Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California  (Read 231733 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California
« Reply #795 on: March 14, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »

MpMom, OEW and All, hugs to all here. I'm very sad and sorry for the loss of the eggs. Prayers for this beautiful couple. Thank you all for your posts, photos and knowledge of this nest.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #796 on: March 14, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »

MpMom, thank you for posting that clarification, though it isn't what I was hoping to hear.  I'm so sad, too.   :( :'( :'(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #797 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:24 PM »

Sad Lani & Baz. Now they just mated AGAIN :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Reply #798 on: March 14, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

Thank you Pera :-\

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

Lani

« Reply #799 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

Love will go on, and so will this beautiful couple.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #800 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »

Oh no! I'm crushed... :'( :'( :'(
However, the species endevors to survive at this nest.  I wonder if relocating this pair further away would help. Or are the contaminates in their bodies as well as the enviorment.
There is always hope and prayer.

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

MpMom

« Reply #801 on: March 14, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »

Hi Phylliz!
I don't know why or what is in them. I am pretty sure Dr Sharpe is watching. I feel for them :'(

From a sign in Missouri.

WWJW

« Reply #802 on: March 14, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about this.   :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  Eight eggs. 

*sigh*

Lani

« Reply #803 on: March 14, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »

Hugs MpMom and All here, sorry  :'(

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #804 on: March 15, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »

I had read this report from Dr. Sharpe before the season started but somehow neglected to bookmark it. I've been trying to find it again since the first egg failures and finally managed to do so. No solace in the report, but Dr. Sharpe had DDE concerns for the 2015 season.

I've not been able to find a similar report for the 2016 season. I hope Dr. Sharpe managed to get the permit needed to collect the failed eggs.

Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands January ? December 2015
14th Annual Report
Prepared by:
Peter B. Sharpe Institute for Wildlife Studies Post Office Box 1104 Arcata, California 95518
Prepared for:
National Park Service
And
Montrose Settlements Restoration Program
February 2016
http://www.montroserestoration.noaa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Montrose-bald-eagle-report-2015-Final-031816.pdf
...there were 6 nests that failed during incubation, which is concerning because of the history of DDE-induced eggshell thinning. We have evidence that the DDE load of bald eagles increases as they age and it is possible that birds on the Channel Islands may be reaching a threshold of DDE contamination that is reducing hatching success. We were unable to collect eggshells from failed nests this year because we have yet to receive a Migratory Bird Treaty Act permit allowing for the collection of eggshells (on-going application since 2012) and were not added to the Region 8 permit until 14 April, after the majority of failures. For the 2016 season, we will attempt to get permission to collect failed eggs for analyses earlier in the season.

pera, thank you for posting this.  It contains info that puts additional emphasis on the report I posted the link on twice in this thread recently about this issue in this region.  The report I referenced in my posts was from 3 years ago, from a different author/group, but I have been hoping to see some follow-on info, and your post has some of that, even though it is from 2015.  I wonder if they issued another report on the topic for 2016.

pera, have you sent this to Amy/mrsfalcon?  If not, I hope you will since she was wanting to get more info about reports of egg failures in other nests or species in this area, other than the pair of BEs in the Sauces nest on this thread.  I think she is very interested in collecting more info on this topic, as per post about it a few days in this thread.  Thanks again for posting it.  It isn't good news, but it's important to learn about this.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:54:18 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

MpMom

« Reply #805 on: March 15, 2017, 06:21:22 PM »

Thank you Pera & Baz. Sad!!!

Hi Lani! I know, it is so sad :'(

From a sign in Missouri.

Lani

« Reply #806 on: March 16, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »

Thank you Pera, I wonder if the Sauces eagles will leave the area next year. I'm not saying they will think like a human on this. Just saying, Decorah mom and dad started a new nest. Could this pair possibly do that too? Just my own thoughts on this. I pray Dr Sharpe is allowed to do studies on the egg shells.

Hugs MpMom  :-*

Emyrauld

« Reply #807 on: March 18, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »

A couple of updates:

Posted by Dr Sharpe Mar 15 2017, 08:20 PM.

As have many of you, we have been intently watching the Bald Eagle pair at Sauces Canyon on Santa Cruz Island. We are disheartened to see that the most recent eggs broke yesterday. We do not know why the eggs keep breaking, but will continue to monitor the nest and further investigate the cause. We will attempt to collect prey samples and eggshell fragments and analyze them for contaminant levels and eggshell thinning. Although this is an unfortunate situation for this pair, we are encouraged by their successful nesting in 2016 and the continued recovery of the Bald Eagle population across the Channel Islands. Thank you to all the dedicated web cam viewers for your observations and concern for the pair.

~Institute for Wildlife Studies, Montrose Settlements Restoration Program, National Park Service, and The Nature Conservancy

--------------------
Peter Sharpe
Institute for Wildlife Studies
Bald Eagle Restoration Program

Posted 3/17/17 on the IWS Facebook page:

"We have our first confirmed bald eagle chick of the year. It is on Santa Cruz Island and just 5 kilometers down the coast from the Sauces nest. The crew will provide more information in their weekly update, but I think you'll be excited by who the parents are."
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Emyrauld

« Reply #808 on: March 18, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »

I have pulled some background information on the Sauces nest from the annual reports.  More information can be found at the links below.  There is so much information being produced it is a credit to the small band of volunteers that collect,  collate, report and post so much of it.  The two links cited below are just a small sampling of the information available.  Page 3 of the second link shows where you can find all the annual reports.  The 2016 report has not been filed yet.

http://eagleduo.com/2016Table.pdf
http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/index.php?showtopic=1990

Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands January ? December 2015
14th Annual Report

Page 10
Santa Cruz Island
We surveyed the 7 known breeding territories on Santa Cruz and located active nests in 5 territories (Sauces Canyon, Fraser Point, Cueva Valdez, Fry?s Harbor, Malva Real; Fig. 9). We surveyed much of the island for new territories in conjunction with peregrine falcon surveys and located 2 new breeding territories: Baby?s Harbor and Smuggler?s (Fig. 9).

Sauces Canyon Territory. The Sauces Canyon pair (Fig. 9) used the same nest as in 2014. Male A-40, a bird from the ACC, was hacked on Santa Cruz in 2005. The female, A-48, an ACC-produced bird, was hacked on Santa Cruz in 2006. An egg was laid on 7 February and we were not able to confirm whether more eggs were laid. The nest failed during incubation on 15 March and there were no further nesting attempts.
We replaced the camera with a different camera in November 2015 and raised it about 1.5m higher so that we should have a better view into the nest, as well as night vision, in 2016.

From 2014 report page 10

Sauces Canyon Territory. The Sauces Canyon pair (Fig. 7) used the same nest as in 2013. Male A-40, a bird from the ACC, was hacked on Santa Cruz in 2005. The female, A-48, an ACC-produced bird, was hacked on Santa Cruz in 2006. The first egg was laid on 15 February, but broke on 22 February. The first egg of a second clutch was laid on 16 March, but soon after the egg was laid A-40 returned with a large, forked stick that got caught around A-48?s neck, causing her to step on and break the egg. There were no further nesting attempts.

From 2013 report page 10

Sauces Canyon Territory. The Sauces Canyon pair (Fig. 9) used the same nest as in 2012. Male A-40, a bird from the ACC, was hacked on Santa Cruz in 2005. The female, A-27, was collected from Alaska and hacked on Santa Cruz in 2004. The first egg was laid on 24 February and a second was laid on 27 February. Normal incubation continued until 4 March, at which time A-27 stopped returning to the nest. A-40 incubated alone until he left the nest on 7 March, at which time ravens flew away with the two eggs (Fig. 10). On 12 March, the Fraser Point female, A-49, was seen visiting the nest, although she had eggs at her own nest by this date (see below). A-49 showed up on the nest until 15 March, at which time A-48, an ACC-produced bird released in 2006, was seen at the nest. A-48 was seen in the territory through the end of the year.

From the 2012 report, page 9

Sauces Territory. The Sauces pair used the same Sauces Canyon nest as in 2011 (Fig. 7). Male A-40, a bird from the ACC, was hacked on Santa Cruz in 2005. The female, A-27, was collected from Alaska and hacked on Santa Cruz in 2004. The first egg was laid on 2 March and a second was laid on 6 March. Chicks hatched on 8 and 10 April
We entered the nest on 8 June to install leg bands, VHF transmitters, and wing markers on the eaglets, and to obtain blood samples (Fig. 8, Table 2). Eagle A-81 fledged on 21 June and A-82 fledged on 2 July. A-81 was seen on Santa Rosa on 30 August, but he returned to Santa Cruz within about a week. On 12 September, we found him in a narrow erosion gully from which he could not escape on the west end of the island. We accessed the gully with a ladder, captured the bird, and placed him in a dog crate. Once the bird was out of the gully we provided him with fish (it is believed to have been trapped for a couple of days) and released him near Christy Ranch. He was seen flying and feeding several times after his release and was last seen on 22 September. He likely moved to Santa Rosa around this time, as we did pick up a signal from his transmitter towards Santa Rosa on 5 November. A-82 flew to Santa Rosa by 31 August and we last received a signal from her VHF transmitter on 9 September on Santa Rosa.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:34:57 PM by Emyrauld »
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #809 on: March 18, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »

Many thanks Emy for all this information and the map. This sounds like there is going to be a solid investigation in this nest and it's issues.
I know what 'hack' means in falconry.  I'm guessing it has the  same application/ meaning in relation to other raptors such as bald eagles.

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam