Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2024  (Read 88840 times)

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
Re: Decorah Eagles 2024
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2024, 08:57:00 PM »

Thanks Nora for the pics and the news.
That "other" nest is out on Old Stage Rd., then off on Ranch Road.  And its another Trout Creek.  :)

I'm sounding an alarm.
People should not be happy about the Canadian Geese usurping the eagle nests at the Hatchery.
The geese are a non-native, invasive species and should be discouraged from turning the hatchery from an Eagle Haven (dare I say--"Heaven") into a Goose Gallery where the last thing you do before you get back in the car to leave is clean your shoes off.  Pellet guns are my serious alternative.  Big dogs might help although geese are daunting, nest destruction is a necessity, and natural enemies....probably a threat to eagles too.  Hope RRP does somethin serious and soon or ATF will have no reason to meet at the Hatchery.
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2024, 09:36:09 PM »

"Thanks Nora for the pics and the news.
That "other" nest is out on Old Stage Rd., then off on Ranch Road.  And its another Trout Creek."  :)

eburg--I bet THAT's the other one I heard about out that way and saw a picture one time, but that's not the one I was at today.  I never knew what road that other one was on.  Guess I'll have to check it out, thanks. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2024, 06:55:51 AM »

A few pics from yesterday....HM above N1, and HD below the bluffs

Arcadia

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2024, 08:55:25 AM »

Thank you T40, Nora, Lisa, eburgh and anyone else I forgot.

I agree about the geese being invasive. And the awful mess they leave on the ground.

Nora in IA

« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2024, 12:03:00 PM »

They are invasive and do make a mess, but they are part of nature and they were open nests.

Linda M

« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2024, 12:49:22 PM »

I'm sounding an alarm.
People should not be happy about the Canadian Geese usurping the eagle nests at the Hatchery.
The geese are a non-native, invasive species and should be discouraged from turning the hatchery from an Eagle Haven (dare I say--"Heaven") into a Goose Gallery where the last thing you do before you get back in the car to leave is clean your shoes off.  Pellet guns are my serious alternative.  Big dogs might help although geese are daunting, nest destruction is a necessity, and natural enemies....probably a threat to eagles too.  Hope RRP does somethin serious and soon or ATF will have no reason to meet at the Hatchery.

Eburg, I really dislike your suggestion of pellet guns for control of geese.  If you're hunting, you have an ethical duty to make sure that an animal dies instantly and as far as possible painlessly. That means you don't shoot anything the size of a goose with a pellet gun. You're almost certainly consigning it to a lingering and painful death from infection.

As far as hazing, there are other humane methods available to eliminate geese from an area.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:55:46 PM by Linda M »

eburgbirdwtchr

« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2024, 04:35:43 PM »

OK....replace pellet gun with "sling shot".
And LindaM....please denote other means of hazing geese from an area.  We need to do all that we can to contain the situation we're facing.
I've never shot a pellet gun, but I didn't think a BB-gun would be effective at the ranges of ground to nest firing. 
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.

Nora in IA

« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2024, 04:40:06 PM »

eburgbirdwtchr you have a message  :)

Puff

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2024, 05:03:11 PM »

Guess Who!!!!

I'm really sorry for the worries everyone.  So sorry.  Dropped my cup of tea and thought it was all on the floor and table.  Nope, some got into the keyboard, laptop, and tech told me it burned/shorted out the insides.  He brought in a keyboard for me to use, ordered me a new machine that will probably come Friday - then he'll reload all my "stuff" to new machine. 

Sorry for the scare Clynn (who I was posting to at the time of the big poof), tig, Lisa, Karen, tsk  :-*, Lani, baz.  It was recommended that I start using a sippy cup by tsk.  Cute!

Saw your post Clynn on Route 66.  I actually live about 60 miles away from the original start of the road.  Have some literature that I've followed.  Live 1/2 mile from I55.  South was the original, original.  Somewhere along the process they did leave some of the first base and you can still see it.  They also put up a sign in downtown Chicago claiming a new official starting point, putting it in the Loop on State Street but then switching it again over to Michigan Avenue/Lake Shore Drive.  The for real end of the Route is celebrated not in LA but in Santa Monica.  I visited the pier there and saw their designated spot  in 2023.  There are plans in the work for celebrating the 100 anniversary all along the path across the country.  It's 2026 - I'll be there!

https://www.route66roadtrip.com/route-66-centennial-2026.htm

Feels good to be here.  HUGS

P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:06:15 PM by Puff »

BrokenLug

« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2024, 06:41:04 PM »

I would hazard a guess here.

I highly doubt there will be any BB Gun wildlife "shoeing" going on around here.

U. S. A.

eburgbirdwtchr

« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2024, 07:39:08 PM »

You're probably right BL, but I really dislike those Canadians.  ::)

Linda M

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2024, 12:26:34 PM »

LindaM....please denote other means of hazing geese from an area.  We need to do all that we can to contain the situation we're facing.

A few methods used for hazing geese include dogs, lasers, lights, noise, canine decoys, or oiling the eggs which is what they use in the parks here.  Of course, oiling eggs in a nest up in the trees in Decorah is not possible, I just included it here.  Our parks also use decoys, which need to be moved from time to time.

LisaG1967

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2024, 04:06:02 AM »

From yesterday afternoon - HM was spotted on bluff perch, and a sub-adult flew in to perch with her.   

LisaG1967

« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2024, 12:21:55 PM »

A few morning pics from Decorah - Looks like HM on bluff perch, N1 geese pair, and one of the H's soaring around the pond.

STLbf

« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2024, 04:42:12 PM »

Pretty quiet Sunday at Decorah.  The geese were on N1 for a while, and either HD or HM was perching in the high bluff tree at the same time.  Geese feeding and resting at the pond.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33   Go Up