Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2022  (Read 370796 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2022
« Reply #13050 on: September 30, 2022, 08:36:20 AM »

clynn - why is your ash dead again?...ash borer?...I can't remember.

I have been treating mine with Triage for app 10 years now..every other year my arborist comes and injects it.
So far so good.

Our city started backing off of treating our (not me) boulevard ash and it shows...they are now just cutting them down. Most here think it was a terrible decision..

The ash up here in Minnesota are always the first to turn yellow and drop their leaves...

My friend lives in Bonita Springs, but app a mile or two inland...haven't heard back yet from her or seen any posts from her on her fb page....I assume it's the grid and that she's okay but will be good to see her power back up to confirm.

jaspurr

« Reply #13051 on: September 30, 2022, 09:01:38 AM »

PUFF, I finally went back through the forum posts and found where you posted about Ashley.  I am so sorry.  I believe that you and TSK made the right decision.  I had a cat named Moostache who had invasive cancer.  I initially opted for surgery but the tumor returned after a couple months and the surgery only prolonged his suffering.   I am glad you were there when they put Ashley down.   When they gave Moostache the final shot he crawled over to me and died in my arms.  It makes me cry just remembering.  That is why I am still upset about the vet who wouldn't let me hold Jaspurr when they put him down during covid.  This has been a sad month for fur babies.  I kept some of Jaspurr's favorite toys.  HUGS

Puff

« Reply #13052 on: September 30, 2022, 09:29:41 AM »

clynn  You're right about the $$$$ of kona coffee.  It's not quite as much if you buy it while on one of the islands.  Hawaii Island (Kona) and Kauai both big on coffee now, both get good reviews.  When I send clients on trip to Hawaii I ask them to bring me back some (I repay them) just so I get fresh and save a wee bit.  But they do have periodic discounts and I am on mailing lists for notice.  Lucky me?  E4E you have to have kona available where you're at.  I don't even know if Starbucks has 100% kona.  Do they?  I know it costs $4 for a tea.

Tony's son bought home down in Naples 3 years ago.  I sent a feeler out but have nothing back yet. Most of their grids there seem to be down.  His daughter just invested in property last year that she'll be using during snow months.  She should be in IL right now.  Heard nothing from her yet either.

KB I'm an ash tree protector, too.  I did have 4, but had to take one down.  The other 3 are surviving, seem to be getting denser as a matter of fact.  I give them that treatment every other year, too.  Mine are in the back yard so their my responsibility and my property, my expense.

My ash have a weird habit re leaves.  They're not early, earliest would be my aspen.  The ash also change color, aspen turns yellow in August and crunchy.  What is strange behavior for ash? - When they decide it is time, they all fall at the same time and all shed their leaves totally in hours.  It's like "OK guys, lets go."

Good part about that is the yard only has one rake/cleanup job.  This is totally the opposite of the crimson maple.  Lots of BIG leaves take a month and several cleanups.  Good thing is the tree is in front and they usually decide to blow down the street to the neighbors.  I think that's a good thing; neighbors, not so much.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:41:28 AM by Puff »

BrokenLug

« Reply #13053 on: September 30, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »

If this current NHC forecast holds true .. Charleston, SC might catch a slight break from Ian.
The NHC track line has been trending to NE this morning ...
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Ian

Image attached Below. 8am EDT Adv.

If the eye of Ian goes East of them and hits near Bulls Bay they might get an off shore flow which will help push the water in Charleston Harbor and the storm surge at high tide out not in.
https://goo.gl/maps/p2gg8c9P1HM4kP8fA
https://www.usharbors.com/harbor/south-carolina/charleston-sc/tides/

I hope they catch the break, because Charleston floods very easily.

Current radar loop past 3 hrs:
https://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov/qvs/product_viewer/index.php?web_exec_mode=run&menu=menu_config.txt&year=2022&month=9&day=30&hour=14&minute=20&time_mode=update&zoom=9&clon=-79.73990726471&clat=32.87722529704122&base=0&overlays=5&mping_mode=0&product_type=shsrs&product=SHSR&qpe_pal_option=0&opacity=0.7&looping_active=on&num_frames=36&frame_step=200&seconds_step=120

Windy GFS model (use the time step at the bottom)
https://embed.windy.com/embed2.html?lat=32.874&lon=-79.102&detailLat=32.874&detailLon=-79.102&width=650&height=450&zoom=8&level=850h&overlay=rain&product=gfs&menu=&message=true&marker=&calendar=now&pressure=true&type=map&location=coordinates&detail=&metricWind=mph&metricTemp=default&radarRange=-1"

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 10:05:30 AM by BrokenLug »

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #13054 on: September 30, 2022, 10:10:19 AM »

Happy Friday  :)

kbshcb

« Reply #13055 on: September 30, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »

clynn  You're right about the $$$$ of kona coffee.  It's not quite as much if you buy it while on one of the islands.  Hawaii Island (Kona) and Kauai both big on coffee now, both get good reviews.  When I send clients on trip to Hawaii I ask them to bring me back some (I repay them) just so I get fresh and save a wee bit.  But they do have periodic discounts and I am on mailing lists for notice.  Lucky me?  E4E you have to have kona available where you're at.  I don't even know if Starbucks has 100% kona.  Do they?  I know it costs $4 for a tea.

Tony's son bought home down in Naples 3 years ago.  I sent a feeler out but have nothing back yet. Most of their grids there seem to be down.  His daughter just invested in property last year that she'll be using during snow months.  She should be in IL right now.  Heard nothing from her yet either.

KB I'm an ash tree protector, too.  I did have 4, but had to take one down.  The other 3 are surviving, seem to be getting denser as a matter of fact.  I give them that treatment every other year, too.  Mine are in the back yard so their my responsibility and my property, my expense.

My ash have a weird habit re leaves.  They're not early, earliest would be my aspen.  The ash also change color, aspen turns yellow in August and crunchy.  What is strange behavior for ash? - When they decide it is time, they all fall at the same time and all shed their leaves totally in hours.  It's like "OK guys, lets go."

Good part about that is the yard only has one rake/cleanup job.  This is totally the opposite of the crimson maple.  Lots of BIG leaves take a month and several cleanups.  Good thing is the tree is in front and they usually decide to blow down the street to the neighbors.  I think that's a good thing; neighbors, not so much.

P

How would you describe the taste of Kona coffee?...I read it's so expensive cause it's hand picked and that a beetle has invaded?..
I like a dark roast coffee...
One I remember liking was in NO, LA....a cajun coffee, with chickory I think..haven't had it since i was there.

Yeah, my ash is in my back yard too, so my responsibility..$250.00 every other year...but, I calculated years ago that to crane it out over my roof would cost me around 4,000...so cheaper than that.
I had one in my front yard, also my responsibility as it was closer to the house, and I lost it in a big wind storm after so much rain it saturated the roots so it just up rooted...I replaced it with my crimson king maple.

I find my leaves on my ash drop first but not all at once!...my neighbor's ash in his back yard drops later so thought it was whether they were male or female but I really don't know...just observed all of this over 23 years....
If you recall my large honey locust is my boulevard tree so city responsibility is now marked to come down.
It was damaged when they found that gas line leak and did the big dig I am sure destroying too many roots in the process...My line of 9 arbors I worry about as well....they are also out there next to the locust.
The city forester said they won't replace it though they do for everyone else. I suppose it's cause my maple is nearby and my line of arbors...if push came to shove and I lose too much shade on the house I would protest.
It's funny too he said the trees were planted back in the day too close to the curb line....well, me thinks the reality is the main gas lines used to be in the street but since they moved them to the boulevards of single family homes well that's the real reason..

PeepSpy

Advent joy! 🌲🌟🐑💖

LisaG1967

« Reply #13057 on: September 30, 2022, 10:37:54 AM »

Good Morning Beakers.....T.G.I.F.!!!!

Morning Puff, jaspurr and all   :)

tsk - I am so sorry to hear about Barb and Tom's place in Naples.  Thank heavens there were not there when this took place.

BrokenLug - Exactly true what you said last night about, relying on forecast tracks, cones and spaghetti model tracks.  I would have been "outta there"!

Lori - Thanks for the SWFL update and pics.

E4E - My arms are a bit sore this morning, and I feel like I have a stiff neck, had a lil headache, but that is gone. 

Lani - I am hoping Mike gets some answers on Monday.  Adorable good night pic. 

kb - Pretty pic this morning.

clynn - Cute pic of Talon for Son's Day.  I just logged into our BCBS accounts for the State.  I "think" the Shingles shot may be covered, as long as it was at a in-network pharmacy.  It was listed as preventive maintenance.  Umm, I would say so, the boat on the sidewalk is out of place  ;D :o 

Phyl
- My SIL has a raspy voice.  I love it. 

Puff

« Reply #13058 on: September 30, 2022, 10:43:27 AM »

Well, there's another "me too"  KB  I also have a locust.......Honey locust.  Like it because it doesn't get pods.  However, what it does have is billions of tiny gold leaves that fall off into the water features in the yard for the birds.  Especially is the fountain. . .little leaves love to plug up the pump and stop the birds' drinking and showers.

P

jaspurr

« Reply #13059 on: September 30, 2022, 10:49:43 AM »

PEEP, LOL, that adorable goat ate too many jumping beans.  :). With all the bad news coming in today, needed a laugh.

KB, pure Kona coffee like PUFF said has no bitter aftertaste.  I have on special occasions ordered it online from plantations in Hawaii.  It is expensive but worth every penny.  I wish I could afford to buy it on a regular basis.  Most of the stuff labeled Kona in the states is not pure Kona but a blend.  It does not come close to the real thing that I have only found buying directly from Hawaii. 

Don't forget about your generator.

LISA, are you ready for the rain later today?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 11:16:51 AM by jaspurr »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #13060 on: September 30, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »

TGIF Beakers!  ;D

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #13061 on: September 30, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »

PUFF  Some time this afternoon will vacuum her viewing post out the slider and her floor tent.  Hope to be able to wash the floor tent once I get most of the hair out.  Am also soaking her harness  :'(    Our first house together married we had a honey locust - boy I hated those tiny leaves  :o

CLYNN   Thanks for the reminder - I remember being aghast at the cost of the 2 Shingles shots.. :o  Cute Talon.  Blink of an eye your life changes - boy how true that is!!

Had to run out and get my 9:50 flu shot - got it at 10:27  LOLOL

PHYL  OOPS  I thought it was a squirrel - Otter makes more sense  LANI  sorry for the miss ID, ::) ::)

KB  Interestingly enough  when we were up in Door county a couple weeks ago, we noticed stands and stands of trees all dead. We inquired - they were all dead ash.  You are lucky to save yours.

JASPURR   Awww  I'm so sorry to hear that about Jaspurr not being able to hold him.  Lucy was wrapped in this big blanket and was placed between us on this sofa

PEEPS    It's Friday - LOLOL

LISA   I'll see how I fare about 6 hours or so from now.  I will be done with the day by then and left tomorrow open as I always have some kind of reaction.
Chicagoland

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #13062 on: September 30, 2022, 11:00:43 AM »

bounce

Quick hello. Painter finishes today? We are getting our boosters this afternoon after we vote early.

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Puff

oldguy

« Reply #13064 on: September 30, 2022, 11:18:26 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Ryan is on live today as Ian approaches landfall at S. Carolina - near McClellansville
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah