Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2024  (Read 76964 times)

BrokenLug

Re: Decorah Eagles 2024
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 12:55:22 PM »

STL I think that 'gazebo' is just on the other side of Trout Run on the Hjelle Farm Property.  8)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wQKkYPeMkRB2X8M37
U. S. A.

STLbf

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2024, 03:09:23 PM »

Looks like you are correct, BL.  And how do the property owners feel about having a camera on one of their rooftops?  We'll all watch and learn.

LisaG1967

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2024, 06:27:10 AM »

Pic is courtesy of Oliver, which I have permission from him to post. 

He took this on 12/29, on his visit to Decorah.  Either HM or HD to the left, and the new nest to the right.

STLbf

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2024, 10:49:29 AM »

Lisa, many thanks to Oliver for giving permission to post his pic of the new nest at Decorah.  Do you know if the tall trees where either HM or HD is perching are the same ones at the top of the bluffs that we see with Decorah camera, only from the other side (Pond side)?

This morning, the views are all snowy.

LisaG1967

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2024, 11:15:03 AM »

Lisa, many thanks to Oliver for giving permission to post his pic of the new nest at Decorah.  Do you know if the tall trees where either HM or HD is perching are the same ones at the top of the bluffs that we see with Decorah camera, only from the other side (Pond side)?

This morning, the views are all snowy.

The trees in his pic are on the other side of the bluffs, and cannot be seen with the pavilion cam. 

BrokenLug

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 11:49:30 AM »

Has the "Bluff Nest" been given an official RRP designation yet .. what are we up to N5 ?
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 11:55:06 AM »

Has the "Bluff Nest" been given an official RRP designation yet .. what are we up to N5 ?

I believe we are up to #5.

LisaG1967

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 02:04:33 PM »

A beautiful sub-adult has been hanging around in the pine by the visitors center this afternoon.  It flew out and landed in a nearby tree and back to the pine.

STLbf

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 12:05:17 PM »

Those sub-a eagles are so colorful!  Like they are wearing camouflage suits.

Quiet and not much activity this morning at Decorah.  Pic of HD or HM perching and a flock of small black birds,  maybe grackles, nearby.  They are near N1, and a good eagle flyoff right after on the rewind showing the horse pasture but I missed a pic.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 04:07:43 PM by STLbf »

MNLindaBird

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 10:06:10 AM »

OK...  I continue to perch daily at both the Hatchery and North nests.  So happy to see that the North's don't seem to have a desire to move, and hope their attempts at breeding (and they seem to know how to do that well) will be uninterrupted and successful this upcoming season.

Now, onto my confusions about the Hatchery pair and N1.  I maybe shouldn't ask this question, and I know all supportive efforts for the eagles are all with good intentions.  However, I have been confused from the start about the large number of fish that our human team placed into N1 after maintenance was performed.  I have wondered if that "unlikely in nature" abundant deposit of dead fish in a nest, seemed odd to HD and HM when they took a new seasonal view of the nest they enjoyed last season and if that surprising feast of decaying fish confused them too, or stunk so much they decided to find a new rental nest, or take the big leap of building a brand new nest.

Do appreciate the fact that the Hatchery pair seems to understand the value of the LOCATION to FRESH fish and may not move too far away, and will still hang out for us to continue to enjoy from the many excellent cam positions/views that exist in and around the Hatchery.  I also suspect that, of the many eagles returning to, or passing through the Hatchery area, there may be some who notice that N1 seems available again, and claim that prime spot next season.  Sure hope the geese don't notice the availability too ;)...

Am preparing myself for the snow that keeps missing the Twin Cities in MN so far (yay), but looks as if it may move forward from IA to leave a blanket of white upon us come this afternoon and evening.  Hope everybody is enjoying a good entry into 2024 and finding ways to stay warm for those of us living in the colder regions (or savoring storm shelters for those being blasted by rain, flooding and tornados).  I absolutely DO NOT miss the 90+ inches of snow we suffered through and relocated (for almost six months) last winter.  Meanwhile, I'm fine with just looking at the snow in IA ;D   Best wishes to all RRP enthusiasts and supporters!

STLbf

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 12:34:50 PM »

Linda, I'm sure you are echoing the questions that many of us watchers have about the Hatchery pair.  The best we can do is watch and learn and trust the eagles.  This morning, for example, they are hunkered down in some branchy trees.  I'm not sure if on the Bluffs, at the base, or somewhere near N1.  Stay warm and safe, everybirdie.

LisaG1967

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 12:47:42 PM »

Earlier this morning, HM & HD were perched on backside of the lower bluff tree, and an adult interloper flew into tree and out fairly quickly.  Interloper is under our eagle on branch.

STLbf

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2024, 01:32:26 PM »

Wintery in Decorah today.  HD & HM perched together at the fishing corner for an hour or so this morning.

Puff

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2024, 02:23:25 PM »

STL  But where's the fishing corner?   Thanks.
Thanks for all the info and help you give us.

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2024, 05:39:03 PM »

STL  But where's the fishing corner?   Thanks.
Thanks for all the info and help you give us.

P

Puff, I hope STL doesn't mind, but I am going to answer your question. :D

Fishing perch is below that 1st bluff, to the right of the white house and shed, that is by Trout Run Rd. There is a branch that has fallen over the creek and HM & HD like to perch on that branch to fish.  So, RRP has called that fishing perch.