Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam  (Read 98715 times)

kbshcb

Re: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam
« Reply #1230 on: April 30, 2022, 02:25:28 PM »

KB, the older one was biting the other so hard. He had him backed to the back of the nest & it was over. No where for the other to go. I don't think any one will do anything. I would be good for them to collect our baby to see how beaten up he was. But who am I.

I hear ya...glad to know it wasn't killed on the nest, but I gathered from yours and other's post it was sure possible, esp. lately....I hear Lori is on the way to see if it survived the fall...I doubt it, but at least they say they will check...if I hear anything about Lori finding it I'll let you know.

kbshcb

« Reply #1231 on: April 30, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »

Tears flowing!

Lori has him and he's on the way to the raptor center..and alive.

so much better than in that nest MpMom...

Linda M

« Reply #1232 on: April 30, 2022, 03:13:03 PM »

Thank you KB; I so hope this one will survive.  This nest has been difficult to watch; I was wondering if the food shortage contributed to the behavior.

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #1233 on: April 30, 2022, 04:07:56 PM »

KB, I am so happy our baby was saved! He would have surely died on the nest. It was BRUTAL.
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

kbshcb

« Reply #1234 on: April 30, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »

First pic when recovered...another pic coming....for those who can't open their fb page.

kbshcb

« Reply #1235 on: April 30, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »

Second pic on the way to Raptor Center.

He's there now....I will update when I hear them.

MpMom

« Reply #1236 on: April 30, 2022, 04:28:13 PM »

It is so good to see our baby alive. I watched this baby being tortured for over a week.
Thank you KB :-*

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

kbshcb

« Reply #1237 on: April 30, 2022, 04:39:00 PM »

Sorry MpMom and all...this was just posted:
This afternoon at about 1:00, at the EagleCam nest, the younger chick was pushed out of the nest by its sibling.  Nongame staff were contacted and retrieved the chick from the ground as soon as we were made aware of the incident. The nest is roughly 75 feet high.
The young eagle was able to be quickly brought to the veterinarians at The Raptor Center for care. On arrival, the young bird was quiet and got increasing lethargic throughout the exam. A wound was found on it’s head and it had increased effort to breathe. Throughout the exam, it’s breathing got more labored, most likely a result from internal trauma. Blood was noted coming from the nares (nostrils) of the bird.
It had a fracture of the humerus very close to the joint in it’s left wing that impacted the growth plate area. With this kind of fracture, there is not an option to repair it surgically and it cannot be left alone to heal as the bone would heal in a way that would cause chronic problems and pain for the bird.
Because of the very poor prognosis due to the complex fracture and severely progressing signs of internal trauma, the young bird was humanely euthanized to alleviate suffering.
Nongame would like to thank Thomas Demma, The Raptor Center staff, USFWS, and to Conservation Officer Tetrault for their lightening fast assistance.  It is at least comforting to know the chick didn't have to suffer with it's injuries for a long time.  Please be kind in your comments, we are all very sad about this outcome.

I was so hopeful....but, a 75 foot shove was apparently too much...I'm very sad.

MpMom

« Reply #1238 on: April 30, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »

Oh my gosh, this hurts!!! I knew he had to have injuries. I watched the other one do it to him for a long time & posted pics.
What a sad day :'( :'( :'(

From a sign in Missouri.

kbshcb

« Reply #1239 on: April 30, 2022, 04:59:26 PM »

Oh my gosh, this hurts!!! I knew he had to have injuries. I watched the other one do it to him for a long time & posted pics.
What a sad day :'( :'( :'(

Indeed!..was a roller coaster ride today, but also before.

Linda M

« Reply #1240 on: April 30, 2022, 06:46:53 PM »

I'm so very sorry to lose him.  Thankful to all who helped him get assistance quickly.

PeepSpy

« Reply #1241 on: May 01, 2022, 01:27:57 PM »

This is so sad! To me it seems like there are more tragedies on the eagle nests or maybe they are more publicized.  :'(

kbshcb

« Reply #1242 on: May 01, 2022, 01:52:48 PM »

Peep - I think competition has definitely created the increase in tragedies....not just out of view. We've been watching multiple nests for 15 years so have a track record of watching the increase in competition imho.

BTW, I did read the remaining chick was finally fed today...a large fish was caught by mom and it has a large crop....sure wish she'd gotten down to business last week but who knows why today she went for it?

The weather will also improve as the week goes on....Definitely a terrible situation with Dad gone, the weather, a very young mom, and intruders in the area....why my comment above of competition..they spend so much time at some nests defending the nests it seems for some to interfere with their abilities especially if not mature Moms or Dads. :( :(..still so sad for the little one.

MpMom

« Reply #1243 on: May 02, 2022, 05:15:49 AM »

From the DNR...
May 1, 2022  - RIP, E2
We had a much happier post prepared for today.  Things have changed over the last few days and the bad news to report is that the second chick (referred to as E2) was pushed from the nest yesterday by its older sibling. Nongame staff were contacted and retrieved the chick from the ground as soon as we were made aware of the incident. The nest is roughly 75 feet high. The chick was found alive on the ground below the nest.

The young eagle was able to be quickly brought to the veterinarians at The Raptor Center for care. Upon arrival, the young bird was quiet and got increasing lethargic throughout the exam. A wound was found on its head and it had increased effort to breathe. Throughout the exam, its breathing got more labored, most likely a result from internal trauma. Blood was noted coming from the nares (nostrils) of the bird.

It had a fracture of the humerus very close to the joint in its left wing that impacted the growth plate area. With this kind of fracture, there is not an option to repair it surgically and it cannot be left alone to heal as the bone would heal in a way that would cause chronic problems and pain for the bird.

Because of the very poor prognosis due to the complex fracture and severely progressing signs of internal trauma, the young bird was humanely euthanized to alleviate suffering.

Siblicide in the wild is the killing of a nestling by its sibling and generally only occurs when food sources are scarce. Siblicide is advantageous for the surviving offspring because they have now eliminated most or all of their competition.

The older of the two chicks had been attacking the younger for a few days and got increasingly aggressive when the male parent went missing. The last time he was seen at the nest was on Tuesday, April 24. We don't know what happened to him. Staff and volunteers spent several hours last week surveying the area for sick or dead birds due to the current H5N1 Avian Influenza outbreak in Minnesota. None were found, nor was the male bird. He has not appeared at The Raptor Center as a patient, nor has he been found dead. Their staff has been alerted and will inform us if he turns up at their clinic. It is unlikely he will return to the nest after this long of an absence.

The female is now on her own to hunt, protect and care for her remaining chick.  With only one to care for now, we are optimistic that she will be able to continue to raise E1 to fledging. 

Nongame would like to thank The Raptor Center, Thomas Demma, the USFWS and Conservation Officer Chris Tetrault for their lightening fast assistance yesterday. It is at least reassuring that the chick didn't suffer with it's injuries for a long time. It has been a sad week on the nest, but the weather looks better in the coming days. Let's hope the warm weather brings health to all of Minnesota!

We want to sincerely thank you for your continued support of the Nongame Wildlife Program. We rely on your contributions and we just couldn't do our important work without your support. To make a donation, visit: RIP E2. YOU make our program successful and we appreciate each and every one of you!

NOTE TO CAM WATCHERS - A necessary software license update will temporarily eliminate the minimal sound from the nest. The image may also be freezing occasionally.  The sound will return soon, but because the microphone won't be replaced until after fledging, the clicking noise will again be audible until next season. We suggest muting your sound until next season if it is bothersome.

Rest in peace my baby :'( :'(

From a sign in Missouri.

ssrl

« Reply #1244 on: May 02, 2022, 07:26:12 AM »

Thanks for posting the update MpMom.  Very sad but I'm hopeful Mom will be able to feed E1 and it will fledge.