Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2021  (Read 61318 times)

NWargo01

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2021
« Reply #2145 on: October 14, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »

Okay DN folks - I'm new to this site, just started watching last year when the Decorah eagles decided to not return to N2B.  So I'm still unsure of which one is DNF and which one is Mr. North.  I'm also getting used to the 'tree' names so not sure if one of them is on the 'scary' tree.  Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!  ;D
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2146 on: October 14, 2021, 10:52:03 AM »

One of the adult eagles seen this morning was an intruder.  Also, one adult was on the ground by the stream eating something (probably fish) when a subadult flew down next to it.  Another adult was also nearby.  I think the one with the fish was a parent.  After awhile the intruder stole the fish and ate it.  Next, the intruder and the subadult were perched on the Scary Tree.  The sub flew off and then DNF chased off the intruder.

NW -- I can't always ID the trees when the cam is zoomed in.  Sometimes I have to try to find where the cam switched views to see if it shows a zoomed out location, or wait until the eagle flies off and hope that the cam zooms out so I can figure out the location.

Here's one from this morning that shows both views of same location.

NWargo01

« Reply #2147 on: October 14, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »

One of the adult eagles seen this morning was an intruder.  Also, one adult was on the ground by the stream eating something (probably fish) when a subadult flew down next to it.  Another adult was also nearby.  I think the one with the fish was a parent.  After awhile the intruder stole the fish and ate it.  Next, the intruder and the subadult were perched on the Scary Tree.  The sub flew off and then DNF chased off the intruder.

NW -- I can't always ID the trees when the cam is zoomed in.  Sometimes I have to try to find where the cam switched views to see if it shows a zoomed out location, or wait until the eagle flies off and hope that the cam zooms out so I can figure out the location.

Thanks for your response, Ginger.  I'm afraid I won't be able to ever remember all the names and locations of the trees/branches...scary, dining, ladder, spit, etc.  So neither of the pics I posted were DNF or Mr. N?
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #2148 on: October 14, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »

Beautiful pics - STL, Ginger and NW!!!

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2149 on: October 14, 2021, 02:20:36 PM »

Thanks for your response, Ginger.  I'm afraid I won't be able to ever remember all the names and locations of the trees/branches...scary, dining, ladder, spit, etc.  So neither of the pics I posted were DNF or Mr. N?

NW -- Your first pic was the intruder.  I'm not sure about your second pic.  Here's a pic that JanJ snipped of the intruder.  It was reacting to DNF above it before she chased it off the perch and upstream.

[/size]

jaspurr

« Reply #2150 on: October 14, 2021, 03:01:13 PM »

NW, I have given up on naming the trees.  You need a score card to keep track of everything. :) :). The tree on the left etc.   :) :) The trees across the river will be easier once the leaves are gone.  With regards to Mom and Dad I relied on Lisa and STL and the other regulars to keep me straight.  Last season, I found it pretty easy to identify Dad because he always provided the fish.  Mom was also pretty easy because she was the meat provider and provider of other gory things (cowghetti).  Right now with all these intruders and sub adults I don't know who is on first. Once the mating occurs and the nesting starts I think it will be easier.  The cam operators on this nest are phenomenal and don't miss any of the action.  Enjoy

NWargo01

« Reply #2151 on: October 14, 2021, 03:33:24 PM »

NW, I have given up on naming the trees.  You need a score card to keep track of everything. :) :). The tree on the left etc.   :) :) The trees across the river will be easier once the leaves are gone.  With regards to Mom and Dad I relied on Lisa and STL and the other regulars to keep me straight.  Last season, I found it pretty easy to identify Dad because he always provided the fish.  Mom was also pretty easy because she was the meat provider and provider of other gory things (cowghetti).  Right now with all these intruders and sub adults I don't know who is on first. Once the mating occurs and the nesting starts I think it will be easier.  The cam operators on this nest are phenomenal and don't miss any of the action.  Enjoy

Thanks Jaspurr! 

STLbf

« Reply #2152 on: October 14, 2021, 04:52:58 PM »

I agree that this time of year it is really hard to correctly ID the adult BEs and the various trees on the far side of the creek.  When the leaves come down the trees will get easier to see and identify.  Soon I'm going to get tree pics of full view and closeups as I see them. Will post them here.  With the updated cameras, we could also use an updated map posted on the DNN page. Hint, hint to RRP or whoever does these things.

The adult birds will be easier to ID when they start nesting again this winter.  MrN is the smaller of the pair, and has a very white head.  DNF, the female, is much larger and has a grayer, scruffier head. She is also more vocal when bringing prey to the nest.  The best way to be sure is to have both of them on the nest or a perch at the same time to compare.  They are tolerant of visitors at this time of year, so be patient. Here is one pic from last January, for size comparison.

In the meanwhile, who knows the little striped bird in the pic?  Cam ops have been testing the closeup capabilities around the nest & on the ground.

jaspurr

« Reply #2153 on: October 14, 2021, 05:49:09 PM »

STL, I think this a Savannah Sparrow.  It would be migrating south.  https://ebird.org/species/savspa

LisaG1967

« Reply #2154 on: October 14, 2021, 06:22:39 PM »

Ginger, thanks for the pic from Jan! 

STL - You are right about the cam ops testing out the close-up capabilities.  I captured this lil cutie when the cam ops were zooming in.

jaspurr

« Reply #2155 on: October 15, 2021, 07:39:01 AM »

Thanks Ginger, I'm done.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2156 on: October 15, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »

I'm sorry I offended you Jaspurr.  Please come back.

kizzyjr

« Reply #2157 on: October 15, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »

There were deer in the stream coming across yesterday.
Not sure if that Squirrel was just chillin or staying still for protection.
Mr and DNF stayed close together last night.
There were two Woodpeckers this morning, but only one hung around for a picture.
DNF was taking a bath, as of this post she is still drying off.

kizzyjr

« Reply #2158 on: October 15, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »

DNF Bathing and drying off

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2159 on: October 15, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »

Here's where DNF was drying off.