Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2022  (Read 26092 times)

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
Re: Decorah Eagles 2022
« Reply #1140 on: May 12, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »

I was just going to ask if this beautiful eagle (and photo, Lisa) is male or female, then you answered as I typed, Phyl! I've been posting less and less recently, but I want to extend my thanks once again to those of you who regularly (or even once and a while) post pics and information here and on the DNN thread. I do read all posts every day and appreciate all of your efforts! I really miss Mom and DM2 and was grateful to read Robin's report about them. It's been quite an unusual season!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #1141 on: May 12, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »

I was just going to ask if this beautiful eagle (and photo, Lisa) is male or female, then you answered as I typed, Phyl! I've been posting less and less recently, but I want to extend my thanks once again to those of you who regularly (or even once and a while) post pics and information here and on the DNN thread. I do read all posts every day and appreciate all of your efforts! I really miss Mom and DM2 and was grateful to read Robin's report about them. It's been quite an unusual season!

Nan - I miss Mom & DM2, but this new male and female are really growing on me.  I hope they stick around. 

STLbf

« Reply #1142 on: May 12, 2022, 11:57:34 AM »

Nan & Lisa, I'm also enjoying the New BEs at N1.  It's just great to have eagles to watch at Decorah again.  They are a really beautiful pair.

So, goose on N1 for quite a while this morning.  I wondered if the New BEs would tolerate the geese at this time of the season.  Then about 11-30, the goose flew away up the creek and BE was hollering on the Y, and the feed went to highlights.  Makes me think perhaps there was an eagle attack or chase.  Or nothing so exciting and the cap ops have just gone to lunch. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #1143 on: May 12, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »

Nan & Lisa, I'm also enjoying the New BEs at N1.  It's just great to have eagles to watch at Decorah again.  They are a really beautiful pair.

So, goose on N1 for quite a while this morning.  I wondered if the New BEs would tolerate the geese at this time of the season.  Then about 11-30, the goose flew away up the creek and BE was hollering on the Y, and the feed went to highlights.  Makes me think perhaps there was an eagle attack or chase.  Or nothing so exciting and the cap ops have just gone to lunch.

STL - I was watching this morning when the goose was on N1.  The goose flew out when the cam went to the eagle on the Y.  I don't think there was any chase or attack, cause the eagle stay on the Y for quite a bit.  There was a goose over on N2B that was shown real quick, while the eagle was still over on the Y, and then the cams went to highlights. 

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1144 on: May 12, 2022, 12:58:34 PM »

Lisa and STL, I agree that the new male and female are beautiful, and it's so nice to see them daily! If they stick around and make Decorah their home, I have no doubt I'll fall in love once again! ;)
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #1145 on: May 12, 2022, 01:06:39 PM »

Lisa and STL, I agree that the new male and female are beautiful, and it's so nice to see them daily! If they stick around and make Decorah their home, I have no doubt I'll fall in love once again! ;)

:D

LisaG1967

« Reply #1146 on: May 12, 2022, 03:54:51 PM »

Afternoon pics from Decorah - Close-up pic of the male's eyes, and looks like the goose egg is gone.  I went back to rewind from this morning before highlight.  There was a goose in N2B - egg was there - cam went to eagle on Y - back to goose who was laying in N2b - goose got up and egg was gone.  I wonder if goose pushed egg out of nest?

STLbf

« Reply #1147 on: May 12, 2022, 04:21:01 PM »

Lisa, those are such great pics of the New BEm's eyes!  Thanks to the cam ops and to you for  helping us with ID.

So do we know if the eye flecks become more abundant with age, or are they there from when the eyes turn yellow, so a genetic thing??

You are right about the egg on N2B. It disappeared within about 5 minutes, just as you described.  Mystery.  I didn't see it happen on the rewind either.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1148 on: May 12, 2022, 04:43:52 PM »

Lisa, those are such great pics of the New BEm's eyes!  Thanks to the cam ops and to you for  helping us with ID.

So do we know if the eye flecks become more abundant with age, or are they there from when the eyes turn yellow, so a genetic thing??

You are right about the egg on N2B. It disappeared within about 5 minutes, just as you described.  Mystery.  I didn't see it happen on the rewind either.

