Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 78955 times)

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1635 on: September 18, 2021, 07:24:22 PM »

WOW on the  size of DNN, but not terribly surprised because it looks huge!
WOW and WOW on starter nests at N1 and N2B!  I am surprised and excited about that news!
Thanks for sharing, Lisa.  ;D
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

Arcadia

« Reply #1636 on: September 19, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »

Thanks for the information and the pictures, Lisa! Hoping "our" eagles will take advantage of the starter nest.

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #1637 on: September 19, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »

Hi Everybirdy!  I'm also happy to see the RRP crew trying to entice "our" eagles back to the hatchery cam viewing area and hope they're successful this coming season.  But.....being a nest building viewer over the past decade, I wonder why RRP hasn't upgraded their nest building methods. :)  For instance:  Why aren't grasses used instead of leaves in building.  I never have seen leaves brought in by BE's, and Mom, Dad and DM2 are always trimming leaves off branches, growing there, and brought in.  Just sayin" ;)  And when it comes to placing branches....well, this year was probably the best I've seen on RRP's part for creating a stick perimeter, but with the care in branch placement the BE's show, I think there's room for improvement. :)  So that's my two cents, and I'll accept any and all comments on the matter.  And please accept my next donation to RRP with the same love L feel when I write the check!  ::)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

STLbf

« Reply #1638 on: September 19, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »

Exciting news about starter nest to entice Mom and DM2 back to the hatchery area!  Fingers and toes crossed for success.

Eburg, the North eagles have brought tree branches with leaves to their nest.  I have pics of them breaking off oak branches from a tree in the wooded area "behind" the nest. Should be posted in the Forum.  Probably in fall of 2020 -- wasn't that the first year we could get views there?  Maybe check the archive for last fall or fall of 2019.  And I agree that grasses would be a good addition.  Perhaps the grasses come later in the building process.

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1639 on: September 20, 2021, 07:26:34 AM »

I believe your correct STL. The grasses do not come in until they are getting ready to form an egg cup. Lots of sticks and corn husks in the meantime.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1640 on: September 20, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »

I noticed at the end of the video, that Kike dumped a bag of what Amy called, mulch from the Decorah Yard Waste site, aka Mulch Mountain for long term fans.

I am guessing this was used to just get the nest started, formed and give it a solid base in the notch of the tree? 

Also, guessing if they take to the starter nest that more sticks, and grasses will be brought in at a later time.

NWargo01

« Reply #1641 on: September 20, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »

Thanks for the Amazon Smile update STL!  A great way to donate to RRP for sure.

Lisa, thanks for passing on the RRP FB article!  The dimensions of the North nest do not surprise me - it looks huge!  Wonder if the new cameras are an upgrade or just a replacement.  Love that RRP started a nest at N1 again!  Mom does love her Y branch.  And leaving the fish at both N1 & N2B was a great idea.  I truly think they will start the new season at one of those 2 nests, but DM2 will need to get busy at N1!  Maybe building that nest up will be the thing that persuades him to leave N3 (I hope, I hope!).

Curious to see where the Decorah backup camera will be...N3?  RRP might be covering their bases in case they decide to stay there. 

(I actually posted this on Saturday, but got one of those "someone else was posting as you were trying to post" messages. Normally I try to post again after copying my message in case it gets 'lost', but was in a hurry and forgot to do so.  As per usual, it didn't post.)
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1642 on: September 20, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »

NW - For some reason I got the impression RRP was not going to cam N3 because the tree is dead and too hazardous to climb, even if the property owners would give approval to do so.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

NWargo01

« Reply #1643 on: September 20, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »

NW - For some reason I got the impression RRP was not going to cam N3 because the tree is dead and too hazardous to climb, even if the property owners would give approval to do so.

Good point, and when the post said they were setting ropes and building a scaffold, that would usually mean it would be in the same tree as the nest.  I thought maybe they were putting the camera in a nearby tree on land that wasn't owned by the same person that owns the nest tree land.  But I guess we'll find out soon enough.  The article said 'new' Decorah location which could mean none of the nest areas we're currently familiar with.   :-\
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1644 on: September 20, 2021, 04:33:25 PM »

NW - LOL, at least your post was still there when you came back so you could post it.  :D

NWargo01

« Reply #1645 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:35 PM »

NW - LOL, at least your post was still there when you came back so you could post it.  :D

No, unfortunately it wasn't.  I had to create the post again.  This has happened to me so many times before, and another poster years ago told me to copy the message (in case I lost it) and hit Post again.  That's what I usually do, but it was late and I was in a hurry.  Not the first time I've done that, and probably won't be the last.  ;D

LisaG1967

« Reply #1646 on: September 20, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »

No, unfortunately it wasn't.  I had to create the post again.  This has happened to me so many times before, and another poster years ago told me to copy the message (in case I lost it) and hit Post again.  That's what I usually do, but it was late and I was in a hurry.  Not the first time I've done that, and probably won't be the last.  ;D

Oh, I guess I misunderstood, sorry about your post.  :-\

CheeseQueen1976

« Reply #1647 on: September 20, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »

Hi, all! I used to be Sasafrass452, but decided to make a change 😄 The new starter nest is exciting, I hope mom & dm2 accept it, or come back to n2b! Fingers crossed for another great season!

T40cfr403

« Reply #1648 on: September 21, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »

Hi, all! I used to be Sasafrass452, but decided to make a change 😄 The new starter nest is exciting, I hope mom & dm2 accept it, or come back to n2b! Fingers crossed for another great season!

CQ - Welcome back! But you're gonna have to explain how you went from sassafras to cheese! LOL! ;D
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1649 on: September 21, 2021, 02:34:41 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project
16h

Where are D27 and D36? We got a postcard from both of them earlier this week!

As you might recall, D27 left for Canada on July 16 - about the time that we were thinking she might be looking for a place to settle down! She's tended to migrate north between mid-to-late May and early June, although she's drifted later as she's aged. Still, her mid-July departure caught us by surprise! Whatever the reason - severe drought, reduced fishing opportunities, or a change of heart - she didn't stay in Canada very long. Between August 17 and August 29, she flew 653 miles south, arriving back in the Decorah area on August 31.

D36 is taking a more leisurely route south as he spends a little time in East Central Minnesota, about 80 miles or so northeast of the Twin Cities. This area is filled with trees, lakes, and rivers, including the Kettle River and St. Croix flyway, and is teeming with fish and small game. It's also near one of my favorite state parks, so I'm really hoping for a chance to look for him in early October!
A thousand thanks to Brett Mandernack and the staff of Eagle Valley for sharing their maps, knowledge, and expertise! If you'd like to explore the travels of any of the eagles we've tracked, please visit our interactive maps at https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/.

D36's map. D36 is a little over a year old. We began tracking him not long after he fledged in 2020.

D27's map. D27 is a little over four years old. We began tracking her in 2017. She might not decide to settle down right away, but she will be old enough to nest next spring.

Wolf Creek Falls in Banning State Park. Photo by Robert Johnson.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:34:16 PM by T40cfr403 »