Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam  (Read 107365 times)

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
Re: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam
« Reply #1680 on: July 04, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »

:(

Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

kbshcb

« Reply #1681 on: July 04, 2023, 11:30:48 AM »

MpMom
 Happy Birthday America!

Thomas Demma and Bonnie have spotted what they think to be their new nest and posted some pics on their fb page. Lori agrees.

It's not too far away....nothing said yet, but maybe they will put cams up?....the area has a pond, a train tracks and the highway visible...I need a map from overhead showing previous nest to current one to really understand...but hopes are high for next season!

MpMom

« Reply #1682 on: July 04, 2023, 09:07:16 PM »

That would be so GREAT, KB!!!!! It is so close & I know where the old one was. We need a cam on the new one!!! 8)

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Reply #1683 on: November 16, 2023, 09:15:18 AM »

minnesota department of natural

The EagleCam Returns!
The nest is gone, but the eagles and the camera remain
The webcam that brought you the popular EagleCam for ten seasons is still in place and will be broadcast again this year. Even though there is not a nest, the eagle pair still frequents the same territory. Since the nest fell, they have continued to be seen by photographers in the area as well as by DNR staff monitoring the camera. This year, we will keep the camera “touring” locations in the area where we’ve observed eagle activity or perching. We hope you will tune in to immerse yourself in eagle habitat and visit the other wildlife that utilize this natural area. 

A recap:
Last EagleCam season began as usual in November 2022. The same pair as the previous season were tending their nest. They laid two eggs in February. One of the eggs broke shortly thereafter. They continued to incubate the remaining egg through spring snowstorms and endured intense Minnesota spring weather. On April 1, 2023, almost a foot of heavy, wet snow fell. The branch that had held the nest for 20 years finally gave way and the nest fell in the morning of April 2. Staff immediately went to the site and found that the one-week-old chick did not survive the fall.

Whether live or on the YouTube recording, watching the nest fall was difficult for many. In the vicinity of our webcam’s featured nest, there were three other eagle nests that fell that day, as well as many trees. The viral image of the incubating, snow-covered female illustrates the unpredictability of Minnesota's weather, but eagles are resilient and the pair were spotted in the area many times during the subsequent months. This is normal, as eagles are very loyal to their territory.

What's next?
A new nest will be broadcast in the future. Thank you to everyone who sent in suggestions, we have two potential locations chosen. It is a challenge to install a camera at an eagle's nest but, thankfully, Minnesota has the largest population of bald eagles in the lower 48 states, so there is no shortage! We are dedicated to installing the camera at a new eagle nest by next season to share and we thank you for your patience as we work out the complexities of camera installation. Stay tuned for more information as our efforts progress!

Because we are part of a Government Agency, we are unable to participate in the Give to the Max Day official campaign. You can still help support our program and a new EagleCam location by donating on your Minnesota tax forms or on line here: Nongame Donate

Thank you for supporting your wildlife and your Nongame Wildlife Program!

From a sign in Missouri.

ssrl

« Reply #1684 on: December 29, 2023, 02:55:17 PM »

Just happened to check out the DNR cam and one of the eagles is perched in the old spot!!

MpMom

« Reply #1685 on: January 27, 2024, 08:23:05 AM »

We need a nest SS!!!!

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #1686 on: January 28, 2024, 07:59:31 AM »

;)

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #1687 on: February 18, 2024, 09:59:11 AM »

;)

From a sign in Missouri.

kbshcb

« Reply #1688 on: February 18, 2024, 01:17:54 PM »

;)

Howdy MpMom!

We need a camera in their new nest!....their fb pages have some camera folks sharing pics of the new nest...too bad they decided not to put cameras up yet.  I hear ya!

ssrl

« Reply #1689 on: April 10, 2024, 09:36:11 AM »

Checked in at the old nest site and someone was keeping watch  ;)

ssrl

« Reply #1690 on: April 13, 2024, 11:08:28 AM »

Bonnie Johnson took this picture and the new DNR nest  :)