Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 499852 times)

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #8535 on: August 28, 2023, 07:05:04 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Lani, audio books are wonderful! I listen to murder mysteries when I am driving to Mom's by myself, it makes the trip go much faster! 6 more bags yesterday, you will have it done in no time, and what a good feeling! Oh that Beagle, just melting out of his bed...

E4E, hope you and Kris are having a wonderful time at Lake Tahoe! I went there in the mid 70's, I bet it has changed a lot! I just remember starting in Reno where it was 94, up and up the mountain where there were patches of snow on the ground. It was beautiful!

Lisa, your happy day is today! That little sweetie is in for some good Grandma cuddling!

tsk, it is certainly odd how covid moves. When I had it, Kelsey and Ed never got it. Bella got it from daycare, but no one in their house got it. I hope all goes well with the wedding!

baz, you will be glued to the tv watching the Tennis Open!

I grew up in Iowa! - Bill Brownfield - Cardinal "red" and Indigo Bunting "blue"       Yosemite National Park

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #8536 on: August 28, 2023, 07:28:31 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

A quick hello, before I head out this morning. 

Morning kb, tig, karen and all   :)

Lani - Snowball was delicious!  Thank you  :-*

E4E - Enjoy your get-away!

tsk - Yep, mama is very close to Fairhope.  There is some good shopping there.  Thank you  :-*

clynn - I am one happy person today.   :D

Phyl - Hope you are feeling better today.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8537 on: August 28, 2023, 07:39:55 AM »

HI EVERYONE

59 heading to 80  91% humidity  DP 58   Heading back to the 90s for the weekend

EAGLES  Have a fun getaway.  How long a ride for you?

LANI   You have a great immune system that with all that Covid around you  that you didn't get it.  Love the sleeping Bassett   ;D

CLYNN    You also had intermittent covid outbreaks as well.  Hope the same for Mike's family.   Like the birdfeeder.  Awesome view of that waterfall.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #8538 on: August 28, 2023, 07:55:43 AM »

A racehorse in flight?....LOL

Eagles4 - oh lala...how fun, be sure to take some pictures..

Knock on wood: not gloating....just feel a  bit like a virgin: no covid in our family..

Heading out to get that dastardly project of mine finished before the heat heads in our way: painting outside...probably one or two days worth...I've been procrastinating...

karengramke

« Reply #8539 on: August 28, 2023, 09:05:06 AM »

Good Morning !   Weather, same same!   Will see hat tomorrow night has in store for us!   At least we are on tne west side of the storm!
Have a fun day Lisa!   Safe travels!
E4E, hit the jackpot on your trip!
Knock on wood, no covid here as yet but it sure is increasing a lot all over!  Have noticed folks on tv who are masked!
Lani, great way to pass the time working outside!
Baz, enjoy the open and may your favorite win!
Off to place a grocery order of no cook things in case we lose power!

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #8540 on: August 28, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »

My mother’s brother used to live in Daphne, AL, in a historic home on the bay. My sisters and I traveled by train to visit at his home one summer when I was 12. His daughter, my 1st cousin, who lives in Fairhope now, was only 4 years old then, and her baby brother was not yet born, but my uncle’s wife was pregnant with him at the time, and very sick with constant nausea, so she wasn’t up to doing much while we were visiting. She was from a prominent Mobile family, and was a Mardi Gras Queen one year. I met her in my hometown home when I was very young, and my uncle and she had visited my family so we could meet her, as they were then engaged to be married. She was so very nice and sweet to us, and was knockout gorgeous. We spent a day at her mother’s home in Mobile, swimming and dinner and such. My uncle drove my sisters and me to NOLA one day, via the Tallulah Bankhead Tunnel under Mobile Bay, and over the long bridge across Lake Pontchatrain, on to the French Quarter in New Orleans, for beignets, pralines, lunch in a famous jazz restaurant, and shopping at Neiman Marcus, before the long return drive back to Daphne, by way of a meal stop at a restaurant in Biloxi, where I ordered frog legs - my 1st experience with that. It was a memorable trip and a great visit with our favorite uncle back then. My then-unborn 1st cousin, John, now lives with his wife and kids in northern AL, but have a small farm place getaway near Gulf Shores. He and his wife and 3 young children came to visit my sisters and me at my Mtn Sis’s log cabin in TN maybe 10 years ago now. It was the 1st time we ever met face to face. A wonderful visit, and we passed on to him a number of family archives and photos and the family bible from my mother’s side of the family, since he is now the only living member carrying that family name. It was a special time to share with him, as his father left their family when he was still quite young, and his mother died in her early 40s of breast cancer, and so he never had before then really known much about his father’s side of the family. We filled in a lot of gaps in that history for him! And he now has some family portraits, history, documents, personal letters written by his father, and lore of all that. I have mentioned a number of times here in the past about going through the Tallulah Bankhead Tunnel under Mobile Bay,   visiting in Daphne, and being out of sight of land while in the middle of that long bridge over Lake Pontchatrain. Memory tour! LOLOL! Hope you all just scrolled on by, LOL, as I know your eyes glazed over early in.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 10:19:15 AM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #8541 on: August 28, 2023, 10:12:07 AM »

Karen, glad you’re prepared, and hope you won’t need it!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8542 on: August 28, 2023, 10:50:22 AM »

Royal Albatross cam - 8/28
Breaking News: A chick has fledged!

The First Otago Albatross Fledgling A Record Setter
~Please click the link below to read the full press release
https://doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2023-media-releases/first-otago-albatross-fledgling-a-record-setter/
Godspeed Gunpit chick

Image credit: Hayden Parsons Gunpit chick 4 days prior to fledging. Gorgeous!

8/27
Up up and away...ok not quite.
A perfect wet and windy morning to practise flying. Manaaki,
UQ chick and NTF chick showing different stages of flight training from jumping into the air to hovering out of view.

Enjoy and thank you.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1695764441223287161

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE for Manaaki and neighbor chick!! Soon they will be gone.

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Phyl, I hope you're feeling better.

{{{Baz}}} Memory Tours are precious, I go on them everyday... Thanks for sharing your tour with us.  :-*

Karen, good idea to plan ahead. Take care  :-*

Kb, you're going to be as busy as that gorgeous Cheetah. 

Hi Tsk,  :)

Lisa, safe travels and looking forward to pics!  :-*

Clynn beautiful birds and Yosemite National Park fall. Did you see the munchkins and family yesterday? Did Miss Bella share about her first week at school?

BL  8)

I've been watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservation" on Discovery+. Another great memory tour....  8)
I'll need to go on a diet now.  ;D
I'm staying indoors today cleaning china cabinets/dusting bookcases since it will be 97 today.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8543 on: August 28, 2023, 11:11:41 AM »

We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Robin, a beloved three-fingered sloth. Robin succumbed to his condition despite our best efforts to ensure his comfort and quality of life.

Robin's malformations have had a significant impact on his heart, kidney, and liver, greatly diminishing his chances of reaching adulthood. To further comprehend Robin's condition, we are conducting an extensive biopsy report. This research aims to shed light on the prevalent malformations observed in these crucial organs. By delving into Robin's case, we aspire to acquire a comprehensive understanding of his condition and its implications. This knowledge will be invaluable in our ongoing research within the Saving Sloths Together program.

Throughout Robin's time with us, we strived to provide him with the best care possible, cherishing every moment we had with him. We are proud to have given him a fighting chance at life, whereas he would not have survived in the wild for more than a few days.

His memory will forever remain in our hearts, and we will continue our commitment to preserving and protecting these incredible creatures.

:'( :'( :'(

Reminder to all viewers:
We are a wildlife rescue center, which means ALL of the animals you enjoy on our explore.org cameras are rescued from various serious situations - whether that be electrocution, car accidents, domestic animal attacks, illegal pet trade, the loss of habitat, etc. We keep an important message at the end of all of our updates from our dedicated animal care staff to remind new and old viewers alike of the nature of our work.

We want to reiterate with the passing of Robin that we look to the explore.org community to maintain grace and compassion towards not only the animals, but our staff, who are fighting daily to keep them alive. We have been doing this for nearly two decades and know, at a very intimate level, how hard it can be to lose an animal. What you do not see is the 24/7 care we provide to give each individual a fighting chance at life.

You are all witnessing a unique, private, and behind-the-scenes look at what it takes mentally, emotionally, and physically to rescue, rehabilitate, and rewild injured wildlife. This job is not easy and is arguably some of the world's most challenging work. As we continue to show up for these animals and nature, we all cope differently with the emotional impact of this job - Please remember this when sharing and commenting within this community.

"Our human compassion binds us the one to the other - not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future." - Nelson Mandela

May we keep Robin and the many animals who have come through our care in our hearts and minds.

💗From all of us at Toucan Rescue Ranch

I'm heartbroken  :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 11:17:01 AM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8544 on: August 28, 2023, 12:35:07 PM »

So. Lake Tahoe;  67 right now at 10 a.m. - warming to 78.

Clynn - What fun Talon & Bella had going on that exciting train ride!!  Erin & Sydney do a lot of fun outings with the kids!!! Love all the pics!!

Lani - Oh my gosh, you sure are working hard out in the yard!!

Tsk - Glad that Tom is much better now!  Wow, just read about the wedding and covid situations - that will be interesting - wishing them all well. :)

Tig - Busy Sunday yesterday - you are always keeping busy out in your yard too - good idea with holding off to sow the seeds at a later date. :)

Hi Kb!

OG - Like your birthday post for Phyl yesterday.

Hi Lori!

Hi Karen!

Baz - Waving to you & Zippo  :)

I just wanted to check into the Beak real quick and say 'hi'!  We are heading out for a walk now!  It is gorgeous over here in Tahoe. 8)

Beakers have a nice day. :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #8545 on: August 28, 2023, 01:00:34 PM »

E4E - Enjoy your trip, and take pics.  From what I have seen in pics, Tahoe looks nice.

Lani - Oh no, so sad to read about Robin!   Thanks for the Royal updates. 

baz - What great memories!  I crossed Lake Pontchartrain many times from New Orleans to Bush, LA, as a kid.  My grandparents owned a camping ground there, and what fun times that was.  Do you ever remember Pontchartrain Beach, an amusement park?

karen - Glad that you are getting prepared, just in case. 

kb - Hope you got your project done.

tsk - Yikes on that humidity. 

Had a great time with Sydney, and I even got a lil smile from her.

karengramke

« Reply #8546 on: August 28, 2023, 02:42:14 PM »

Oh my, Lisa, what a pretty baby!  She looks much older!   Great picture.   
I sure do not remember the amusement park and crossed that bridge a number of times!  Not as often as you however!
Eagles, have fun in Tahoe!   I have friends who honeymooned there years ago!

Wish that hurricane would fall apart, suffer from wind shear or something!  I do not want it to move and damage someone else!  Just die out!

kbshcb

« Reply #8547 on: August 28, 2023, 02:57:09 PM »

lani - you are too funny, in a good way of course.....I finished for the day around noon....it gets too hot after that.
Only have a day of painting left to do this season and only in the front and along side the garage.

I feel good about what I accomplished and am happy to have part of it behind me..

You too take care....i am sore after what I did, and hope you aren't after what you have done. :)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #8548 on: August 28, 2023, 02:59:57 PM »

Northern Royal Albatross  New Zealand... check out Manaaki!!!💜
So proud Lani!!!💜💜💜

Royal Albatross ~ Manaaki Is Almost Ready To Fly! 💗 Beautiful Wing Exercises & Closeups! 8.28.23

https://youtu.be/GtazvBB2tYc?feature=shared

Manaaki is 220 days old and he is getting close to fledging! We are in the homestretch now with the chicks getting ready to take flight. Today, we had the first fledge of the 2023 season - Gunpit chick at 217 days old.

Manaaki has a gorgeous view of the sea from his nest and we have a gorgeous view of him!! He will also head to the grassy area close to the cam where a small prism of light like a diamond adorns him (just like Pippa, Tiaki & QT Lilibet had their diamonds) Manaaki does some gardening and then heads back and look out over the sea and perform his wing exercises! Thank you for watching!
Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Media release 28 August 2023
First Otago albatross fledgling a record setter! The first fledgling toroa/northern royal albatross to leave Pukekura/Taiaroa Head on Otago Peninsula this season set a record when he spread his wings and set off to spend years at sea. DOC Dunedin ranger Sharyn Broni says the male is the youngest on record to fledge, taking flight on Sunday —Gunpit chick at just 217 days after he hatched. He will spend the next 4-10 years at sea before returning to the colony. “The previous record for youngest fledgling was 219 days and the average is 240 days. We think he fledged so early because he had really regular feeding from his parents, meaning he was in good condition and at a good weight, and perfect fledging conditions on Sunday with strong winds blowing him straight out to the ocean. “The chick is one of 20 which has been fitted with a tracker that will record his movements for about the next three years. Previously the species has only been tracked for up to one year, so we’re excited to learn more about what these juveniles do in their first few years.”The trackers do not transmit the bird’s location but save the data on the unit, which will be retrieved when they return to the colony. He is the first fledgling of 33 toroa chicks at the colony this season. If all fledge successfully it will be the highest number on record to do so in a season. The current best is 30 chicks in 2021. That includes the Royal Cam chick, Manaaki, who has been the focus of the popular 24-hour online live stream, run in partnership with Cornell University’s Lab of Ornithology in New York. Manaaki has been stretching his wings in the breeze but is not quite ready to begin his journey.

Sharyn says it’s been a very successful breeding season at the colony so far, though it has had its eventful moments.

“One major event was a female going to the Dunedin Wildlife hospital with acute liver failure near the end of the guard stage, which is the first 30-40 days when parents stay with their chicks to protect them. “Remarkably she pulled through after a two week stay in hospital — a first for a breeding toroa — and is back successfully raising her chick.” However, one unfortunate trend that’s been observed is parents returning to feed their chicks with plastic in their stomachs, which is then regurgitated for the chick, says Sharyn Broni. “Plastic is a serious threat for albatross. It can look like food when it’s floating in the ocean so the birds often catch it, which is a choking hazard for both parents and chicks. It can also fill up their stomachs which causes the birds to effectively starve, as plastic has no nutritional value.

“Easy ways you can help albatross and other seabirds include picking up rubbish when you’re at the beach or near waterways, reducing your plastic use where possible, and carefully disposing of any plastic you do use.” Te Poari o Pukekura chair Nadia Wesley-Smith says, “It’s always pleasing to hear of a successful fledging, and this one beating the record for earliest recorded fledging shows the importance of regular feedings from parents and how that impacts the overall population of toroa at Pukekura. With the tracker attached, we’ll also look forward to gaining new insights on their activity during the years spent away from the headland”. Otago Peninsula Trust and Royal Albatross Centre Ecotourism Manager Hoani Langsbury says, “As a father myself, I always think of the first chick to fledge as heralding in the empty nest concept as the birds start their big OE. This is both a sad and exciting time for staff. We’re looking forward to the first returners for next season.”
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:03:31 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8549 on: August 28, 2023, 05:18:31 PM »

HI EVERYONE

59 heading to 80  91% humidity  DP 58   Heading back to the 90s for the weekend

EAGLES  Have a fun getaway.  How long a ride for you?

LANI   You have a great immune system that with all that Covid around you  that you didn't get it.  Love the sleeping Bassett   ;D

CLYNN    You also had intermittent covid outbreaks as well.  Hope the same for Mike's family.   Like the birdfeeder.  Awesome view of that waterfall.

Hi Tsk - forgot to reply, the ride up here took a little over 5 hrs, but we stopped to fill up with fuel & buy a snack!