Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 1010198 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #5761 on: June 07, 2023, 06:27:18 AM »

At the Mississippi River Flyway...

Jun 7, 2023 6:28 AM

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 06:31:32 AM by Phyl »

Sauces bald eagle cam

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5762 on: June 07, 2023, 06:43:02 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Looking for a high of 79 today with rain around 9:00 this morning, a nice break from the high 80's! Looks like the cooler weather might be around for a week!  I am on my laptop until Erin gets back, the strobe lights on my PC were flashing and the main fan wasn't running so I shut it down. And I bet it's something simple!

Lani, Erin and Sydney are having a wonderful time! That is where Ed and I went for our honeymoon and we went there on a cruise in 2007. There is a rum liquor there we love called Nassau Royale, Erin was going to get a bottle for us but they discontinued making it in 2019 for no apparent reason... I just checked the osprey nests in Estonia, both are empty...  The pictures of the beach at Normandy were haunting... Hard to imagine being there on that day.

Phyl, thanks for the info on D-Day. Anthony looks great in color! The Flyway looks a bit dreary this moorning.

karen, I bet there are little ones in your finch nest! Maybe you could arrange to get a cam installed so we can see them next year! LOL!

Erin and Sydney

Hellgate Osprey Cam - Good morning Visitor! ❤  He's waiting for Iris

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5763 on: June 07, 2023, 07:09:57 AM »

GOOD MORNING ALL

58  cloudy heading to 73 and sunny.  Certainly more spring like weather.

PHYL  Not BBQ.  Was catered Mexican!  It had really turned cool for eating outside so had switched to jeans a sweater and a jacket  LOL  Everyone wanted coffee - not!  About 70 brave souls showed up.  ;)    Hope you feel better today. 

LANI   Oh.   Cool named after rescuers.  Nice honor.

CLYNN  As always - wonderful cheery pics to start the day.   Didn't know ( or likely forgot  LOL) that Erin and Sidney were heading to the Bahamas, replicating your honeymoon.  Love Sidney's dress.     HUGE  ship.   We went to St Thomas and St Croix for our honeymoon.  A possible suitor for Iris?

Off to annual eye check - I know I need new lenses again.
Chicagoland

Phyl

« Reply #5764 on: June 07, 2023, 08:28:13 AM »

CLynn  Yes. I thought  'the flyaway' look  dreary too.  Nice photos from Erin/Sydney, the Munchkins are gonna be all over them when they return  :); tks for Hellgate update---is 'visitor' gonna be a 'suitor'?  Is Iris late on her return   :-\

Tsk LOL, I'm fine. I was speaking of  the electrical 'black out'.  Thanks though.   Mexican,  'South of the Border'  fare  is always tasty. Jim's been 'hinting'. Think I'll make some more salsa.
Even in The South, it's always cool-ish in the evenings up into Summertime.

Jim off at Noon today. He'll want to finish trimming 'willow park' in the back .  BBL

Sauces bald eagle cam

LisaG1967

« Reply #5765 on: June 07, 2023, 08:31:57 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

kb - The kitties will be 7 weeks old this Sunday.  Yes, time has flown, but I have a feeling they will be here past week 8.   :D

tsk - How nice the church sponsored "volunteer appreciation" dinner. Hope you enjoyed it. Good luck at eye docs. 

Phyl - Those kitties were having fun while they are young at 2am...jumping all over the bed and me!   ;D ;D Pretty Happy Wednesday pic.  Thanks for cam pic. 

Lani - Another beautiful good night pic. 

clynn - Oh, I think I would have shut the PC down too, you don't want to overheat it.  Glad to hear that Erin & Sydney are having a great time on the cruise, and great pic of them!  Oh.....someone waiting for Iris?

kbshcb

« Reply #5766 on: June 07, 2023, 08:47:25 AM »

Lisa - I suspect so too! ;)
8 weeks is such an arbitrary goal I think.

I got Ollie man at 8 weeks but his history was determinate.
They were shooting feral dogs out there at the Rez and rescue groups were frantically trying to save the puppies.

I adopted him already neutered, vaccinated etc. at a young 8 weeks old....personally I don't think that's right but his circumstances required it.

Hang in there, you two are doing yeoman's work...

kbshcb

« Reply #5767 on: June 07, 2023, 09:12:15 AM »

https://youtu.be/f75Vet_sJNo?t=1

This is so funny....involves a flying squirrel.....who stars in a Fake Crime scene....

Been a miserable 5 weeks...
May has been the driest month for us in decades...Farmers are now very concerned..After an historic snow fall winter the topsoil is now fried..even down several inches.

For me gardening is a hobby....my hobby. For some here it's fishing, playing cards, or whatever...
Many perennials have not bloomed for me this year, I assume even though I water all the time it might have something to do with our now 3 years in a row of drought conditions.
I've spent over 2 decades with this labor of love and it's expensive too.

Every morning I spend 4-5 hours watering, weeding, etc....I end up dirty, sweaty, and covered in bug spray.

Can't even sit outside and enjoy what do have by noon.

Oh, and we've had polluted smokey air on and off for 5 weeks...
I guess Canada does NOT fight their forest fires...

So surprising this spring has been and disappointing as well

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5768 on: June 07, 2023, 11:02:57 AM »

LISA   I suspect you will have those kitties as long as they need to be there  LOL

KB  That flying squirrel was one of the funniest things I've seen  ;D ;D ;D
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5769 on: June 07, 2023, 11:32:39 AM »

Seal Island Puffin Burrow Cam - Millie returns after a long sojourn away from the nest!
Just in time, as dad Willie left 7 hours ago for food, after a long time on nesting duties.  :-*

Audubon Celeste (mod) post
It has been a blustery week on Seal Island! Our puffins are handling the weirdly inclement weather by floating on the sea, or else staying in their burrows to incubate eggs. By now, many of the Seal Island puffin burrows contain in them an egg—including, of course, Willie and Millie’s burrow #59.

There was concern in the chat last week about Millie’s long absence from the burrow, and understandably so. The Seal Island team and I discussed the extended sojourn briefly before I left the island (sigh!) and we agreed it could be a harbinger for a strange and maybe tough season, forage-fish wise.
However- seabirds are remarkably adaptive animals. Their bodies are built for harsh climates, for long periods on open ocean, and for hunting far below the surface of the water. Millie’s extended absence and Willie’s unwavering time with the egg is a testament to the resilience of the puffins. These birds determinedly remain on their eggs for days, forgoing food for the sake of continuing the puffin lineage. When we start seeing pufflings hatch in the burrows, it’ll be all the more imperative for the puffins to find and bring back food for their young.
This week, let's keep our puffins in mind as they forage, dive, and search for food. It can be tough out there for a puffin, but these little birds and their colorful bills are tough as the granite rocks they loaf on!

Willie exits from the old entrance near #789.

Gone Fishing

Good morning Beakers!
Hi Blschue, Lilbro, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie and All!

We've continued to have early morning temps of mid-high 40's, it's very unusual to be this cold this time of year. High will be 78 today.
Well, at least we don't have to have the AC on.

Kb, that flying squirrel! LOL!!  ;D... {{{hugs}}}  :-*

Tsk, 70 for your appreciation dinner is a good sign that everyone was ready for a party. LOL! They just want to get out whether chilly or not...  good luck with eye appt. I need new glasses too. I missed last fall's checkup, between Mike's physical problems and Aly's graduation I just forgot.

Clynn,talons crossed with the pc...  wonderful photo of Erin and Sydney! They've gotten some sun and look very happy. Love her outfit.  ;D... lots of prayers from the Hellgate watchers for Iris to accept this new male. Everyone wishes he would just bring her a fish. She's been begging him for food as a sign of loyalty to her.

Phyl, thanks for interesting article from LiveScience... Hellgate Osprey Iris arrived in early April.... Hellgate chatters are praying she will accept a new mate this year, as her old mate Louis has another mate and nest nearby that he is loyal to. He just visits to dominate her and steal her fish....  Iris has given up three eggs (Louis) this season to the ravens. Since she cannot tend to eggs and feed herself at the same time, she is willing to sacrifice her eggs to the ravens and crows. So we pray she will accept this new male, everyone wishes he would bring her fish as a sign of hope for a mate for her.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

oldguy

« Reply #5770 on: June 07, 2023, 12:10:32 PM »

Hello Beakers

A cool off today - high of 79 with dew point down to low 40s  :o

Kilauea Volcano started active fountains this am - about a dozen of them scattered over the crater floor.  This was preceeded by about 1 week of quakes in the area.

Got my lawn mowed early this morning while it was cool - 2 weeks since last mow - the rainfall of the past week has not been enough to keep it growing.  We only got sprinkles out of yesterday's spotty rain.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 12:21:22 PM by oldguy »
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5771 on: June 07, 2023, 03:11:58 PM »

LANI  Willi and Milli are back ;D ;D

OLDGUY   We're supposed to get some rain Saturday.  We got a brief light shower yesterday afternoon.  None of these bring significant rain amts.

Off to meet the girls for early dinner  LOL
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #5772 on: June 07, 2023, 03:38:38 PM »

The Queen on Street Band has been improving a lot over the past 5 months.  Todays video is long (1:27:39), but shows how good they are.  The members were introduced - Fiat and the drummer and Bass player are 13, the keyboard player(Mefa) is 10.   Fiat just celebrated her 14th birthday over the past weekend.  I did not count the number of songs played, but if averge song was 3 minuites, it would be 30 songs.  There was few stops between songs for talking - no one had devices to refer to for music/lyrics.  I was impressed at the skill of Mefa - most noticable in the last 30 minutes of the video.  So, sit back and enjoy this concert...

AMAZING SHOW by QUEEN ON STREET BAND @ Old Phuket Town   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7aVgw6o1SA
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

LisaG1967

« Reply #5773 on: June 07, 2023, 03:45:41 PM »

tsk - Enjoy your dinner with the girls.

oldguy - Nice temps!

Lani - Thanks for the pics and post about Millie & Willie. Oh, you still have nice temps, too!

kb - Love the video of the flying squirrel.

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #5774 on: June 07, 2023, 05:23:30 PM »

Today's high for us is 67  :)

Lani -  Thank you for D-Day Then & Now pics - quite shocking. :o  Thank you for Sloth update. :)

LisaG - I always love hearing how well the kittens are progressing! ;D

Tsk - Hope you enjoyed a well-deserved dinner last night!  You are always helping others.   Early dinner out with the girls sounds like fun!!

Phyl - Thank you for posting link for D-day facts.  Nice that Jim was off work at noon!

Clynn - Hope all is going well for Erin & Sydney on the cruise!   Oh, I just read where you say that they are having a great time and I love the pics you posted to share with us! 8)   I am so happy for them to be on such a fantastic cruise!!

Kb - I didn't realize that Ollie was neutered by the time you got him at only 8 weeks of age, but glad it all worked out.
LOL!! Liked the flying squirrel vid - Cute!!

Lani - Love the puffins - thanks for the info!  Your temps sound like Oldguy's today!

OG - Good idea to have mowed early this morning - very warm in your area!