Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam  (Read 108867 times)

ssrl

Re: MN Nongame Wildlife Eagle Cam
« Reply #1125 on: March 15, 2022, 01:00:57 PM »

Looks like a coyote walking through the woods MpMom.  Warmer temps ahead!! 8)

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #1126 on: March 16, 2022, 06:09:38 PM »

Thanks SSRL! Yes, my kind of weather coming!

From the DNR...
March 16, 2022
Zoom zoom, peep peep
You'll see lots of close-in zooming on the two eggs in our nest this week. Friday, March 18 marks 35 days from the first egg laying. Average incubation is 34-36 days, but it could take as long as 40 days for the first chick to appear. Thanks to microphones in nest cams, we now know that the adults can hear the chicks peeping inside of the egg during these last few days. A day or so before the egg hatches we will see what is called a pip, a hole in the egg the chick makes by rubbing the inside of the shell with a notch on the top of its beak, called the egg tooth. The egg shell is much thinner now closer to hatch, than when the egg was laid because the chick has absorbed much of the shell’s calcium into its developing bones. So watch closely when we are able to zoom the camera to look for the first signs of a pip this week!

What you may have missed
The young male continues to regularly bring various prey items.  While bald eagles are classified as fish eagles because their feet are specially adapted to grasp slippery prey, they are also considered carnivores because they only eat meat.  Prey items vary quite a bit and just this morning the male brought a muskrat to the female for lunch.

The raccoons continue to visit the nest, though not as frequently.  As the ground thaws, they will find easier prey to find on the ground such as frogs, fish and small mammals.  A coyote was observed on the ground below the nest this week. The presence of this predator is not a direct threat to the eagles but more of a threat to the raccoons. Hopefully the presence of predators under the nest will encourage the raccoons to move on and stop pestering the eagle parents at night!

NOTE TO CAM WATCHERS - clicking noise:  The microphone at the nest is faulty. A replacement arrived too late to install this season. The eagles cannot hear the clicking noise, but it can be bothersome to hear when watching the EagleCam. We suggest muting your sound until next season.

It is an exciting time at the nest, so stay tuned to watch nature up-close and learn all about eagles.

Hey, you! Yes, you, reading this email! We want to sincerely thank you for your continued support of the Nongame Wildlife Program. We rely on your contributions and we just couldn't do our important work without your support. Don't forget to make your donation on your Minnesota tax forms this year. YOU make our program and we appreciate each and every one of you!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:00:31 PM by MpMom »
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Reply #1127 on: March 17, 2022, 06:26:58 PM »

;)

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1128 on: March 24, 2022, 07:54:48 AM »

I see we lost any posts after March 20 with the change over to the 2022 threads. Anyone caught a glimpse of our bobble head at this nest yet?

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1129 on: March 24, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »

Answered my own question :)

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1130 on: March 25, 2022, 07:51:30 AM »

We have a second bobblehead this morning :) :) :)

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1131 on: March 25, 2022, 07:55:16 AM »

;)

ssrl

« Reply #1132 on: March 25, 2022, 01:31:40 PM »

Thanks Raleigh, I've been checking occasionally today but couldn't see any action.  Windy day and snowing here too.  Shouldn't be a big event but the wind will continue through the night.  These guys are tough!!

MpMom

« Reply #1133 on: March 25, 2022, 05:14:35 PM »

Raleigh & SSRL, I am so happy we have 2 kids!!! Thanks for the pics! I just walked in the door & had to turn my computer on. We were in Missouri so I missed the hatches.

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #1134 on: March 25, 2022, 05:17:45 PM »

From the DNR...
March 25, 2022
And just like that there were two chicks Have you tuned in?
Right on time, the two chicks have hatched on our EagleCam! The first chick hatched on Tuesday, March 22. Tuesday was one of the wettest days we've had at the cam site, but that didn't stop the chick from emerging from the egg. Because of the cold, windy and wet weather, the parents have been sitting very tight and keeping the nest aerated in order to keep their young warm and dry. They wiggle their bodies to get the chicks close to the brood patch - the exposed skin on their bellies. The second egg hatched on March 24 at about midnight and has already had its first feeding.

There is now a cache of food at the nest for feeding the two hungry mouths. The male has delivered a muskrat, a pigeon, several fish and a large portion of a deer carcass. Earlier this week, Thomas Demma, a fabulous photographer who monitors the nest site and raises money for our program, reported a deer had been hit by a vehicle and was dead on the road near the nest. He contacted us and our local DNR staff moved the carcass off of the road and closer to the nest. Leaving the deer on the side of the road could have been deadly for the eagles, as they often feed on road-killed animals and get injured or killed by passing vehicles. Thank you, Thomas! Today, the male delivered part of the carcass to the nest. This select cut of venison will provide long-term sustenance for the adults and the chicks as they raise their majestic offspring.

You will now see lots of "bonking" on the head of the new chick from the older chick. This behavior is nest competition and is completely normal. It is a survival instinct and once the younger one gets a little stronger, it will learn to fight back. This strengthens each of the chick's survival instincts to compete for food as they grow up to become fierce hunters and fight rivals in the future. Their neck muscles are not fully developed yet, so they look like little bobble heads trying to get food and push each other around. we've posted some video of the antics on our site, so be sure to tune in to all the fun!  mndnr.gov/eaglecam.

NOTE TO CAM WATCHERS - clicking noise:  The microphone at the nest is faulty. A replacement arrived too late to install this season. The eagles cannot hear the clicking noise, but it can be bothersome to hear when watching the EagleCam. We suggest muting your sound until next season if it is bothersome.

It is an exciting time at the nest, so stay tuned to watch nature up-close and learn all about eagles.

Hey, you! Yes, you, reading this email! We want to sincerely thank you for your continued support of the Nongame Wildlife Program. We rely on your contributions and we just couldn't do our important work without your support. Don't forget to make your donation on your Minnesota tax forms this year. YOU make our program and we appreciate each and every one of you!

From a sign in Missouri.

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1135 on: March 25, 2022, 05:37:21 PM »

My pleasure Ssrl and MpMom. I do a daily check every morning. Just lucked out catching the arrival of these two chicks. Looking forward to see how our new male handles his family this year. He went through a learning experience last year, and passed with flying colors. Should be a great year.
 :)

MpMom

« Reply #1136 on: March 25, 2022, 07:25:27 PM »

Fun season Raleigh ;D

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

« Reply #1137 on: March 26, 2022, 07:02:02 AM »

;)

From a sign in Missouri.

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1138 on: March 26, 2022, 07:22:57 AM »

Great pictures MpMom. I was missing your updates. You’re not allowed to go to Missouri anymore😀

ssrl

« Reply #1139 on: March 26, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »

Thanks for the update MpMom and welcome back  :)