BirdCam Forum > Other Raptor Cams and Information

Hellgate Canyon Ospreys

(1/4) > >>

Lani:
Iris

This Osprey nest is at the mouth of the Hellgate Canyon at the edge of Missoula, Montana. It's a very busy location, right outside of Riverside Health Care Center and next to a college parking lot, busy highway, and a railroad. However, it is also an ideal location in many ways, since the Ospreys have riverfront property only 50 feet from the Clark Fork River. Being close to people does not bother them, and hundreds of people enjoy watching them every day.

The female at this nest is called Iris because she has very distinctive spots on her iris, especially her left eye. These iris patterns serve as individual barcodes and allow us to identify her. She has nested at this site for many years. Her mate of many years Stanley did not return in 2016, she has attempted to breed with new mate Louis. He has gone on to mate with another osprey near the baseball field.

Lani:
8:06:48, 4/7 The arrival of Queen Iris to the Cheers of all CHOWS (Crazy Hellgate Osprey Watchers)! 
What a gift for today!!
#HellgateOsprey

TOUCHDOWN!  :-* Now, please have a loyal and loving mate sent to her too!

Lani:

Iris is mantling and fending off Louis, who has returned and attempted to mate.
Go away Louis, back to your mate Star at the baseball stadium nest.

shep:
there is something breath takingly beautiful about wings
or maybe I"m jealous!  hahaa

LORIDAVIS:
Lani & all, so nice to see Iris!!!  Thank you for posting!  I took these screenshots & uploaded to flickr... she is so beautiful!!!  A gif also. :)  Last year she returned April 5th.  I am hoping a very nice handsome male shows up very soon! ((Iris))

Home safe & sound ((Iris))
IRIS by Lori Davis, on Flickr
Looking very beautiful and snazzy!

:Gorgeous eyes!

I'm Home!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version