Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2022  (Read 38814 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2022
« Reply #1710 on: August 16, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »

A few early afternoon pics from Decorah - HM on the Y, HM preening, HM's relaxed talon, and HD(front) & HM

STLbf

« Reply #1711 on: August 16, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »

Lisa, love the closeups!  The eagles will be relieved when the buggy season is over and they can get back to looking like their sleek selves.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1712 on: August 16, 2022, 05:54:12 PM »

Lisa, love the closeups!  The eagles will be relieved when the buggy season is over and they can get back to looking like their sleek selves.

Thanks, STL  :)

I know, HM's feathers on the neck are looking a lil thin from scratching.

STLbf

« Reply #1713 on: August 17, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »

Just before daylight, one of the Hatchery pair perching above N1.

STLbf

« Reply #1714 on: August 17, 2022, 06:58:10 PM »

Hatchery Mom preening on the favorite dead limb above N1 & stream

T40cfr403

« Reply #1715 on: Yesterday at 12:16:30 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Countdown to Shutdown #2: The Confusion Couch turns into a Tilt-O-Whirl!

I looked back through our notes and relived the wild cottonwood ride all over again! Mom and DM2, the appearance of two new eagles at N1, and the Canada goose takeover at N2B kept us enthralled, concerned, thrilled, and clinging to the Confusion Couch.
Back in early February of 2022, we were seeing a little bit of Mom and DM2 around our hatchery nests: enough to give us hope that they might come back to N2B or N1. We identified DM2 on February 2, Mom and DM2 on February 8, Mom and what might have been DM2 on February 14, and Mom on February 16. An eagle we thought was DM2 brought a stick into N1 on February 16, although subsequent events and a review of the footage makes us think it probably wasn’t.

Mom appeared to lay eggs at N3 in late February and early March – her standard timeline with DM2 – but she never went into full incubation. Meanwhile, we continued to see eagles around the hatchery. We bought a larger confusion couch and passed out popcorn while we waited and speculated. When would Mom lay eggs? Would she and DM2 come back to N2B? As February turned into March, it became obvious that we were seeing a new pair of eagles in and around N1. Mom and DM2 still put in occasional appearances, but didn’t appear to be running the new eagles off. The Confusion Couch began to spin!

Mom finally laid her first egg between Sunday, March 20 and Tuesday morning, March 22. Meanwhile, our camera operators, moderators, videomakers, and followers were regularly documenting adult eagles in and around N1. Between early February and late March, new adult eagle sightings increased from occasional glimpses to regular occurrences. We documented a few chases between adult eagles, a few subadults floating through, Canada geese nesting in N2B and occasionally checking out N1, and held on to the cottonwood tilt-a-whirl for dear life as the eagles worked things out. By April 4, it became clear to us that a new pair of eagles had claimed N1. At least one additional male eagle dropped by in April, but he vanished as quickly as he appeared and we didn’t see him again.

Mom and DM2 kept busy with incubation at N3 until some time between April 17 and April 19, when they stopped for unknown reasons. It wasn’t yet time for the eggs to hatch, which means they must have been destroyed or broken by something. It was the first time eagles didn’t produce young here since roughly 2003: an incredible 19 years of production for Dad, his original mate, Mom, and DM2.

N3 was destroyed by a storm on July 23. Since then, Robin Brumm has identified an eagle she thinks was DM2 and Seth Vreeman has identified an eagle that looks an awful lot like Mom. Both of them were perched in the area that once held N3. Meanwhile, new eagles HD and HM continue to hang out near N1. Their nestorations have diminished somewhat, since their hormones are at a low ebb and lumberjacking is much more difficult in hot, humid weather. But they are still very much around and we expect their nestorations to ramp up in September or October.

Thanks for sticking with us through this year's wild cottonwood ride! We'll be shutting down the Decorah and Decorah North cameras at 5pm on Saturday, August 20, at 5pm. We invite everyone to join our special chat/celebration/fundraiser from 3 to 5pm of that day. If you'd like to read more about Mom, DM2, the new eagles, or N3, follow the links below.

Links
Mom, DM2, HD, HM, the nests, and the territories: https://www.raptorresource.org/.../your-questions.../
Storm destroys N3: https://www.raptorresource.org/.../nest-n3-fell-in-the.../
Decorah eagles update at N3: https://www.raptorresource.org/.../decorah-eagles-update.../
Finally, an egg at N3! https://www.raptorresource.org/.../29/finally-an-egg-at-n3/
Day Trips to Decorah: https://www.raptorresource.org/tag/day-trip/

February 8, 2022: Mom and DM2

February 10, 2022: Who is this? Sometimes we knew we were watching Mom and DM2. But sometimes we weren’t so sure. Later events would muddy the waters even further!

February 14, 2022: Mom at N1. The camera clearly captures her unique markings.

February 14, 2022: DM2? Given Mom’s presence, I think it is. But his markings look a little different to me. Eagle ID can be challenging!

February 16, 2022: Even from a distance, this looks like Mom

February 16, 2022: DM2? He brought a stick into N1, but didn’t stay very long.

March 9, 2022: An unknown eagle at N2B. We saw a subadult female with a male eagle in N2B back on March 4.

March 10, 2022: Mom at N1

March 11, 2022: A new eagle at N1

March 24, 2022: New eagle or Mom? The markings don’t look like Mom or DM2 to me.

March 29, 2022: Is this Mom? It looks like her, but why are she and DM2 both here? One of them should be incubating their eggs.

March 29, 2022: Is this DM2? It looks like him, but why are she and DM2 both here? One of them should be incubating their eggs.

March 29, 2022: Eagle ID problems. These eagles don’t look much like Mom or DM2 to me. But the close-ups we got five minutes later sure did!

March 31, 2022: A new eagle at N1.

March 31, 2022: A nice look at the new eagle couple.

April 1, 2022: Who is this? It looks like Mom and DM2, but we shouldn’t see both of them here at once when they have eggs in N3.

April 3, 2022: HD and HM have adopted N1. Will the confusion Tilt-O-Whirl finally stop turning?

April 4, 2022: Early morning nestorations at N1.

April 15, 2022: HD, I believe. I love how quickly volunteers and followers are picking up on subtle ID cues!

April 15, 2022: Is this HM or an interloper? Turn in for ‘As The Nest Turns’!

April 16, 2022: HD and HM on the Y.

April 16, 2022: In addition to the eagles we came to call HD and HM, a few strangers stopped by. This male made a brief appearance near N1.

April 29, 2022: The new new eagles have adopted N1 and are working on the nest!
February 10, 2022: Who is this? Sometimes we knew we were watching Mom and DM2. But sometimes we weren’t so sure. Later events would muddy the waters even further!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:18:39 PM by T40cfr403 »
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

STLbf

« Reply #1716 on: Yesterday at 03:44:45 PM »

T40, thanks for posting the RRP entry and photos here!  Can't wait to see what happens this fall as we start a new season.  Dust off the Confusion Couch and pop the popcorn when the cameras come back on after the maintenance break.    ;D

Philjo56France

« Reply #1717 on: Yesterday at 11:39:50 PM »

08-19-2022
Goodnight/ morning Decorah, Bonjour everyone !

From yesterday evening
19h00 to 19h10

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1718 on: Today at 08:21:20 AM »

Before the cameras go down tomorrow, I want to thank all the operators for a great informative season. Although the results from mom and DM weren’t what we all hoped for, we got a great insight into life and competition around the nests. Things balanced out with a very successful season at the north nest. Already looking forward to the cameras going live, and the start of nestorations.

STLbf

« Reply #1719 on: Today at 09:46:44 AM »

Philjo, love the middle pic of HD looking right at us!

Jaspurr, I'm also hoping for another interesting and educational season. 

Rest up, you camera operators!   ;)

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #1720 on: Today at 11:10:03 AM »

NEW MOM n DAD 2022
I hear them even if I dont see them.
I've seen them lie down in nest.
I've heard them sing to the dawn.
They have claimed this territory.
I still suspect one is offspring of a Decorah nest.
I think both are young.

Thanks T40 for the recap and pics.
Really nice recap - good pic.
I am reposting one of yours and Lisa's

« Last Edit: Today at 11:17:29 AM by shep »
Love TRUTH even if you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