Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2022  (Read 80768 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2022
« Reply #1380 on: July 03, 2022, 09:09:36 AM »

Morning pics from Decorah - Male was perched upstream on the bluff side of the creek, female joined after a while then flew off.  Northern Flicker on N2B trunk on the right closest to cam

STLbf

« Reply #1381 on: July 03, 2022, 11:37:41 AM »

Lisa, great pics! I missed the two New BEs.   And the Northern flicker at N2B!  It's markings are kind of fuzzy; guessing that it is a juvenile.  We have them where I live, too.  Apparently they eat mostly ants.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1382 on: July 03, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »

Lisa, great pics! I missed the two New BEs.   And the Northern flicker at N2B!  It's markings are kind of fuzzy; guessing that it is a juvenile.  We have them where I live, too.  Apparently they eat mostly ants.

Thanks, STL

When the female BE flew in, she flew in from the left, so maybe she was down past the curve in the creek I am thinking. 

I was thinking the Northern Flicker might be a juvie too.  They sure are pretty.

IverAndBurl

« Reply #1383 on: July 04, 2022, 06:20:16 AM »

I'm even embarassed to say it  - Been going to  Decorah since 2011, never stopped at Whippy Dip, even when passing it to go to presentations at Luther.  Have been to Culvers several times.  Ton was a big fan of icecream places.  And, now something new - Leslie's Taco Truck.  Is that at the MacD on Highway 9, by the Fairfield?

Have eaten several times at Family Table.  Reasonable pricing and never disappointed, but not gourmet.  Downtown area on Mechanic Street.  Have tried Mabe's - What can I say. . .I grew up in the pizza capital of the USA.  Good food, good salad but,

P
That is our only McD. Lesly is not in the actual McDonald's lot, of course, but often in the large lot behind it that serves HyVee grocery, Goodwill, Fisk's etc. (That lot also is the shortcut to the hatchery.) And the misspelling is intentional. She likes elephants. Check her Facebook page to verify her location. A little spendy except for the tacos, but huge portions.
www.facebook.com/leslystacotrunk

Another new food truck is The Albatross. Usually at Dixie's Biergarten (formerly Toppling Goliath) near Luther. Expensive gourmet burgers and pulled pork. Skip the truffle fries,  they are not that much better.

A new drive through coffee shop is on Mill Street, slightly off Short Street, in the same neighborhood as Family Table and Culvers. Mill Street Coffee. Good sandwiches. A little hard to find because it is half a block off the traffic route. Another new coffee drve through is under construction near Culver's. I don't think it will be open. When it does, it might kill off Mill Street.

The other coffee shops (Java John's, Impact, Magpie) have increased food menus over the past few years.

Have you been to Sugar Bowl for classic ice  cream? Water Street downtown. Look for a white balcony over the sidewalk. They also serve the same fare in The Landing, next to Pulpit Rock Brewery, plus grilled cheese.

We like the new Kozi Pie Shop right downtown, approximately across from T-Bocks. Good breakfast. Stuff often sells out. www.kozipieshoppe.com

We hear you on Mabes and agree. I have learned that their style of pizza is most commonly known as bar pizza. Thin crust, quick to cook and easy to eat. And of course theirs is better than most bars.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:56:59 AM by IverAndBurl »

Puff

« Reply #1384 on: July 04, 2022, 07:50:15 AM »

Well, Iver  The descriptions and "authentic" means I'll have to stay 2-3 days longer to try all the goodies.  LOL  Can't do that - Pain-In-The-Ash would scratch me but good when I got back.  From site I get the feeling Lesly isn't always in town or in truck?  Hours?  I use the cut-through a lot to get to hatchery; know the parking lot/area. 

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #1385 on: July 04, 2022, 08:39:21 AM »

IverandBurl - Thanks for all the food suggestions. 
When I was there as a ATF first timer last year, I really didn't know where to go.  I did try Culver's and Family Table.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1386 on: July 04, 2022, 08:44:26 AM »

It's RRP official....it seems our male & female have names!!

Raptor Resource Project
15hrs

Decorah Trout Hatchery Mom looks so beautiful! Welcome, Hatchery Mom (HM) and Hatchery Dad (HD). On July 4th of 1776, the Declaration of Independence was ratified by Congress. Six years later, on June 20 1782, Congress chose the Bald Eagle as the emblem of the United States of America because of its long life, great strength, majestic appearance, and presence in Roman symbology.
We are so happy to see HM and HD, so happy to watch eagles here again, and thrilled that our 4th starter nest has been adopted by eagles! Happy Independence Day to all of our followers around the world. From every mountaintop, river bottom, prairie vista, city park, suburb, garden, balcony, from every cliff, from every phone, from every computer, from where ever you are watching, learning, caring, and sharing, let freedom ring! May you have a heavenly day, now and forever: https://youtu.be/kWzuLAHnGBQ.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1387 on: July 04, 2022, 09:41:41 AM »

Morning pics from Decorah - HD testing out the nest, HM on the Y, HD with his breakfish,

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #1388 on: July 04, 2022, 10:00:12 AM »

I saw that about the new names, Lisa.  I like them.  Interesting, though, that they've abandoned the original naming convention that they came up with in 2019.  Unfortunately, we're stuck with those at Decorah North.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1389 on: July 04, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »

I saw that about the new names, Lisa.  I like them.  Interesting, though, that they've abandoned the original naming convention that they came up with in 2019.  Unfortunately, we're stuck with those at Decorah North.

I like the new names too! 

I am guessing if there is ever another male or female that happens to step into the picture they can be HM2 & HD2? 

STLbf

« Reply #1390 on: July 04, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »

I concur on the new names, and these designations will easily adapt when a new pair comes into the area, as we know they will.  But not for several years, please!!

So for the newbies to the Forum, HD stands for Hatchery Dad, the male.  And HM stands for Hatchery Mom, the female.  Camera operators and in-person visitors and RRP staff may have seen them at the actual hatchery.  And the Dad and Mom labels are just wishes because we don't know if they have ever laid eggs and raised eaglets.  Still, good to have official names.

lilbirdz

« Reply #1391 on: July 04, 2022, 12:15:18 PM »

I am so happy that the RRP gave that nice young couple their new names. Next season we will have a family to watch. It seems they have already begun nestorations to get
things just the way they like.  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1392 on: July 04, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »

I concur on the new names, and these designations will easily adapt when a new pair comes into the area, as we know they will.  But not for several years, please!!

So for the newbies to the Forum, HD stands for Hatchery Dad, the male.  And HM stands for Hatchery Mom, the female.  Camera operators and in-person visitors and RRP staff may have seen them at the actual hatchery.  And the Dad and Mom labels are just wishes because we don't know if they have ever laid eggs and raised eaglets.  Still, good to have official names.

Great pics, STL

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1393 on: July 04, 2022, 12:44:22 PM »

Here's an official welcome to HD and HM! :D :D :D Thanks, RRP!
Lisa and STL - I always enjoy and appreciate your pics!
Still waiting for an update/sighting of Mom and DM2.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

IverAndBurl

« Reply #1394 on: July 04, 2022, 08:53:07 PM »

Well, Iver  The descriptions and "authentic" means I'll have to stay 2-3 days longer to try all the goodies.  LOL  Can't do that - Pain-In-The-Ash would scratch me but good when I got back.  From site I get the feeling Lesly isn't always in town or in truck?  Hours?  I use the cut-through a lot to get to hatchery; know the parking lot/area. 

P
Lesly's trunk (a typical food trailer) is usually in that lot Thurs-Sat, late morning until early evening. But she sometimes goes to more lu rative events elsewhere. She does well in Decorah,  though. There is a constant short line. Wait about 5-10 minutes.