Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2024  (Read 73823 times)

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
Re: Decorah North Eagles 2024
« Reply #405 on: July 04, 2024, 07:57:38 PM »

Lisa, thanks for the AFT info.  Are you going again this year?  Sadly, again, I'm not.

The eaglets are sticking close together this morning, from perching near the old nest to the  BPT, to soaring about an hour ago.  Parents seem to be elsewhere so far.  No, one of them showed up at the BPT about noon.

I am :)
I hope you have a great trip, Lisa, and I hope you get another chance next year, STL!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

nanimal

« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2024, 07:59:40 PM »

Happy 4th of July to Everybirdie!

Sunrise pics with beautiful color, thanks to the cam ops for the closeups.  About 7:00, eaglets met at DN12's fallen limb over the creek for some good leftovers, and a place to cast a large pellet and play with sticks (no pics for the casting and playing).  At 9:00, both were perching in the BPT.  No views of MrN or DNF yet today.
Thanks, STL! I love the sunrise pic, well, actually all of them! ;)
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston

LisaG1967

« Reply #407 on: July 05, 2024, 07:00:03 AM »

Lisa, thanks for the AFT info.  Are you going again this year?  Sadly, again, I'm not.

The eaglets are sticking close together this morning, from perching near the old nest to the  BPT, to soaring about an hour ago.  Parents seem to be elsewhere so far.  No, one of them showed up at the BPT about noon.

I am :)
I hope you have a great trip, Lisa, and I hope you get another chance next year, STL!

Thank you, nan!

STLbf

« Reply #408 on: July 05, 2024, 12:09:27 PM »

Another eagle day for the North eaglets.  Haven't seen the parents as of noon.  DN18 has carried a stick to the Yonder Branch, then dropped it, but it's a skill to keep developing.  Also DN18 rummaged briefly at the old nest late this morning.  DN17 seems to be happy resting a foot while perching in the BPT.

STLbf

« Reply #409 on: July 05, 2024, 03:47:48 PM »

About noon, DN17 [pink arrow] found an old raccoon carcass - pelt near DN12's Limb,  DN18 [orange arrow] came to try to share or take it, unsuccessfully.  DN18 returned to the BPT, where MrN showed up for a short visit about 2:00, then flew away.  Around 2:45, DN18 flew to the Claw Tree, where DN17 was eating on the probably same old pelt.  Still not sharing.   At 3:30, MrN and DNF perched in the BPT for a few minutes, then one joined the eaglets in the Claw Tree. Lots of squalling but no new food yet.

STLbf

« Reply #410 on: July 06, 2024, 11:50:50 AM »

Yesterday morning, I missed the food drop by DNF near DN12's Limb.  Tulsaducati has a video posted at the chat.

The eaglets spent the night on the old nest branches.  Both flew to the BPT about 5:30AM.  See beautiful foggy flight and landing on the rewind.  DN17 seems to be on camera the most this morning -- darker of the two and tends to rest a foot when perching.  Could it be a sore foot?  Don't think so because there are closeups of each foot extended.

About 10:45, DN17 was in the Claw Tree and DNF (I think) came to the top of the BPT for a short time then flew away.

STLbf

« Reply #411 on: July 06, 2024, 04:31:00 PM »

This afternoon 2:30 or so, some soaring going on.  Then a food drop by DNF lured both eaglets to DN12's limb, where DN18 got the best of whatever it was.  Looked like cowghetti!  DNF (I think) perched in the BPT about 3:00, then flew away.  Both eaglets were in the same location about 3:45, then they played in the shallow water near the Brush Pile and did some preening.  Good closeups considering the distance, thanks cam ops!   :D

STLbf

« Reply #412 on: July 07, 2024, 11:23:13 AM »

This morning, sounds like something chewing or tearing at a microphone near the old nest.  Squirrels are immediate suspects.  Also a metallic drumming like maybe a woodpecker about 9:00.   Or people removing equipment from the nest area??

Eagles in creek trees and one eaglet (DN18) eating something on the ground and at DN12's Limb. 

nanimal

« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2024, 12:55:46 PM »

I heard it, too. Thought woodpecker, but who knows!

STLbf

« Reply #414 on: July 08, 2024, 11:22:04 AM »

The sound is working here at the North's.  Song sparrow calling early and good closeups.

Both eaglets have been perching together sometimes this morning, perhaps a visiting sub-adult might have spooked them.  See pic -- or it might be parent with dirty head feathers.  Can others confirm visitor Yes or No?

STLbf

« Reply #415 on: July 08, 2024, 03:48:25 PM »

Food drop at noon at the Brush Pile.  I think it was DNF, but no idea what the food was.  The eaglets were waiting on the Spit Tree for her to fly past and they pursued.  This time, DN17 got the meal.  About 2:00,  both eaglets were perching in the BPT, waiting for more.  At 3:45 there's a sudden rain shower, Parent and eaglet in the BPT, other eaglet in Spit Tree.

STLbf

« Reply #416 on: July 09, 2024, 02:33:55 PM »

Another day in the creek trees, mostly the BPT.  A bit of color at sunrise, and a doe crossed the creek near the Brush Pile.  No North parents, no food on view as of 2:30 PM.

STLbf

« Reply #417 on: July 10, 2024, 10:47:20 AM »

Both DNs in view at the BPT but not together this morning. Song sparrow is back on the end of its twig, singing and catching tiny insects from the air.  Thanks to the cam ops for keeping the great views coming.   ;D

STLbf

« Reply #418 on: July 10, 2024, 12:59:24 PM »

MrN and both eaglets in the BPT for a while around noon.  Maybe there will be food later on.

Thistles are in bloom now, so watch for great closeups of birds enjoying the seeds in a couple weeks.  For now, bees and butterflies.  The insect in the pic might be a yellowjacket.  In person, I try hard NOT to get very close to these because they sting, so just guessing at ID.

STLbf

« Reply #419 on: July 10, 2024, 04:20:05 PM »

One of the parent eagles was at the top of the BPT about 2:30 this afternoon.  At about the same time, DN17 was perching on the Yonder Branch, and the Kingbirds found out!  Two or three of them divebombed poor DN17 for about an hour. When the cattle arrived in the pasture, DN17 flew away.  Maybe the Kingbirds will harrass the cows.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32   Go Up