Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2022  (Read 283801 times)

PeepSpy

Re: Beak Room 2022
« Reply #11356 on: August 13, 2022, 03:02:09 PM »

Peep -- It was recently spotted in Iowa too.    :'(

https://www.iowapublicradio.org/agriculture/2022-07-26/an-invasive-destructive-insect-has-been-found-in-iowa

It could ruin the local wine industry as it attacks vineyards.  :(
Advent joy! 🌲🌟🐑💖

kbshcb

« Reply #11357 on: August 13, 2022, 03:04:31 PM »

KB, we have a new invasive bug in Michigan, the spotted lanternbug!  :(

https://www.wxyz.com/news/invasive-spotted-lanternfly-found-in-oakland-county-first-sighting-in-michigan

Just lovely, snarc.....hey I have an idea: stop shipping stuff in here from China?.....
When I grew up we actually had inspections of imports by vessel, air, and person....
We have jumping worms I think they are called now...destroy everything...I haven't seen one yet..

jaspurr

« Reply #11358 on: August 13, 2022, 03:11:18 PM »

SED

LisaG1967

« Reply #11359 on: August 13, 2022, 05:12:20 PM »

Good Evening Beakers

Mama and I made it to my house about an hour ago.  We had stopped at Bradley's on the way home to see him and Kelly, and then we decided to take them out to lunch, as there was a 12 mile back up at the bridge.   :o 

I am so tired, and getting ready to get in bed.

See you all tomorrow!!  Missed you all!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #11360 on: August 13, 2022, 05:14:57 PM »

Geez... Bugs.
I'm having another beer. Lol.
Listening to bag pipes in my left ear and a group called Purgatory Creek in my right.  8)

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #11361 on: August 13, 2022, 05:21:55 PM »

PEEPS   I like the name Happy  :)    I wonder where the lantern bug originated?   GINGER's article had the answer - native to China

T40   " rare"  LOL  All of those were great.  Hubby even watched and got a good laugh.  Dolphin and cat - impressive
Chicagoland

PeepSpy

« Reply #11362 on: August 13, 2022, 07:25:15 PM »

Wow!  :D

Advent joy! 🌲🌟🐑💖

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #11363 on: August 13, 2022, 10:14:58 PM »

Waving to All the Beakers!  :)

Lisa, glad you and your Mom are safe at home for the night. Sleep, sleep, sleep.  :)

The Spotted Lanternfly was confirmed in NC this past June. Agriculturally, the threat is primarily to grapevine, where "up to 90% yield reduction ... is documented." Article from the NC State University Forestry Extension about it is:
https://forestry.ces.ncsu.edu/2022/06/spotted-lanternfly-confirmed-in-north-carolina/
Check out the "You Might Also Like" list of related articles at the end of the one above, for more info.

Meanwhile, I'm taking my daily headache companion, now dubbed, HAL (HeadAcheLol), to bed soon. It's alias is, PITTS (PainInTheTuchuS).

G'night Beakers. Sleep well. SED.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:19:02 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #11364 on: August 13, 2022, 11:02:52 PM »

Yes, that's 909's yearling cub catching a salmon! Even 909 looks impressed. via twitter explore.org

Lori - I've been checking back at Brooks Falls to see if any news was posted about female 39 (?) and her coys.  Nothing being added.  Did they find anyone or anythings?
P
sorry puff i just saw this. Will keep reading for updates! ;) say hi to Ashley from Destini 💜

Brooks Falls Brown Bears Katmai National Park, Alaska

39 with her 2 spring cubs at the falls July 8, 2022

Puff and all here's all I found so far...   Prayers for 39 and her 2 cubs.  Here is her "fandom" page too, updated often https://katmai-bearcams.fandom.com/wiki/039

The July 8th "Bears seen" report indicates
 "unfortunately 39 and the cubs got separated in an altercation with 856; a report from a visitor on the platform said that both cubs were fine, but no one saw whether the family was reunited, and we are waiting on reports from rangers to verify this information"

The following info is posted on the bear cam updates page from July 20, 2022
https://katmai-bearcams.fandom.com/wiki/2022_Deceased_Spring_Cub_Discovered_July_20,_2022

Via Ranger Lian Law
"Today, we bring you news of some of the harsh realities of a bear’s life. Yesterday (07/20/2022), we received a report of a deceased spring cub. We realize that this is an emotional event for many people and want to keep you as informed as possible.
This is what we know:
• We received the report around 4pm yesterday about a dead cub at the island in the river in front of the tree stand/cut bank. This area is located about halfway between Brooks Falls and the lower Brooks River and is not visible on the cams. It is downstream of the falls cam's line of sight.
• Rangers collected the body shortly after and our intent is to send it to the state for a necropsy.
• Rangers were unable to complete a full field necropsy because of bears in the vicinity and plan to wait for more information from the full necropsy (we do not have a timeline on when we will have the results).
• No one witnessed what happened.
This is what we don’t know:
• At this time, we don’t know which mother bear the cub might belong to
• The circumstances that led to the death
Despite our large population of brown bears, it is rare for us to find the remains. Bears face all sorts of risks in life and cubs especially face numerous challenges. Cub mortality is highest of all bear classes, especially in their first year.

Part of the reason we intend to do a necropsy is because of the history of CAV-1 here. CAV-1 is a canine adenovirus, an infection also found in cats, dogs, and wolves. (Learn more about the death of a bear at Katmai in 2015 that likely resulted from infectious canine hepatitis). In addition, the results will also help us better understand the causes of death in our population. Despite how much we know about bears, there is still so much we don’t know, including about bear mortality.
Katmai National Park is a unique place where can witness bears as they live out their wild and natural lives, that includes moments of challenge, growth, competition, and some of the harsher realities like death which is often a very emotional moment.
We will do our best to keep you informed."

On July 21, 2022 Ranger Chris answered some Q's as well on the bear cam comments page:
bshortt-Virginia's question: "Could 39s cub have survived this long without milk or food. Wondering if it was hers and starved to death. How long has it been since 856 attacked?"

Mike Fitz' 12:38 reply: "The incident between 39 and 856 happened 13 days ago. Spring cubs remain highly reliant on mother's milk at this time of year but they are about at the age when they can survive without it. Importantly, we've seen several bear families with first year cubs this summer. Since the cub was found well downriver of the falls and just recently, then the cub could be from any of those families."

Ranger Chris' 07/21/22 reply to Birgitt re: which sow the cub belongs to, was 94 seen w/4 cubs
 "It is possible that the cub in the tree could belong to any number of sows. We have not had a report of any lone cubs since last week. While it is possible that the cub did belong to 39, we will never know. As of this morning, we've had a report of 94 with all four coys."

and finally...
We will probably never be able to confirm if the deceased spring cub that was discovered on July 20, 2022 was one of 39's spring cubs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:08:05 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #11365 on: August 14, 2022, 12:06:01 AM »

T40, Great vids today! The cat sees a bear for the first time! LOL!! Who disturbs a nap of a Pallas cat  ;D. Injustice! LOL! And Brown Bear Lefty  ;D

Lisa, so glad to know you and your mom made it safely home. You both must be exhausted, especially getting so close to home, only to be stopped by a 12 mile backup. Sweet Eagle dreams.  :-*

Lori, thank you for posting info from Brook Falls.

Peep, stunning photos

{{{Hugs Baz}}} sorry you have a headache. I hope you feel better in the morning.

Good night!

Good night Dear Beakers, Cheers, Jewel Family, and Friends, Peace, good health and happiness be with you and those you love  tonight and always,

Sweet Eagle Dreams, RubyRed246, Baz, Karen, Ezee, Tig, Eburg, Lindy, Jaspurr, Pink, Oldguy, Tsk, Puff, Lori, Blschue, Lilbro, Clynn, Eagles4, Lisa, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, BL and Pip, Godiva, Kb, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, Keystone, WW JW, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Indy, Nanimal, Julie, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Wilson, Tulsaducati, EagleDave, Xullah, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane, Cando.

Thinking of and missing, Jilltosa, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, EagleDave, Maryanne, TxTeacher, Smb, Alice, Chippy, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Pink's mother, Karen and TA, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Tyler and Family, Lori, Tim, Eagle's Kris and son, Peep's friend's family, Lori's grandma Helen, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Tsk's friend, Clynn's friend Kay, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed,  Lori's grandmother, Tim, Tim's son and grandson, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Karen and TA, Blschue and family, Puff, Ashley and Family, Eagle's Kris, Lori and family, Phyl and Jim, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Reggae, Frasier Eaglet Victor, #39 and coys, Taffy Apple, GSB Hawklets, Maggie, Little One and all those like her, Dunrovin Harriet, Hellgate Iris, TRR rescue babies, Eagles's Star, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  Juliet and Romeo, Lucy and Larry, Black Bear Ted, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #11366 on: August 14, 2022, 06:17:18 AM »

Good Morning!   Happy Sunday...

Currently:  60 F  clear  .   Forecast:   High  92 F  mostly sunny   and Low   63 F  and clear .

Thanks for the Caturday 'stuff' y' all.   ;D

Lisa you and your mom at yours safe and sound.   :)

Clynn luv the female  Ukraine soldiers   ;)    Very interesting story about the kitty you and Ed once had.  Sure miss Karen.

{{Tig & Bazi}}  Yea

T40 really good Caturday vids today.

Lori thanks for sharing  Trooks Falls Brown Bears Katmai National Park, Alaska

Lani
are those  Great Dane forelegs I see.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:27:10 AM by Phyl »
The English language is, weird.
It can be understood through tough,
thorough,
thought though.

Phyl

« Reply #11367 on: August 14, 2022, 06:26:13 AM »

Mississippi River Flyway Cam

Aug 14, 2022 6:23 AM
Camera Time: Aug 14, 2022 6:23 AM CDT
Birchwoman
thorough,
thought though.

Phyl

« Reply #11368 on: August 14, 2022, 06:29:09 AM »

In pictures: National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year

The moment a leopard caught a stork was captured in one shot by Paul Rifkin
PAUL RIFKIN/NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
thorough,
thought though.

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #11369 on: August 14, 2022, 07:10:07 AM »

Good Morning Beakers! Good morning Lani!

We had the Munchkins until around 11:30 last night, and do you think they even acted sleepy? Ha! They usually are in bed by 8:00 or 8:30! They brought their jammies and I am sure both were sound asleep when they got home! The kids went to the Fair and a concert.

Lani, cute goodnight picture!  Hope Mike is rested up and that your new internet company is making things better! Wow, I looked at the 15 day forecast on TWC, looks like there is a 58% chance of scattered thunderstorms everyday for Payson! Hoping you get what you need to keep those fires away...

Phyl, big crowd on the flyway this morning!  Darling picture of the little boy and his cat fishing! Today we are only getting to 81. 76 for tomorrow and a whole teo weeks of no temps over 84! It will be so nice! And possibly some rain tomorrow and Tuesday!

Lori, you love researching, I can tell!  It's always been something I love too. Thanks for the information on the bears, it's hard not knowing what happened but we should be used to that by now, we have been through plenty with all the cams...

baz, I hope you were able to get rid of HAL, who is the PITTS!

Peeps, that is the most beautiful sunset yet!

Saw this on FB and you know who I thought of!  willie! We miss you!
Wild Heart Ranch - Good Morning Everyone!!! Silas our fluffy cotton ball.
Something I did not know about black vultures. They lack a voice box so their vocal abilities are limited  to making raspy hisses and grunts.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown