Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2023  (Read 61679 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2023
« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2023, 04:53:00 PM »

Late afternoon, and "Where's Waldo?"

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2023, 06:53:47 AM »

STL a perfect "Where's Waldo?"
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #437 on: June 02, 2023, 06:55:01 AM »

A morning view from DNN.

Jun 2, 2023 6:45 AM

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Puff

« Reply #438 on: June 02, 2023, 10:37:22 AM »

It's time to start making reservations for ATF 2023.  The reservation limit for the Marriott Fairfield accommodations is coming June 8, next Thursday. Pricing and availability after that date is not guaranteed.                                             

After The Fledge   2023

Our get-together this year will be July 20 thru July 23.  Extra days pre or post could be added as needed.  Starts on Thursday evening, departures for most would be on Sunday.
My unfortunate news for some might be that the manager will not be offering us a hold on any rooms at the Country Inn & Suites.  Anyone so inclined to stay there will have to call for your own arrangements  800-830-5222.   Maybe register a  complaint with manager Justin? 

Fairfield      Different rates for different dates for categories
         King-bed room:  $119, $154, $179  (Th, F, Sat)
         2 Queen beds:    $119, $164, $189  (Th, F, Sat)
         Reserve by June 8

Quality Inn   King-bed(s) room:      $192 nightly
         Queen bed(s) room:  $182 nightly
         Reserve by June 20

Winneshiek   Exec Room, 2 Queen:   $169 nightly
         K-bed Suite:                    $279 nightly
         K Whirlpool:                   $179 nightly
         Reserve by June 22

Super 8      DBL Queen Bed and
         SNGL Queen Bed           $139 nightly
         Reserve by July 20

Please be advised that there is a limit to each catagory.
As usual, I'll need your personal information and credit card number to hold a reservation.  Charges will not be processed until checkout.  Any further questions/isssues, contact me.

Puff/LaNora            [email protected]                 630-852-2108

STLbf

« Reply #439 on: June 03, 2023, 05:00:22 PM »

The Norths were at the Spit Tree at sunrise, then MrN flew to the Left Side Perch for a short time.

STLbf

« Reply #440 on: June 03, 2023, 05:03:43 PM »

Songbirds this afternoon, one Gray Catbird about noon, on the ground.  Then a song sparrow doing its beautiful singing in a Yonder Tree branch about 3:15 PM.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 12:12:52 AM by STLbf »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #441 on: June 03, 2023, 06:46:17 PM »

STL -- Mr. N. and DNF were on the Claw Tree at sunrise (one of them was on the Spit Tree earlier--DNF, I think).  DNF flew off first and then Mr. N. flew to the left-side perch branch.  They flew off as several people approached from the right.  You could see the people near the Spit as Mr. N. got closer to the branch.

Your mystery bird is the Gray Catbird.  Nice pics of the Song Sparrow.  I love those guys.

Today there was also a Brown-Head Cowbird.

Yesterday we saw a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak.

Also yesterday the cam op caught some interesting pics of Starlings flying to a leafy area.

And, since I'm going back in time, here's a pic from Thursday, June 1 when we got a great look at a Coyote eating breakfast in the pasture.

Coyote ate for awhile and then carried off a leg.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:15:08 PM by Ginger52 »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2023, 08:20:41 PM »

Oh, I almost forgot to post this.  I saw a bird yesterday that I couldn't identify.  Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9-EcE9IcpQ

Here's a still pic (lower left)

STLbf

« Reply #443 on: June 04, 2023, 12:06:07 AM »

Ginger, thanks for the Catbird ID on my pic.  AllAboutBirds.com says just Gray Catbird.

Could your mystery bird be a Northern Mockingbird?  They have the white tail feathers that flash as they move and fly.  Gotta be another expert out there watching!  Ah ha, I saw the people from the early morning eagles flying and cattle trotting.

Love the rose-breasted grosbeaks.  I get them in the winter at the feeder if the weather is really bad and very occasionally in spring.  Cowbirds I can do without, but they come to my yard anyway!

Do you think it's coyotes that take the fawns that sometimes eagles take a leg of to their eaglets?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 12:11:46 AM by STLbf »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #444 on: June 04, 2023, 08:58:56 AM »

Ginger, thanks for the Catbird ID on my pic.  AllAboutBirds.com says just Gray Catbird.

Could your mystery bird be a Northern Mockingbird?  They have the white tail feathers that flash as they move and fly.  Gotta be another expert out there watching!  Ah ha, I saw the people from the early morning eagles flying and cattle trotting.

Love the rose-breasted grosbeaks.  I get them in the winter at the feeder if the weather is really bad and very occasionally in spring.  Cowbirds I can do without, but they come to my yard anyway!

Do you think it's coyotes that take the fawns that sometimes eagles take a leg of to their eaglets?

You're right, STL, it is just Gray Catbird.  I don't know why I keep wanting to add "headed" to the name.  And, I think you also may be right on Northern Mockingbird for the mystery bird.  It was the only bird that seemed to fit.  I was confused because so much white was showing the entire time.  When I searched the web for pics, none of the ones that came up showed nearly that much white, but I don't know what else it could be.  I'm sure some of the fawns the eagles come up with are from coyote takes.  This morning the cam showed a group of at least 6 cowbirds. 

Puff

« Reply #445 on: June 04, 2023, 10:53:22 AM »

And. . . just in case my Darien wrens aren't in a singing mood  -  now the NN crew has started up.  All the time yesterday outside I followed 3 (?) around the yard.  They're filling up at least 3 cavities; chics have their little ones fledging.  No - I didn't  finish up yet again, stop bugging me!  LOL

Nice day here today, too.  Low  80's, sunny, windows open - and I have to get some laundry done.  UGH

P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 10:58:47 AM by Puff »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #446 on: June 05, 2023, 07:48:23 PM »

Some pics from early this morning of Northern Flickers on Yonder Branch.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #447 on: June 05, 2023, 08:43:34 PM »

Nice variety of wildlife pics here! Thanks to all who share!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #448 on: June 06, 2023, 05:09:29 PM »

Those flicker pics from yesterday are just wonderful.  Happy fledgling flickers.

Rain shower at DNN late afternoon.  The Norths were in the Scary Tree and the neighboring tree just to the left as we look on.

STLbf

« Reply #449 on: June 07, 2023, 12:08:23 PM »

Chatters at the Flyway mentioned a visitor at DNN nest this morning.  Rewind showed a couple of grackles, just picking around the patio side, and a nuthatch checking out the big nest surface and also the area of the grackle nest, see pic.

Earlier, just daylight, a sub-adult in the Brush Pile Tree, and a male red-winged blackbird harassing.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51   Go Up