Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Turkey Vultures, Marshall, Missouri  (Read 80175 times)

calihoula

Re: Turkey Vultures, Marshall, Missouri
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2024, 01:39:07 PM »

hi stlbf yes happy moms day to those turkey vultures

seagull

A new sight, is a turkey vulture landing just outside my desk window while a herring gull stood still calmly watching. Turkey vultures weigh about 4 pounds and Herring gulls about 2 ½ pounds, but it took more than a turkey vulture coming on with its wings spread to scare this gull. The turkey vulture also gave a view up on a branch near the window and a face-on picture with its dark body framing its colorful head.

dr lynn rogers took these photos

« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 03:03:29 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

STLbf

« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2024, 05:04:10 PM »

Looks like a nice food offering in your first pic.

calihoula

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2024, 03:11:44 PM »

dr rogers and his helper peggy aka eyes of the night put out tons of food feed everything mink foxes woodchuck come up steps to his window or door dr rogers throws ham and fat and the seagull catches it course food out for the bears there.  :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

STLbf

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2024, 04:41:42 PM »

Hmmm.  I must be missing some information.  Feeding wildlife, especially bears, is discouraged in Missouri according to the MO Dept of Conservation.

STLbf

« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2024, 12:08:25 PM »

There's a pip in one of the turkey vulture eggs this morning!  Both parents are tending to the eggs.  All is well here.

STLbf

« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2024, 06:02:18 PM »

Still just the one pip late this afternoon.

STLbf

« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2024, 11:02:13 AM »

One TV chick has hatched and is feeding.  Yippee    ;D

STLbf

« Reply #292 on: May 24, 2024, 11:05:01 AM »

The second turkey vulture chick hatched late yesterday.  Both are visible on the rewind 11.5 hours ago, white, fluffy, dry, moving.  The pic is from about 9:00 this morning, and both are being fed.

calihoula

« Reply #293 on: May 25, 2024, 11:27:34 AM »

hi stlbf i saw one baby under i will say mom i dont know but will say mom right up front under her saw egg shell to side other day the bear feeding and stuff not in missouri in ely mn dr rogers has permits i feed my wild birds etc

Our Mission
Conduct scientific research on bears, other wildlife, and their habitat, and provide that information to decision-makers, the scientific community, students, and the public.

Wildlife Research Institute is a privately funded 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and education organization conducting independent research under a permit from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

North American Bear Center founder and principal biologist, Dr. Lynn Rogers, PhD (born April 9, 1939), has spent 50+ years studying wildlife behavior and ecology. Specializing in bears, he has senior-authored more peer-reviewed scientific articles on black bears than anyone.

calihoula

« Reply #294 on: May 25, 2024, 11:32:25 AM »

this is north american bear center ely,mn that is lucky bear they are watching they have three bears lucky holly and tasha they teach black bears are good have feelings respect all wildlife something i have always believed in and always will

Linda M

« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2024, 06:38:17 PM »

Calihoula, nice photo of the kids at North American Bear Center.  Wildlife Research Institute has been one of my favorite websites for many years; love Dr. Roger's daily updates and photos of the birds as well as marten, foxes, and other regular visitors.

STLbf

« Reply #296 on: May 27, 2024, 11:10:53 AM »

Good to have the clarification of the bear-protection and other valuable activities at the Minnesota center.

The turkey vulture chicks appear to be doing just fine in their barn loft in mid-Missouri.  The severe weather has passed by and this week looks to be dry.

STLbf

« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2024, 03:28:30 PM »

TV chicks are growing, moving around some, flexing wings a bit, parents taking good care of them.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2024, 05:57:24 AM »

hi linda m  :) i love doc rogers and north america bear center for a long time nice to see you!

tv mom using her kids as a pillow this morning

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2024, 04:39:18 PM »

i came in my office to feed my cats in here checked tv cam look how big those babies are

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb