Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam  (Read 104761 times)

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
Re: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam
« Reply #510 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »

I know Lisa ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:46:05 AM by MpMom »
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Reply #511 on: March 02, 2021, 06:29:47 AM »

;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:39:46 AM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

Raleigheagle

« Reply #512 on: March 02, 2021, 06:36:55 AM »

Great picture MpMom. This young guy has really caught on fast. Hopefully he is just as good at stocking the pantry when we have a hatch.

MpMom

« Reply #513 on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:51 AM »

I know Raleigh I can't wait for a hatch ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:42:50 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #514 on: March 03, 2021, 06:45:46 AM »

;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:25:30 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

Raleigheagle

« Reply #515 on: March 04, 2021, 06:37:31 AM »

Mom leaving for a break after calling for the little man.

MpMom

« Reply #516 on: March 04, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »

Love that pic Raleigh ;D

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #517 on: March 05, 2021, 07:10:30 AM »

;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:07:16 AM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #518 on: March 05, 2021, 03:23:19 PM »

From the DNR---
Waiting to see what hatches
The count-down has begun!

The first egg arrived in our eagle nest on February 15, and the second and final egg was laid on February 20 - over 90 hours between the two eggs!  The length of time between the two eggs being laid is quite long, though it's still within normal range for eagles.  Now that it has been more than a week, we know there will not be a third egg.  The average clutch size for eagles is 1-3.  It is the first time we've had only two eggs; every other successful clutch at this nest has had three eggs.  It is possible that young eagles produce fewer eggs to ensure the success of the chicks.  We are very fortunate to have eggs at all this year, as our male is young (approaching 5 years old), and  this is likely his first nesting attempt.  Many eagle pairs often don't produce eggs or young their first year as a mated pair.  Having only two mouths to feed should be easier for the new pair to manage.

During incubation, the female sits on the eggs most of the time, but the male also helps. They make sure the eggs are protected from the weather, and they roll them around to keep all parts of the egg at the same temperature and to prevent the developing embryo inside the egg from sticking to the egg shell. Both parents are vigilant in protecting the eggs from predators or intruders. Our young male is proving to be a good protector of the nest and the eggs.  He will need to learn how to bring food into the nest for the female, as well as two chicks when they come.  This will determine how successful the hatch will be.

Don't be alarmed if the eggs are left uncovered for a short while. It's normal, even in cold weather for the parents to lightly cover the eggs with grasses and leave temporarily.  Unless the egg is left for hours at this "delayed incubation" stage, the egg will not freeze and should hatch without any trouble. Get ready to see those cute bobble-heads in about 35 days, around March 23.  The first chick will be days ahead of the second one, since each egg needs at least 35 days to incubate. This will give the older one an advantage, but both chicks should be able to thrive with only two mouths to be fed.

Get outside -- it's Spring!
Watching the EagleCam is both educational and fun. But there's lots going on outdoors this time of year, too.

Listen for coyotes howling in the evening as they seek mates. Hawks also begin their mating season this time of year, complete with acrobatic flights, dives, and piercing screams. Migrating birds return to fill the air with their calls. As ice leaves the St. Croix, Mississippi and other rivers, you may see large numbers of waterfowl. Afton State Park offers some great eagle watching opportunities in the Spring, as does Frontenac State Park between Red Wing and Lake City. Some birds that stick around all winter begin to change their tune when Spring is in the air. The northern cardinal, for instance, switches to a more elongated whistling song in March to establish its territory and attract a partner.

Old-timers say that when the cardinal and the chickadee start singing their Spring songs, it’s time to tap trees for maple syrup. The same springtime freeze-thaw cycle that gives rise to potholes in Minnesota roads causes the sap to flow in the maple trees, providing the raw material that can be boiled down into tasty maple syrup. Squirrels know all about that. You can often see them on a warm March day gnawing around buds or broken branches to get at the sweet sap. In March, they need the extra calories, because they may be caring for a nest of youngsters.

Made possible by. . . YOU!
This update, the EagleCam itself, and a host of other Nongame Wildlife Program efforts to sustain Minnesota's wildlife diversity is only possible because of the donations and support of people like you. Thanks so much!

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #519 on: March 05, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »

;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:12:30 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #520 on: March 06, 2021, 06:20:14 AM »

;)

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #521 on: March 06, 2021, 06:59:47 AM »

;)

From a sign in Missouri.

ssrl

« Reply #522 on: March 06, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »

Dad is on the nest again at 2:06 today

MpMom

« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2021, 06:13:58 AM »

;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:40:30 AM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

Raleigheagle

« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2021, 06:43:19 AM »

She seems to be calling him earlier and earlier each morning. This morning it was around 6am. Maybe that's a pattern that happens as the days lengthen toward spring. He is always good about appearing without delay.