Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2022  (Read 80737 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2022
« Reply #1470 on: July 20, 2022, 08:30:34 AM »

LisaG1967 - Was nice to see you again at the ATF.  Wish there had been more time for chatting.  I think you drive one of the greatest distances to attend and it's always so good to see you back in the Forum to know that you arrived safely to your destination  :-*  The Osprey was a special treat and your photos are beautiful, as always.  I look forward to seeing any of your "favorite" ATF photos you may wish to share  :)

Linda, it was good to see you, and your beautiful pup again this year.  I hope you made it back home safely, too. 

Yes, the Osprey was a special treat to see, and thanks for the kind words on my pics.  :D

monarch

« Reply #1471 on: July 20, 2022, 08:36:26 AM »

what is going on at n1 last night and this am? is there yet another eagle?

LisaG1967

« Reply #1472 on: July 20, 2022, 09:02:57 AM »

monarch - I am so glad you said that, cause that did not look like Hatchery Dad this morning!

monarch

« Reply #1473 on: July 20, 2022, 09:07:28 AM »

monarch - I am so glad you said that, cause that did not look like Hatchery Dad this morning!

no it did not! last night i first thought it could be dm2, but this am on cam close ups, there is no 4 o'clock dot on his left eye, so i ruled that out and i think hm was not having this intruder and chased him off but he came right back!

hm sounded so much like mom this am, i caught myself hoping they were back, but no  :(

Puff

« Reply #1474 on: July 20, 2022, 09:29:41 AM »

Agree with both of you - Looked a bit scruffy.  Let's see if she (?) comes back today/tonight.

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #1475 on: July 20, 2022, 10:28:09 AM »

no it did not! last night i first thought it could be dm2, but this am on cam close ups, there is no 4 o'clock dot on his left eye, so i ruled that out and i think hm was not having this intruder and chased him off but he came right back!

hm sounded so much like mom this am, i caught myself hoping they were back, but no  :(

Yes, HM seemed a lil bothered by the interloper, but tolerated it after a bit.  I wonder where HD is?!

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1476 on: July 20, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »

Fun to see your beautiful pictures, Lisa. Thanks!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #1477 on: July 20, 2022, 11:04:51 AM »

Fun to see your beautiful pictures, Lisa. Thanks!

YW, nan, and thanks for the kind words!  :)

STLbf

« Reply #1478 on: July 20, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »

Lisa, good to know you are back home safely, and posting some beautiful pics, and new views!

I'm wondering about the eagles at N1 and the Y this morning.  Could be a different male, or a different pair??!!??  I'm not at all confident about recognizing HD and HM yet.  Plus they often look scruffy this time of year because of the blackflies.  These look like they had a dust bath. 

They did multiple comings and goings, so I'll post some pics with "generic" labels until we get confirmation about who is who. Times are very approximate because I was using the rewind.

STLbf

« Reply #1479 on: July 20, 2022, 11:37:05 AM »

More pics of early morning eagles   ???

LisaG1967

« Reply #1480 on: July 20, 2022, 11:41:29 AM »

Lisa, good to know you are back home safely, and posting some beautiful pics, and new views!

I'm wondering about the eagles at N1 and the Y this morning.  Could be a different male, or a different pair??!!??  I'm not at all confident about recognizing HD and HM yet.  Plus they often look scruffy this time of year because of the blackflies.  These look like they had a dust bath. 

They did multiple comings and goings, so I'll post some pics with "generic" labels until we get confirmation about who is who. Times are very approximate because I was using the rewind.

STL
- Definitely an interloper this morning, as just about 30 minutes ago on rewind the interloper was on the Y.  You could hear HD vocals in the background, and the interloper was looking around.  Sounded like both HM & HD flew above the cams, and the interloper flew out.  That was HM with the interloper this morning on N1 and the Y.

lilbirdz

« Reply #1481 on: July 20, 2022, 11:49:12 AM »

T40, thank you so much for that link to RRP's history lesson. I have saved it in faves for November, when things traditionally start happening at nests. There will probably be updates before that, and my little brain can hold only so much.  I wonder what Mom and DM2 will do for a nest since the Walmart one (N3) is in a dying tree. With no eaglets, they might realize that it is "unlucky".
Lisa, you have a huge project ahead of you, and I thank you in advance for all your hard work.
Is there a link to any of the festivities at ATF?

