Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2021  (Read 67625 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2021
« Reply #2070 on: August 20, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »

STL - I have been peeping in on both those cams, such beautiful views at both! 

LisaG1967

« Reply #2071 on: August 20, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »

I really miss this family already!  I guess there's no way for a boots-on-the-ground-report here, unless maybe while the repairs are going on.

I miss them too, nan  :(

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2072 on: August 21, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »

Yesterday morning (8/20/21) CamOp Coqui posted these two pics on the Explore chat board of Mr. North.  She said:  "Both Norths spend the night at T1
Mr North visit the nest and move some sticks :)"  T1 is what the CamOps call the Scary Tree.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #2073 on: August 21, 2021, 08:50:22 AM »

Nanimal, I second that feeling of "where are the eagles" here and at Decorah.  We'll be standing in line when the cameras come back on. Well, sitting in front of our computers with anxious watching.

Do you watch the Flyway or Great Spirit Bluff?  Both cameras are still on because of fall migrations.  Some have been speculating  that the GSB peregrines have captured prey at the Flyway, which is quite close by.  And the Flyway has eagles, unbanded, that could be from DNN or Decorah, but probably aren't.  Still, eagles.
For sure, STL!
I do watch the Flyway during the shut downs at the Decorah nests. So much to see there!

Oh, thanks, Ginger for posting the recent pics of the Norths!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #2074 on: August 21, 2021, 08:56:53 AM »

Ginger - Thanks for the pics of Mr North from Coqui! 

PeepSpy

« Reply #2075 on: August 21, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »

They had a very successful year!  :D
Peace - Noel 🎅🤶🦌🌲

STLbf

« Reply #2076 on: August 21, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »

So good to see MrN. Thanks for sharing here.  Must check out the Explore camera!

STLbf

« Reply #2077 on: August 21, 2021, 01:43:06 PM »

Ginger, My access to Explore.org resulted in highlights, same as via RRP. What am I missing?

PeepSpy

« Reply #2078 on: August 21, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »

Ginger, My access to Explore.org resulted in highlights, same as via RRP. What am I missing?
It could be intermittant.
Peace - Noel 🎅🤶🦌🌲

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2079 on: August 21, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »

STL -- CamOps have access to the live feed but it's not available to the public.  I don't know if they regularly check to see if anything is going on or if Coqui just happened to check and saw Mr. North's visit. 

STLbf

« Reply #2080 on: August 21, 2021, 04:01:28 PM »

Perks for the cam ops! We appreciate everything they do, too.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2081 on: August 21, 2021, 04:03:21 PM »

Agreed!  It was really nice of Coqui to post those pics.

CamOp Spish just posted a video slideshow she created of the season:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGHTnMfAgI&t=1s[/size]

NWargo01

« Reply #2082 on: August 21, 2021, 10:36:05 PM »

Getting caught up on Forum posts again - it's fun to go through all the pics and comments. Great therapy after a tough month!  :)

STL, tig, Lisa, Ginger - all of your shots were just amazing!  It is magical at the North nest and your pics show the true beauty. Loved the shot of DNF and Mr. perched together. They must be very proud of their 'kids'!  And the pics of 13 & 14 were just priceless.  Best buds...when food wasn't involved, that is!  ;D  I didn't see much about 13 after August 1st, so I'm assuming she either dispersed or didn't make it back to the nest for a visit after that.  Hope 13 is exploring everything and enjoying her travels! 

Glad the fishing line appeared to have been 'left' at the nest.  I was so afraid he had the hook lodged in him!  Not sure how that would work its way through the eagles' body, providing it wasn't hooked in its throat.  Scary, but seems to have turned out okay.

Shout outs to MNLinda for the coyote shots and Ginger for the bird video. I was glad you mentioned the different species in your post because it helped identify the ones I wasn't familiar with.  The black capped chickadees create quite a racket in my back yard during the Fall.  I have tall privet hedges around my patio and several species of birds use them to cool off in the warm months, and stay warm in the cold months.  Because the hedges are so thick at the top, snow tends to accumulate up there, like a roof. I always make sure my feeder is full and have large and small seed cakes as a treat.  I also have a heated bird bath, so always have plenty of birds to watch no matter what time of year.  And that's just the BACK yard! LOL

It was a great year at the North nest, made possible by the fantastic cameras RRP installed, the patience and 'eagle eye' of the cam ops, and the phenomenal screen shots posted by everyone here on the Forum.  Looking forward to the next season with the city cousins and country cousins in Decorah! 

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #2083 on: August 22, 2021, 06:17:59 AM »

Agreed!  It was really nice of Coqui to post those pics.

CamOp Spish just posted a video slideshow she created of the season:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGHTnMfAgI&t=1s[/size]

Wonderful video by Spish!!!

Thanks for sharing.   :-*

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #2084 on: August 22, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »

Loved the beautiful video, Spish - thank you! The year-end compilations always make me teary but also very grateful for the opportunity to know and love an eagle family. Wishing safe travels for the five Decorah juvies, and for the parents, too. Thanks to all here and behind the scenes who've made this wonderful season possible. :-* :-* :-*
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered