Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 326270 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #1785 on: February 23, 2024, 10:06:58 AM »

KB handsome wolf couple

CLynn  indeed lots of 'tough cookies' in Beak--cyberly speaking I'm looking at one right now.  ;)   ; I have to have that rusty lantern with the ivy (?)
great 'Good Morning'; thanks for update SF Bay Ospreys great snap of Richmond waiting for his Rosie .  Lofoten Islands Norway-Brrrr!

Tsk   Springy 'Good Morning'---sure wish I could  get in the mode. Just too cold and 'dead' outside my windows  for me'

Nr  great  snap out your window as the new day breaks tks CLynn for sharing; hope all is well.

Lani there's that canine fella  :)   ; tks for correction/update on the Royals;  be safe/have fun in 'the valley'

Lori cute and delicious Wedding anniversary for Bradley and Kelly

Lisa have  you selected a basket for Sydney's Easter goodies?

Jim off at 2pm so we can get lots  accomplished  this afternoon: taking donations to  Good Will/Salvation Army stores, dropping off my magazines to nursing home .  Etc., etc. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 04:25:21 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #1786 on: February 23, 2024, 10:15:37 AM »

Aryana Hummingbird: Eros Takes His First, Brave Steps & Jousts with Faith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4PwF9w

Eros behind leaf

Feb 20, 2024
At 22 and 23 days post-hatch, Eros and Faith are preparing for a life beyond the confines of the nest. Eros is the first to venture forth...at least a little bit. You can watch that earlier scene, in a shorter clip. Here, he takes his first, brave steps onto an adjacent branch; forages for insects among its leaves; cozies up to Aryana for nectar slurry; and engages Faith in a friendly jousting match afterward. Fun times!

But does this count as a fledge? Not quite. In a true fledge, our Fledge Watch Contest rules say, "a nestling uses both wings to achieve liftoff, and both feet leave the nest--no one-footed hops or touch-backs on any part of the nest rim or a nearby branch." So Fledge Watch continues!

For newcomers to this nest, and those who want a quick refresher course:

Q: Who is Aryana Hummingbird?
A: Aryana Hummingbird is an Allen's hummingbird who's raising her first clutch of the 2024 nesting season in a Gartenmeister Fuchsia. Her babies, Eros and Faith, are 21 & 22 days old. Thanks to Explore.org, we're able to watch the entire nesting process, from egg to fledge.

Q: How much do these nestlings weigh right now?
A: It's hard to give an exact answer, but a mature adult Allen's hummingbird weighs between 2 - 4 grams (the average being about 3 grams). Since they're not yet fledglings, it's fair to guess that they'd come in at
the lighter end of that range. So...2 grams, then, if not slightly less. How does that compare to the weight of everyday objects? Well, these items weigh approximately 1 gram apiece, so pick any two: a paper clip, a raisin, a U.S. dollar bill, the cap of a disposable Bic pen, and 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
Short answer: They're feather-light!

NEST DATA:
Aryana is a non-migrating Allen's Hummingbird who lives in the coastal area of Southern California. She's raising her first clutch of the 2024 mating season in a Gartenmeister Fuchsia.

Nest building efforts first spotted on December 25, 2023
Egg laying: Jan 12, 2023 at 6:49 a.m. and Jan 14 at 6:58 a.m.
Incubation period started on January 14th, at 6:58 a.m.
Faith's hatch occurred on January 29th--Day 16 of the incubation period. Eros hatched the next day (January 30th).
*FLEDGE WATCH: 20-28 days is the estimated timeframe from hatch to fledge.

#Istandwith Evan

LisaG1967

« Reply #1787 on: February 23, 2024, 11:21:00 AM »

karen - Not sure if B&K will do anything today, as K works from 6pm to 6am Thurs - Sat.  They may do something on Sunday.  I think her mother moves in next month, sometime. 

Phyl - I have seen a couple Easter baskets that I like at Pottery Barn, that I can get her name monogrammed on them.   Thanks for hummer info. 

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #1788 on: February 23, 2024, 11:49:07 AM »

For Bradley & Kelly!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #1789 on: February 23, 2024, 01:58:27 PM »

CLYNN  Who could resist NR's photo - I call those a "God moment"

LANI   Love the "hip" pooch  ;D  Enjoy the day in the Valley and thanks for the albie report.

PHYL  Sauces had a survivor last year right?   Aryana - Awww. :)
Chicagoland

BrokenLug

« Reply #1790 on: February 23, 2024, 02:03:22 PM »

Stunning photo.

The she-wolf has this habit of wrapping herself around the neck of her wolf because the neck is the most vulnerable part of the animal.
By doing so, she shows him her unconditional love.
For ethologists: Wolves are the most loyal and loving animals: they have only one partner throughout their life. The wolf is known to have an almost extraordinary tenderness and affection towards his she-wolf...which she knows perfectly well to return

Happy Friday all.

Did someone mention wolves ?   :)
Check out this webcam footage from yesterday at Old Faithful in Yellowstone N.P.    8)

I guess this pack likes it when there are not so many tourists around .. it was their park 1st after all.   ;D

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/02/22/webcam-watchers-go-nuts-as-yellowstone-wolves-play-near-old-faithful-like-tourists/
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #1791 on: February 23, 2024, 02:24:59 PM »

Stunning photo.

The she-wolf has this habit of wrapping herself around the neck of her wolf because the neck is the most vulnerable part of the animal.
By doing so, she shows him her unconditional love.
For ethologists: Wolves are the most loyal and loving animals: they have only one partner throughout their life. The wolf is known to have an almost extraordinary tenderness and affection towards his she-wolf...which she knows perfectly well to return

Happy Friday all.

Did someone mention wolves ?   :)
Check out this webcam footage from yesterday at Old Faithful in Yellowstone N.P.    8)

I guess this pack likes it when there are not so many tourists around .. it was their park 1st after all.   ;D

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/02/22/webcam-watchers-go-nuts-as-yellowstone-wolves-play-near-old-faithful-like-tourists/

Very cool, BL....interesting the one who took a short cut across the water/ice.  Just stay away from Rutt please. ;) ;)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #1792 on: February 23, 2024, 02:58:37 PM »

WOOT!! HAPPY FRIDAY, BEAKERS!   ;D

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #1793 on: February 23, 2024, 03:03:49 PM »

HAPPY 1st ANNIVERSARY, BRADLEY AND KELLY!!  :D :-* :-*

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #1794 on: February 23, 2024, 04:59:05 PM »

BL   How cool is that to be a wolf tracker in Yellowstone.  :o

BAZI   Love your Friday commenters  ;D

Off to pick up our Fish Fry from the Knights of Columbus at church  ;) ;)
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #1795 on: February 23, 2024, 05:09:50 PM »

tsk, ooh, church fish fry sounds good! There are these food trucks called On The Hook. They travel all over the Midwest. They have a FB page and will let you know when they will be in your area. It's one day and when they run out of cod they're done! It is so good, there is always a line...

Phyl, wow, the Hummers sure do grow fast, seems like they were just hatched a couple of days ago! I sure do hope the Sauces nest has good luck this year! Newman is looking good!

baz, I think you are happy it's Friday! Love the little girl on the roller skates! I have seen her with other captions, so cute!

Beautiful wolves!

Lani, hope you and Mike are having a good day in the Valley! Your Fur kids will be glad to see you when you get home! Becky and Jennifer have been at Moms for 2 weeks, they left for Oregon this morning. They take both their cats, Molly and Lucy, they have it all figured out! They have made the trip 9 or 10 times since Dad passed away. It's a long 3+ day trip each way, 2,195 miles.

Lori, love that cake for Bradley and Kelly!

Lisa, I haven't started on the Easter baskets for the Munchkins yet, seems like I just finished with the Valentine stuff! Easter is early this year!

tsk, baz, I got a bottle of that Folex while I was at Lowes earlier! Haven't tried it yet. I love recommendations!

SWFL - 02-22-24  E23 taking in the sunshine this afternoon with beautiful heraldic poses 🦅

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #1796 on: February 23, 2024, 06:12:40 PM »

CLYNN   For Feb and March - the On the Hook food truck is nowhere near me  :(      WOW  2,195 miles.  Bless the two of those girls for making that trip.  Quite an adventure each time.     Well I figure it is worth a try with Folex as it comes from a very reputable service.  But maybe every carpet company has their own recommendations - which is how I got several of my spot removers...sigh
Chicagoland

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #1797 on: February 23, 2024, 07:18:39 PM »

bounce

I tried a hot honey pepperoni pizza tonite. Not bad... but I'm not really a fan of pepperoni. LOL. I would buy a bottle of hot honey to try on chicken but it is too expensive. There are recipes for hot honey, but I think I am too lazy to try. Oh well...

Enjoyed the posts today...

SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Phyl

« Reply #1798 on: February 23, 2024, 07:58:30 PM »

Tig   Jim would love 'hot honey'.  ;)  I'll have to hunt some up. Tks

CLynn  Hook fish truck, haven't seen those here. :(       Tks for SWFL - 02-22-24 update E-23 looking 'good'  ;)

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #1799 on: February 23, 2024, 08:02:11 PM »

Tsk, Clynn and Lani there hasn't been a  Sauces nest hatch much less surviving egg since  Dina in spring 2021 that I can confirm. I"'ve scoured the last 2 + years.  Dina was my 'girl'  I love that bald eagle.    Miss and wonder about her quite often.  Since 'they' didn't put a tracking device on  her ---why ?
 I think Anthony was hatched before Dina.   I didn't go back that far  in research this time.

Dina 5-19-21

Dina and her mama.

Dina

#Istandwith Evan