Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2021  (Read 67654 times)

MNLindaBird

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2021
« Reply #2055 on: August 15, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »

A busy final morning at the North Nest site.  I think we had a Peregrine falcon in the tree, and definitely some Sandhill Cranes strolling through the field - so far...  Sure will miss all the views of visiting birds and critters while cams are down.

MNLindaBird

« Reply #2056 on: August 15, 2021, 07:08:59 AM »

...and GIGANTIC thanks to the cam operators who have spent many hours perusing the grounds to find these beautiful wonders of nature from bees and butterflies to the varieties of birds.  The close-ups of the goldfinches feeding in the flowering thistles have been so beautiful.  I think I even saw some of them eating hemp seeds off the many plants growing in the area - and if that's not plain hemp, they sure must be happy goldfinches :)

MNLindaBird

« Reply #2057 on: August 15, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »

And I think we now have an osprey...

MNLindaBird

« Reply #2058 on: August 15, 2021, 08:29:12 AM »

...and it would sure help if I attached the photo...

LisaG1967

« Reply #2059 on: August 15, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »

A few morning pics from DNN - Some views from around the area, DNF and a osprey

Arcadia

« Reply #2060 on: August 15, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »

I have greatly enjoyed the pictures and information, and comments, this year. Thank you to the cam operators and all who contributed.

Raleigheagle

« Reply #2061 on: August 15, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »

For those among us who will be going through withdrawals when this camera goes off, migrations are starting soon, so the flyway camera will be heating up.

STLbf

« Reply #2062 on: August 15, 2021, 11:52:46 AM »

What a lovely and busy morning for our last live DNN views for a while.

Always good to see DNF. She was on the ground for a bit, also.
Did you catch the doe and fawn moving from under the nest to the creek and across?
And the Sandhill Cranes?
Yes to the osprey. But I'm thinking a hawk instead of a peregrine in that creek tree. Maybe the Explore experts can confirm one or the other.

MNLinda -- I was thinking the same as you about the birds eating the hemp seeds! :o

Have great days, everybirdie, and stay safe until we can watch "live" again.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 02:13:53 PM by STLbf »

MNLindaBird

« Reply #2063 on: August 15, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »

STLbf - The doe and fawn are beautiful.  SO glad you saw them and snipped a shot to share :)  Your GBH's sure looked like SHC's to me  8)  Both species are handsome birds wherever they pause in view.  I wondered if the Osprey might be related to the one that hung around one day at the Hatchery during the ATF gathering.  Sure going to miss these views and the eagles (but I think they must have heard the plan about shutdown and timed their departure well).  Hope to be here for visits in October or so when cams are running again.  Stay well and safe everybody until then...

STLbf

« Reply #2064 on: August 15, 2021, 02:09:15 PM »

MNLinda, thank you so much for the Sandhill crane ID !!  I must have been groggy from not enough caffeine or something.  After seeing so many SHCs at the Flyway site, how could I have mis-named them?  I will go back and fix my pic label.

So here's another mystery bird for you, or someone, to ID. Looks woodpecker-ish, only brown and white, no red, but look at the beak. A juvenile something perhaps?

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2065 on: August 15, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »

STL -- it's a juvie red- headed woodpecker.

It's been a banner day here for the cam ops finding wildlife for us to watch. Here's my list (I might have missed a couple of small birdies):

Eagle (DNF)
Red-tailed Hawk
Crows
Killdeer
Doe and Fawn
Turkey Vultures (soaring)
Coyote
Sandhill Cranes
House Sparrows
Juvie European Starlings
Juvie Red-Headed Woodpeckedr
Osprey
Juvie American Robin
Squirrel (Lucky)

LisaG1967

« Reply #2066 on: August 15, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »

STL -- it's a juvie red- headed woodpecker.

It's been a banner day here for the cam ops finding wildlife for us to watch. Here's my list (I might have missed a couple of small birdies):

Eagle (DNF)
Red-tailed Hawk
Crows
Killdeer
Doe and Fawn
Turkey Vultures (soaring)
Coyote
Sandhill Cranes
House Sparrows
Juvie European Starlings
Juvie Red-Headed Woodpeckedr
Osprey
Juvie American Robin
Squirrel (Lucky)

I think you got them all!  Good job!  :D

STL - Great pics!!

STLbf

« Reply #2067 on: August 15, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »

Ginger, thanks for the ID on the juvie red-headed woodpecker.

And that's quite a list for the North site in just one day.

Go-go-cam-ops!  Thank you for all your "eagle-eyed" work this season.  Rest up and be ready when the cameras come back on.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #2068 on: August 20, 2021, 04:33:08 PM »

I really miss this family already!  I guess there's no way for a boots-on-the-ground-report here, unless maybe while the repairs are going on.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #2069 on: August 20, 2021, 05:00:29 PM »

Nanimal, I second that feeling of "where are the eagles" here and at Decorah.  We'll be standing in line when the cameras come back on. Well, sitting in front of our computers with anxious watching.

Do you watch the Flyway or Great Spirit Bluff?  Both cameras are still on because of fall migrations.  Some have been speculating  that the GSB peregrines have captured prey at the Flyway, which is quite close by.  And the Flyway has eagles, unbanded, that could be from DNN or Decorah, but probably aren't.  Still, eagles.