I hope you caught some pics too from rewind of the close-up on the male.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #1149 on: May 12, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the photo updates on  Decorah nests...N2B. 
And, cam Ops as well for the fantastic close-ups and all. 
Eagles are amazing birds...grew up with goldens in my backyard from time to time..not unusual to see one of two perched on the fence.

Well finally, that no good egg is g-o-n-e.
I think when the goose got up the egg went along,  too. LOL
Or a glitch in the feed   ???

Good Evening...
#IStandWithUkraine

“God just sat down and smiled after he made cats.”~Richard Dawkins

A man who never sees a bluebird only half lives.
– Lewis Gannett

PeepSpy

« Reply #1150 on: May 12, 2022, 05:55:16 PM »

Lisa, the Cam Ops really get good close-ups! The cams are super and I bet they cost a fortune!
Heat Wave! 🌞🌵😓

STLbf

« Reply #1151 on: May 12, 2022, 07:30:22 PM »

PeepSpy, cost of the cameras is a perfect lead-in to suggesting that those who can, donate to RRP.

Reminder that if you-all shop online at Amazon, you can set your account with Amazon Smile to benefit RRP, and a percentage of every purchase gets donated to the Raptor Resource Project.  Every quarter, I'm always pleasantly surprised at the $$$$ donated.

STLbf

« Reply #1152 on: May 13, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »

Geese still visiting the N2B and branches this morning.

FYI -- the Great Spirit Bluff peregrine falcons have three chicks hatched this week, and possibly one more to come. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #1153 on: May 13, 2022, 01:43:28 PM »

A few morning pics from Decorah - A pretty sunrise, one on the skywalk & one on the cam branch, female above N1, and looked like the male later on above N1

T40cfr403

« Reply #1154 on: May 13, 2022, 03:55:19 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Decorah Eagles
May 12, 2022: New male, good eye close-ups - https://youtu.be/sjqGsJ0LJUA. Knock on wood, the new eagles are here to stay! We'll settle on nomenclature, but in the meantime, we're starting to build a database of features to help us identify the new pair.

May 9, 2022: Stick work continuing, nestorations, grass delivery - https://youtu.be/62W1ArzontU. It's unlikely that the new pair will lay eggs this year, but they sure are hard at work on N1 right now! Nest building is an important part of eagle courtship: it takes teamwork, dedication, and a little sticky OCD to build a giant nest that will withstand the elements and shelter eggs and young through an Iowa winter.

All four nests that we've built or repaired - N2B in 2015, DNN in 2018, Fort St. Vrain in 2020, and N1 in 2021 - have been adopted by eagles. What started as an experiment - will Mom and Dad move to a new nest? - has proven to be a valuable management technique. As eagles lose nests or come into conflict with human beings, it's helpful to know that we can assist or shift them by creating starter nests. Their behavioral plasticity is fascinating and completely in line with Louis Lefebvre's documentation of eagle intelligence. More on that soon!

May 8, 2022: Female brought a huge stick - https://youtu.be/PmIGKXZ7DNY. That is a big stick! I couldn't build a nest like this with my mouth...but it's a lot easier for her to bring in sticks than it was for us! Here's a short video of the N1 nest rebuild: https://youtu.be/b7KGQ_cTT6U.

May 9, 2022: New male eagle near N1 in Decorah. Note the dark feathers on the back of his head and white patches interspersed with his body feathers. I'm wondering if his unusually colored feathers indicate a relatively young eagle. We'll see if they are replaced by white head feathers and brown body feathers. If not, this will make for a very easy ID!

May 9, 2022: That's a big stick! I couldn't build a nest with my mouth, but she has a much easier time getting sticks to the nest! Here's a look at our N1 rebuild: https://youtu.be/b7KGQ_cTT6U.
Eagle mouths are also eagle hands, which explains why their beaks are so sensitive. What sort of information might they gain from handling a stick and how does it compare to what we would learn from our hands?

May 12, 2022: New male, good closeups. Knock on wood, the new eagles are here to stay! We'll settle on nomenclature, but in the meantime, we're starting to build a database of features to help us identify the new pair
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 92   Go Up