Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 143997 times)

NWargo01

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1605 on: August 17, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »

SOOOOO good to finally get caught up in Forum again!  So much to be thankful for - fantastic pics, and being able to go to Decorah again to see our eagles and friends. 

tig, that sunset pic was phenomenal! 

jaspurr, good to see you again!  I thought you were being glib with the '35 tractor parade', but then realized you were serious! ;D  After all that, glad you got back home safely.

Lisa, tig, T40, STL, and anyone else I might have missed - love, love, love all the pics of Mom & DM2!  Lori, wonderful gifs of Mom!

BL, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Jerry and his family.  I am hoping that he is recovering and his family as well.  This Delta variant IS a "real deal bitch"!  My sister and her hubby live near Tampa and they have not gotten the vaccine - they're both in their 70s and it scares the bejesus out of me.  I'm with you...this has never been a political issue.  But it's always been a serious health issue.  Last year COVID blind sided all of us.  We had no idea what to do, who to listen to, when it would end, etc.  But this year we've been lucky enough to have extremely effective vaccines at our disposal - FREE!  I'm hoping and praying that more people will decide to be vaccinated...before this damn thing morphs again (and again, and again).  We're only a couple of variants away from the vaccines we currently have not being able to help anymore.  You and Pip stay healthy and take care!

T40, thanks for passing on all the RRP posts on Robin's Decorah trips and D27 & D36's travels.  It is much appreciated!  :)

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I strongly feel Mom and DM2 will be back next season.  The noise from the 2020 construction activities at the hatchery probably drove DM2 away, but now that it's over and N3 is in a 'deader than a doornail' tree, maybe they'll reconsider.  A tree with leaves across from a hatchery would surely beat a barren tree near a Walmart!  :o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:20:19 PM by NWargo01 »
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1606 on: August 17, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »

NW - So good to see you!   :)

T40 - Thanks for posting the RRP update on our traveling D's! 

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #1607 on: August 17, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »

So cool that D27 & D36 decided to go camping up in Ontario after all.  ;D   8)

D27 is right up in her 'old' familiar summer stomping grounds.  :)
Happy fishing & safe flight back home girl.   :-*

T40cfr403

« Reply #1608 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:31 PM »

BL - Fabulous diamond mine map!! ;D
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #1609 on: August 18, 2021, 04:23:24 AM »

So cool that D27 & D36 decided to go camping up in Ontario after all.  ;D   8)

D27 is right up in her 'old' familiar summer stomping grounds.  :)
Happy fishing & safe flight back home girl.   :-*

BL - Ditto what T40 said!

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1610 on: August 18, 2021, 07:57:05 AM »

Always great to hear about the kids!  Thanks T40 and BL.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

tigeag

« Reply #1611 on: August 20, 2021, 07:43:36 AM »

Hey NW!! Good seeing you post! I hope you are correct! I have my fingers crossed for their return!

Thanks for the updates on the kiddos, T40 and BL!!

LisaG1967

« Reply #1612 on: September 01, 2021, 08:33:22 AM »

From RRP Facebook page

Raptor Resource Project
8-30-21 Day Trip
Story and Photos by Robin Brumm
I was due for a day trip, so Monday morning I got up at dark o’clock and headed to Decorah.  As I was coming around a curve down from the hatchery, I saw an eagle on the maple tree.  I got a big smile on my face, and assumed it was Mom.  As I got to the corner, I stopped and may have squeed a little bit, because both Mom and DM2 were there!  It had been a long time since I had seen them both on the maple, and so close together!  I know that DM2 can be skittish, so I slowly pulled around the corner and onto the other side of the road.  DM2 didn’t fly off, but he sure kept an eye on everything going on in the area.

All of a sudden both Mom and DM2 called out.   I saw a third eagle fly over and DM2 gave chase.  At first, I thought it was a juvie, but after zooming in on my camera, I noticed that it was a sub-adult and starting to get some white on its head.  The SA flew toward the pine trees behind the hatchery offices, but I didn’t see where either DM2 or the SA landed.  A little while later, Mom called out again and the SA did a fly over.  Mom flew off after it, and both of them circled around the hatchery raceways and the SA flew back and landed in the pine trees again.  After a quick stop in the pines, Mom flew back to the maple tree.

Mom was keeping an eye on the SA, but she must have wanted breakfish, because she flew off the maple toward the large hatchery pond.  She swooped down and caught a fish, then flew over to her favorite place to eat, the horse pasture tree.  As soon as Mom caught the fish, the SA flew out of the pine tree and followed her to the horse pasture tree.  It landed on a branch above Mom.   I saw another eagle flying out of the corner of my eye.  It was DM2!  I’m not sure where he came from, but he chased the SA and knocked it out of the horse pasture tree.  The SA flew back to the pine trees, while DM2 flew to the dead tree that is upstream from N1.

After mom finished her fish, she flew back to the maple tree.  She perched there a while keeping an eye on the SA.  Eventually, Mom flew to the pines to chase away the SA.  The SA flew toward N1, but I couldn’t see where it went.  Mom flew back to the maple.  I changed the battery in my camera, looked up at the maple, and mom was gone.  I looked all over and couldn’t see her, then I saw her coming from the direction of the pine trees chasing the SA.  The SA flew toward the north, over the hatchery and N1, and flew over the bluff out of sight.  Meanwhile, Mom had flown back to the maple tree.  Mom perched there for quite a while until she flew off toward the large hatchery pond and caught another fish.  She ate it in the horse pasture tree, and then flew off upstream behind N1 and disappeared.

After waiting a couple of hours, I decided it was time for me to fly... Umm... I mean, drive home, Lol.   Although there was a lot of action today, it all took place in about 2 ½ hours. At times, I felt like I was watching a tennis match!   I was disappointed that I didn’t see any of the juvies, but I was expecting that they had already dispersed from the area. Even though I didn’t see any juvies, it was still a great day because I got to see both Mom and DM2 at the hatchery and defending their territory.  I hope the next time I go on a day trip, that I will get to see them both again… and if they could stay in one spot a little longer that would be great! lol

RRP appreciates Robin's generosity in sharing her photos and reminds you they are copyrighted and may not be downloaded without her express written consent.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:37:10 AM by LisaG1967 »

tjjtj

« Reply #1613 on: September 01, 2021, 10:16:47 AM »

What age would you guess the SA is in Robin's recent report?   3-4  or 4-5?  Does it look old enough to be scouting around for a nesting place?
NC almost SC   USA

NWargo01

« Reply #1614 on: September 01, 2021, 10:40:15 AM »

Lisa, thanks so much for posting Robin's latest report on Mom and DM2.  Sounds like she got to witness a lot of activity in a short amount of time.  I hope that's a good sign that both of them were defending their territory, and that they'll take up residence at N2B again this coming season.  Maybe Mom can convince DM2 to rebuild at N1 - that would help satisfy his nest building instinct.  Either way, N1 or N2B, I'm sure we'd all be happy to see them at either site for the 2022 nesting season.  Time will tell!  :P ;D
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

Puff

« Reply #1615 on: September 01, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »

Thanks for the nest/hatchery action Lisa  ala Robin.  A surprise treat, adventures of M and DM2!

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #1616 on: September 01, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »

tjjtj - I was going to say 2-3 yr.  I always use this reference chart for ages of the SA's when trying to figure it out.  Hope this helps!

Puff and NW - You're welcome.  I love reading Robin's day trip report and after going to ATF this year, I actually felt like I was right there with her.  I knew all the places she was mentioning in her report. 
Fingers crossed they come back to N2B or in the near vicinity!

NWargo01

« Reply #1617 on: September 01, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »

tjjtj - I was going to say 2-3 yr.  I always use this reference chart for ages of the SA's when trying to figure it out.  Hope this helps!

Puff and NW - You're welcome.  I love reading Robin's day trip report and after going to ATF this year, I actually felt like I was right there with her.  I knew all the places she was mentioning in her report. 
Fingers crossed they come back to N2B or in the near vicinity!

That is a neat progression chart!  I never saw one like that before, but it's very helpful.  I was thinking the SA looked to be between 2 - 3 yrs. old.

STLbf

« Reply #1618 on: September 01, 2021, 06:42:03 PM »

Lisa, thanks for posting the age progression pics! So very helpful.  Double thanks for posting Robin Brumm's notes and pics. So comforting to hear that Mom and DM2 are there and doing their thing so effectively!  It's September, so not long before the cameras will be back online.  Hope the camera operators are getting lots of rest.

tjjtj

« Reply #1619 on: September 01, 2021, 09:46:41 PM »

Lisa, thank you for your wonderful reply.  Your progression pictures are very helpful and I think you are right.  The SA is younger than I thought. 
NC almost SC   USA