Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah area parklands  (Read 6366 times)

Nora in IA

• Nora and Kiwi 2006 (King Plant, Bayport, MN)
Re: Decorah area parklands
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »

[quote.........]Examples with good eagle potential include the Bluffton Bluffs and the Upper and Lower Dams...........[/quote]

It's not all that far to Bluffton from home, but where are the dams? 
NE Iowa

iverburl

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »

[quote.........]Examples with good eagle potential include the Bluffton Bluffs and the Upper and Lower Dams...........

It's not all that far to Bluffton from home, but where are the dams?  
Just a bit downstream from Decorah. From the nest drive out across the highway straight past WalMart, take the first Y intersection left, follow the pavement as it curves through Freeport and out of town along the river. It changes to gravel in a couple miles. On Google maps, the Upper Dam is at the same location as "Pine Bluff 4-H Camp" and the Lower Dam is at the same location as "Upper Iowa River Access Area".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:01:04 PM by iverburl »
Changing times require unchanging principles.

Nora in IA

• Nora and Kiwi 2006 (King Plant, Bayport, MN)
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »

Ok, got it.  That's how I went to that other eagle nest I'd seen, but took the right fork.  I'll have to try the other one now too :)
NE Iowa

e3forpresident

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »

Going in July to see the Juvie Jump of 2012.  Cant wait to take in the view.  What a beautiful area.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »

Thanks Iverburl. Some of us will be 'virtual visitors' and will check in from time to time.

I'm starting this thread as a tour of Decorah area parklands. My aim is to give physical visitors a guide for planning their trip here, and virtual visitors a glimpse of the attactions of our area to humans and avians alike.

To maintain Decorah Eagles relevance, my intent is to only include a park when it has included an eagle sighting. But you'll discover my willingness to stretch that ... and if most respondents like this thread I will post parkland tours without eagles present at the time of my visit. I'll include my amateur assessment of the likelilhood of eagle sightings at the various locations. I look forward to any of your opinions, contributions, and feedback!
~Iver
'Which is more beautiful — feline movement or feline stillness?' Elizabeth Hamilton

'A man who never sees a bluebird only half lives.'
Edwin Way Teale