!  Lol

Eagles, sorry you are not into March Madness!  I love it and enjoy watching the kids more than the high paid pros!  Lots of fun!

Clynn, nice warm send off for poor Keebler,    Thanks for sharing this sad news.

E23 flapping like crazy this morning!   Looking all over and waiting for breakfast!   Really expected him to take off!   As I was looking atthis nest this am, I observed a lot of traffic on the divided four lane high way and foot traffic on the side walk.   The nest tree is open to the road and the side walk.   There are folks busy in this area.  There is a church adjacent to the property as well.   I say this in comparison to Decorah and it does not seem that  Decorah is busy enough to scare eagles.   While the bluff is remote, the area around WalMart  has to be pretty active.   Ido agree Lisa, something has scared them off and who knows what!  Could it be the activity of atf?    Seems strange to leave a well stocked buffet!
Off to do session one of three sets of my exercises.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2390 on: March 12, 2024, 11:21:42 AM »

CLYNN   Oh how sweet is Keebler's burial site.  :'(    I'd like to hike in Rattlesnack Canyon  :o

KB   Like the bath lesson to the Caracara kids  ;D     Thanks for posting that link.  Great info below - potoo esp

LISA   Like your AM pic.  :)   Costco had Irish soda bread as you came in the store this AM.  Loaves were pretty big but did not have the crystalized sugar I like on the top  ;) ;)   Good point about the hatchery no longer appealing to the eagles - I do think the increased traffic of people and noise is a big contributing factor.

KAREN   I always enjoy the kids vs pros as well.  I won't see all the games but will catch as many as I can.  The Decorah nests are much closer to the streets than in Ft Myers ( I've been there).  People are also closer to the nests in Decorah.  At "Walmart" the nest is no where near the parking lot - but off in the distance. RIGHT LISA?    Good going with trying to continue the best you can with these exercises. A+ for effort.  They are not easy or comfortable.
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #2391 on: March 12, 2024, 11:30:40 AM »

Royal Albatross ~ TF & TFT Chicks Graduate To Larger Green Baskets! 💪 Two Armfuls Of Fluff 😂 3.12.24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-ockxDNTQ&t=6s

Mar 11, 2024
Early in the morning both TFT and TF will do yawns within minutes of one another! They are getting ready for the day and it is Tuesday so that means it is weight day for the chicks at the colony.Today both chicks graduated to a larger green basket!  It now will take two rangers to successfully take their weights! YAY!! 💚🎉 

They weighed TFT first - and this is no little chick anymore! Definitely will need to arms for both TF and TFT. 😣💚🎉  TFT did great and was returned to its nest. Ranger Colin approached TF very carefully. The whistling is to calm and distract the chick while the ranger are working to take their weight. TF tries to bite ranger Colin;s sleeve lol 🥰 So it begins! It is beneficial for the rangers to have long sleeve jackets while working with the chicks.

Boy oh boy did TF looks big this week when Colin but him in the basket! They cover the chicks eyes to keep them calm. The motion of going up in the air coupled with being in a basket could cause a chick to spill its stomach oil if unduly stressed so they go very slowly. 😣💚🎉
TF is then returned to his nest! Colin watches him to make sure he is okay and then they leave. TF then does a wing and body shake!! I can't wait to see how much these chicks weigh this week and will pin the totals to the top of the video! Thank you for watching! Lady Hawk

TF is 5.kg and TFT is 3.2kg! . TF is a big boy!!!! ♥♥ Heaviest chick in the colony this week!! Great job LGL and LGK!! And TFT is almost the same weight that TF was last week and doing well too!

TFT Dad WYL stops and gives a neighborly preening to TF chick :-*

Good morning Beakers!
Hi Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

{{{Karen}}} Thanks for E23 update.... good luck with your exercise sessions.  :)

Lisa, it is much more useful and interesting for Decorah cam watchers to be able to see an occupied nest. I just wish we could watch the little green capped headed goslings a little longer in the nests. LOL! And yet, it is sad to know that maybe the hatchery area has become too busy with human activity or something else of concern for the eagles.

Kb, beautiful and fascinating photos.

Clynn, awww RIP Keebler  :'( .... Rattlesnake Canyon one of the prettiest place to hike.

Phyl, thanks for RRP blog.... pretty sunrise.... early spring season for the swans.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #2392 on: March 12, 2024, 11:35:51 AM »

Toroa/albatross chick dies from swallowing plastic

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2024-media-releases/toroaalbatross-chick-dies-from-swallowing-plastic/

Toroa chick in Dunedin Wildlife Hospital prior to of plastic ingestion. Credit, Dunedin Wildlife Hospital.

The problem with plastics is huge and individual contributions may seem small, but they are meaningful. Also meaningful is when groups, such as families, schools, community groups, businesses etc work on plastic reduction.

If you want to take your plastic free action further, I recommend the Cornell University Civic Ecology Lab Plastics Impact and Action global online course.

https://www.civicecology.org/ https://www.civicecology.or...
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #2393 on: March 12, 2024, 11:58:12 AM »

I found the Irish soda bread, woot woot!!!!  Safeway had just put it out, and it was 2 for $5.  I got me two!

Lani - So sad about the Toroa chick  :'(  Thanks for the info on TF & TFT.  I agree with you, I wish we could watch the goslings for a bit longer after they jump, but I remember last season there was some with the parents around the pond. 

tsk - You are correct on the Walmart nest.  You have to stand on the walking trail, and use your binoculars to see it, or a really good camera lens.

karen - Bread machine faster than a crockpot.  Jeff would kill me If I bought a bread machine.  Bread is his weakness, and it is especially not good for our blood sugar.  We will have to eat this soda bread in moderation.   :D

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #2394 on: March 12, 2024, 12:21:44 PM »

Lani, wonderful update on the Royal chicks! So sad to hear about yet another of God's creatures killed by human laziness. Such a cute little guy...  I love how the Mom's watch over other chicks when they are alone. That's 11 lbs for TF! Wow!

Lisa, glad to hear you found the bread!  I am like Jeff, love my carbs! When I go to Mom's I always get fresh baked sourdough bread from our grocery store bakery for her and my Aunts. It is freshly baked in a brick oven every day, we love to toast it and spread a little homemade strawberry jam on it, along with a cup of tea!

karen, I have wondered too why N1 is not a nest of choice anymore, or N2B for that matter. It must be the increase in traffic in the area, what else could it be?  They are both closer to the fish than any other nest!

Janet from England sent me pictures of something they got in the mail yesterday, the wedding pics are 'pics of pictures' Mom had of Janet and George, our friends in England on their wedding day 3/14/64:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 01:07:36 PM by clynndunn »
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

kbshcb

« Reply #2395 on: March 12, 2024, 12:47:01 PM »

Well, a lovely walk with Ollie man!...esp cause it's now 60 degrees and I saw Mr. Tower on the water tower. I don't see him/her anymore as I moved the couch away from the bay window.

Makes me sad about the Decorah situation, esp. if it's determined to be because of people. A good thing gone wrong?

Eagles4 - you are not alone here. I'm not a Basketball March Madness, or anytime gal either....even though I cheerleaded our basketball team in highschool for 3 years I just never followed the sport. Although I approve of Mike's choice of popcorn at half time, esp. if liberally buttered!

Heading out back now with shorts on to sit in the sun after following up with Dennis and Vi. Both 87. Dennis was in the hospital over the weekend with a UTI...now home but cathed. ..I sure do hope I can maintain their attitudes in later life!..

Lawn mower repair man is also supposedly heading over some time today to pick up my broken lawn mower down the hill. And repair!....People are raking and with the dry grass it seems to me a perfect time to do it. Dennis is mad as heck he can't. I don't rake anymore much, but do bag and air out the dry grass with the mower to help the new grass growth.
Course the over eager environmental city folks would wag their finger if they saw anyone raking yet....they have already let it be known!...bugs ya know, LOL.....I have plenty of bugs in my mostly perennial gardened yard but like to have a nice grassy part.
So, when my lawn mower is returned you can guarantee I'll be out there mowing!

Later.

karengramke

« Reply #2396 on: March 12, 2024, 12:56:10 PM »

Tsk, I know there is a road next to the nest in Decorah , have seen it on the cam but it is not any where toe size of the 4 lane in Ft. Myers. There has to be another  issue.  The Are the black flies still there?

Interesting report on the sweet albies!   Sorry   About  the plastics.   Have stopped buying plastic drinking water and now filter mine in a pitcher.  Dont know what. To do about the  frozen dinner containers.   Some companies are now using a paper kind of dish!

I am also a carb lover!  Bread and Butter is Great!   Lol.

Clynn,, nice royal greeting  to your friend.  Nit clear who the  couples are in the pictures other than Charles and Camilla.  Are they your friend?  Your parents?  One of eVh?

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2397 on: March 12, 2024, 01:16:51 PM »

Some bounce
Our fence is up. The tulips are only peeking about 2 inches so far. Tomorrow, we may clear some day lilies that are intrusive and transplant a couple fern that are too close to our chimney.

Last few hours with Rosie... Maybe.

BBL
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 01:35:02 PM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #2398 on: March 12, 2024, 02:01:26 PM »

Whew, mower picked up for repair...
It's so dry out there I wish many would mow and/or rake their dead grass....we are in such a high fire danger at the moment.
My weather app removed the anticipated rain for tomorrow....

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2399 on: March 12, 2024, 04:27:55 PM »

LANI   Which one of the rangers was doing the whistling?  What bundles of fluff  ;D     I now know why they move so slow other than the obvious of not scaring the chicks.   Can't even read that about the Toroa chick.  :(  Such an unnecessary death - Like lead for eagles!

LISA   I'm grateful that we got to see them for as long as we did.  You never know about the future.  Tim got me soda bread today as well and I immediately toasted a piece for lunch  LOL

CLYNN   Very cool for Janet and George to get congrats from the King himself  ;D

KB   Glad to that little update on Dennis and Vi.  You hadn't mentioned them in a while.   71 here and Tim fertilized and Grub-exd this AM  We are supposed to get rain Thurs.  Think tomorrow I will have time in the afternoon to cut down the roses.
Chicagoland