LisaG1967

« Reply #1482 on: July 20, 2022, 11:55:28 AM »

A few morning pics from Decorah of the interloper

LisaG1967

« Reply #1483 on: July 20, 2022, 11:58:40 AM »

T40, thank you so much for that link to RRP's history lesson. I have saved it in faves for November, when things traditionally start happening at nests. There will probably be updates before that, and my little brain can hold only so much.  I wonder what Mom and DM2 will do for a nest since the Walmart one (N3) is in a dying tree. With no eaglets, they might realize that it is "unlucky".
Lisa, you have a huge project ahead of you, and I thank you in advance for all your hard work.
Is there a link to any of the festivities at ATF?

lil - I thought John had recorded some of the events that took place at ATF.  I know the hatchery tour was recorded, cause my hubby watched it live.  I am not sure about the others. 

T40cfr403

« Reply #1484 on: July 20, 2022, 12:44:38 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Where are eagles D27 and D36?

D27 is a five year old eagle who hatched at N2B in Decorah in 2017. She is the offspring of Mom and Dad. D36 is a two-year old eagle who hatched at N2B in Decorah in 2020. He is the offspring of Mom and DM2. Thanks so much for the airmail, eagles!
D27: Summering in Canada

Far-flung traveler D27 is beating the heat up in Canada this summer. She headed north on May 22 - a lot earlier than she left last year - and spent all of June and the first seven days of July wandering around her usual summering grounds in northwestern Ontario. She's sent 971 postcards from the region since 2018, so we were surprised when she decided to chart a new course north toward Hudson's Bay. As of July 19, she was just south of Wapusk National Park, about 873 miles northwest of her natal nest.

Until now, D27 has summered in Canada's Boreal Shield: a place of seemingly endless spruce, balsam fir, and jack pine forests, granite outcroppings, and blue northern lakes. But her latest flight has carried her over the Hudson's Bay Ecoregion - a flat, waterlogged landscape that provides an ideal summer home for millions of migratory birds, including many of the ducks, plovers, sandpipers, geese, and swans we see migrating through the Mississippi Flyway. This is the farthest north that any of our Bald Eagles have flown and we're very excited to see where she might go next!

D36: Iowa Staycation

While D27 is in Canada, D36 is taking an Iowa staycation as he drifts from Spillville to Ridgeway and back again. He's currently about 12 miles northwest of his natal nest near Cardinal Marsh State Wildlife Area, a 1200-acre eagle vacation paradise of hardwood timber, native prairie, marshes, and a winding river filled with fish. We're eagerly awaiting a report from John, who tracked him and took photos on Sunday morning. As Brett pointed out, this is the first time we've seen D36 since he left his natal area back in 2020. While we wait for John's report, here's a look at D36 on August 17, 2020 - one of the last times we saw him: https://youtu.be/YTwHVjfx6z8

As always, a thousand thousand thanks to Brett Mandernack and the staff of Eagle Valley for sharing their data, maps, and expertise with us. To explore the travels of any of the eagles we've tracked, visit our interactive maps at https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/.

Additional Links
Boreal Shield: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreal_Shield_Ecozone_(CEC)...
Hudson Plains: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Plains_Ecoregion
Canada's Ecozones: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/.../forest-classification/13179
Cardinal Marsh WMA bird sightings at eBird (Hi, Paul Skrade!): https://ebird.org/hotspot/L725514
Photo credit Garth Lenz via The Narwhal: https://thenarwhal.ca/ring-of-fire-ontario-peatlands.../

Welcome to the Hudson Plains! Earth and water melt into one another in this vast, waterlogged landscape that provides an ideal summer home for millions of migratory birds, including many of the ducks, plovers, sandpipers, geese, and swans we see migrating through the Mississippi Flyway. This is the farthest north that any of our Bald Eagles have flown and we’re very excited to see where she might go next!
Photo credit Garth Lenz via The Narwhal: https://thenarwhal.ca/ring-of-fire-ontario-peatlands.../.

August 17, 2020: D36 in the nest. This was one of the last times we saw him.

Canada's ecozones. D27 was hanging out primarily in the boreal shield (the darker green zone that is Canada's largest ecoregion). She's moved north to the Hudson plains. I'm always amazed by the different ecosystems that the birds we watch travel through. I wrote a little more about that here: https://www.raptorresource.org/.../four-migration.../.

This map shows D27's favorite summering spots. While she wanders a bit, she has definite preferences. Note D1's locations over by Hudson Bay. You can drill into this map by going to https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/ and clicking the 'Cluster Maps' link.

D27's typical summer range. She's flown to western Ontario every summer since 2018, although she left quite late last year and didn't stay very long.

July 19, 2022: D27's Map. She is currently the farthest north that any of our bald eagles has ever traveled.

(I couldn't get D36's map to show up here in the text box, so it's attached below.)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring