Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2022  (Read 36468 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2022
« Reply #1350 on: June 28, 2022, 12:59:03 PM »

Lisa, what could be going on with the pieces of stick?  Repelling bugs?  A new game? 

One of them had a fish for breakfast on the overnight branch about 6:00. I think the male, while the female was poking around on N1.

STL - You are correct, that was the male having breakfish. 

I was just telling someone the other day, I would love to see what she eats, and from where.  I watch every morning, and practically all day, and I have never seen her eat at the nest, or near it.

Correction...the only time I have ever seen her eat at the nest was when she brought that crow!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:01:00 PM by LisaG1967 »

IverAndBurl

« Reply #1351 on: June 29, 2022, 07:12:23 AM »

I hope I get to see that when I am at ATF!
Go to Culver's, or have a great Mexican meal from Leslie's Taco Trunk in the big parking lot behind McDonald's.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1352 on: June 29, 2022, 07:22:50 AM »

Go to Culver's, or have a great Mexican meal from Leslie's Taco Trunk in the big parking lot behind McDonald's.

:D Thanks for the heads-up!

I hope I get to meet you this year.  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1353 on: June 29, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »

A foggy morning in Decorah - Female left/male right, a squirrel to the right on the branch looking at the female, and N2B

Puff

« Reply #1354 on: June 29, 2022, 08:05:18 AM »

I'm even embarassed to say it  - Been going to  Decorah since 2011, never stopped at Whippy Dip, even when passing it to go to presentations at Luther.  Have been to Culvers several times.  Ton was a big fan of icecream places.  And, now something new - Leslie's Taco Truck.  Is that at the MacD on Highway 9, by the Fairfield?

Have eaten several times at Family Table.  Reasonable pricing and never disappointed, but not gourmet.  Downtown area on Mechanic Street.  Have tried Mabe's - What can I say. . .I grew up in the pizza capital of the USA.  Good food, good salad but,

LisaG1967

« Reply #1355 on: June 29, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »

Beautiful female on the tree to the right of N1

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:23:41 PM by LisaG1967 »

monarch

« Reply #1356 on: June 29, 2022, 04:35:30 PM »

I swear this female has to be one of mom's. Some days, to me, she looks just like her, just a tad bit younger!

LisaG1967

« Reply #1357 on: June 29, 2022, 06:43:07 PM »

I swear this female has to be one of mom's. Some days, to me, she looks just like her, just a tad bit younger!

monarch - There have been many days that I have thought that same exact thing!

STLbf

« Reply #1358 on: June 29, 2022, 07:28:59 PM »

Here they are both in the pasture tree near N1, at 4:00 and still at 6:00 PM.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1359 on: June 30, 2022, 04:36:18 AM »

Yesterday evening, female in heraldic pose

T40cfr403

« Reply #1360 on: June 30, 2022, 01:15:31 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Where are Decorah Eagles D36 and D27, Golden Eagles 731 and 733, and FSV44 from Xcel Energy's Fort St. Vrain nest in Platteville, Colorado? Everyone except D36 has headed north to summer in cooler climes, and all of them sent summer vacation postcards!
D27 is currently spending time on an unnamed lake west of Magiss Lake in northwestern Ontario. Her departure was a bit of a surprise to us, since she left so late and stayed so briefly last year. This year looks more like her typical behavior: a departure in May and a summer in and around several large lakes. We have over 423 hits spanning four years in the areas on and between Sandy and Weagamow Lakes: a popular summer vacation spot for bald eagles and humans interested in finding fish!
D36 is spending late June on the Iowa-Minnesota border, flying between Lime Springs, the Niagara Cave area, and Kendallville. We've seen him as far south as Oelwein, Iowa and as far north as Utica, MN, but his range is a lot narrower than D27's. She's currently 594 miles NNW of her natal nest, while he's just 22 miles away.
FSV44 spent last fall up in Montana. This summer, she flew a little farther to Manitoba. I don't have an exact location for her, but it looks like she might be in and around the Nelson River chain of lakes - about 279 miles NNW of D27's summer range! Thanks to Colorado Parks and Wildlife for sharing their data on FSV44, and to Bill Heston for all his work on the tracking project!
GOEA 731, an adult Golden Eagle, is on Madam Daly Lake: an extremely remote region of Nunavut that isn't far from Chantrey Inlet on Tariunnuaq Bay.  I don't know how to tell you about this area: I can't find many names, pictures, cities, or roads. I can tell you that it is rugged and inaccessible except by plane and boat: a place where forest becomes rock, rock becomes water, and water becomes sky. It must be a very special place, since she traveled about 1600 miles north to reach it.
GOEA 733, a subadult Golden Eagle, is about 77 miles north of Churchill, Manitoba - an area I used to think of was remote before learning about Chantrey Inlet! According to Birds of The World, this is a common area for Golden Eagles, although I don't have any information about the breeding population versus the non-breeding population. Off their breeding territories, Golden Eagles are seen most frequently in open habitats with native vegetation. If it holds true that Golden Eagles prefer forested areas for breeding, I suspect that the population here might trend young. While she isn't summering near any of our eagles, she and FSV44 checked in at the same cell tower near Gilman, Manitoba. I have to wonder how many bald and golden eagles fly through the area!
A thousand thanks to the Brett Mandernack and the staff of Eagle Valley for sharing their maps, data, and expertise with us, and to Reesa Conrey of Colorado Parks and Wildlife and Bill Heston from Xcel Energy Fort St. Vrain for keeping us up to date on FSV44. Fly high, everyone - and don't forget to write!
To check out the travels of our bald eagles, go to https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/. To learn more about the Golden eagles, go to our Golden Eagle maps page at : https://www.raptorresource.org/.../gol.../golden-eagle-maps/.

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1361 on: June 30, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »

Monarch and Lisa, I also see Mom when I look at the female. We're very fortunate to have this pair hanging around the hatchery and showing great interest in N1. It bodes well for next season. I do miss Mom, who will forever be in my heart, as is Dad Decorah. And the handsome DM2 has been a good mate for mom. I sure do miss them and hope they're doing well. I look forward to someone posting an update soon.

Thanks, T40, for bringing over RRP's FB info. about our travelers!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

T40cfr403

« Reply #1362 on: June 30, 2022, 02:54:41 PM »

:)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #1363 on: June 30, 2022, 04:11:14 PM »

Monarch and Lisa, I also see Mom when I look at the female. We're very fortunate to have this pair hanging around the hatchery and showing great interest in N1. It bodes well for next season. I do miss Mom, who will forever be in my heart, as is Dad Decorah. And the handsome DM2 has been a good mate for mom. I sure do miss them and hope they're doing well. I look forward to someone posting an update soon.

Thanks, T40, for bringing over RRP's FB info. about our travelers!

nan - I plan on taking a ride over to N3, and seeing if I can get a peek at Mom & DM2.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1364 on: June 30, 2022, 04:55:26 PM »

A few pics from Decorah today - Beautiful morning sky, Female was doing some nestorations this morning and she flew upstream to get some sticks on top of a dead tree, Male behind a branch on N1, and Female perched in the tree to the right of N1