Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 79857 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1545 on: August 05, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project
17h

8/1/21 & 8/2/21 Day Trip
Story and Photos by Robin Brumm

Day 1
It had been a few weeks, so I was due for a trip to Decorah.  A friend was going to meet me there and we both wanted to see if we could find the juvies, and see them flying around.  I got up early, packed up the car and headed to Decorah.  I got there around 7:00am.  Shortly after I got there, Mom flew to a tree at the base of the bluff.  She stayed there for quite a while and then flew over the retention pond, caught a fish, and went to N2B.  She stayed on the skywalk for a bit.  It was good to see her perched there from the ground. It felt a little bit like old times when they were nesting in N2B.  Of course, my camera battery was really low so I told Mom not to leave because I needed to get a battery from my car! lol I walked back toward the hatchery and as I got to the bridge, Mom flew over my head and landed on the Maple2.  She then flew to a tree at the base of the bluff. 

We left to go get some lunch around 1:00 and as we were driving we saw 2 juvies flying to the east of the N3 nest. They were catching some updrafts from the bluff that is there. After lunch, we walked down the trail to N3 and we saw 2 juvies flying high above the area.  They would fly toward each other, and grab talons, then fly apart, then come back together and one would flip over and grab the other one’s talons.  It is so exciting when they are playing in the sky and fine-tuning their skills. They were up very high, and could hardly see them if you weren’t looking through the binoculars.  I was able to get a few pictures, but they are not as clear as I would like because the juvies were so far away.  Eventually, they flew back to the N3 area.  One juvie landed on a branch on the side of the nest, and the other one landed on the perch tree.  We were sitting watching them and then saw the third juvie fly low over the area.  We could hear it coming because it was squeeing!! We figured there had to be a parent close if the juvies were squeeing, so we looked at the dead tree and it looked like DM2 was perched there.  The parent flew down toward the stream and then flew up to the nest and a Juvie followed it to the nest.  It looked like DM2 brought something to the nest, but I don’t think it was food.  The juvie mantled, but didn’t look like it ate anything.  When we left for the evening, there was a juvie in the nest and a parent on the dead tree. 

DAY 2
Mom was on the Maple2 when we got to the hatchery. She flew off and tried to catch a fish in the large hatchery pond, but she missed and landed on the ground. She flew from one side of the pond to the other side trying to catch something. After about 5 or 6 tries, including stepping into the pond, she finally caught one and flew toward the N1 area. We walked over in that direction but couldn't find her. 

We decided to go to N3 to see if she had flown there.  We parked our car and as we were getting our stuff out of the car we saw 2 juvies flying very low over the parking lot. They circled around above us and kept soaring overhead, going higher and higher.  When they were small specks in the sky, the third juvie flew over, again very low.  We both jumped, because it came from behind us and we didn’t see it until it was right overhead. It seemed like it was so close we could have reached up and touched it, but I’m sure it was higher than that.  It flew over and followed the river and went behind some trees. 

We walked down the trail to the N3 area and saw a parent on the dead tree.  We think it was DM2.  We could hear squees but couldn’t see a juvie.  The parent flew down and then flew to the perch tree.  We heard squees getting louder and a juvie flew into the perch tree near the parent.  I believe the parent had a fish because the juvie looked like it was eating.  The parent flew to the dead tree and after the juvie finished eating, it flew to the nest. 

By this time, it was getting late and we both needed to head for home. I’m still hoping that the juvies make an appearance at the hatchery… maybe next time!  Of course, until next time, I'd settle for a camera glimpse of any of them exploring the Maple2, the Y Branch at N1, or even a pit stop at N2B or the Skywalk.  That isn't asking for too much, is it? 

RRP appreciates Robin's generosity in sharing her photos and reminds you they are copyrighted and may not be downloaded without her express written consent.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

tigeag

« Reply #1546 on: August 05, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »

T40, thanks for the RRP post from Robin!

tigeag

« Reply #1547 on: August 05, 2021, 12:41:53 PM »

Tig, great B&W pics of Mom and DM2 today!
Thanks STL!

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1548 on: August 05, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »

Great to hear they're all doing well! Thanks T40 and Robin!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #1549 on: August 07, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »

Morning visit to M2

STLbf

« Reply #1550 on: August 07, 2021, 01:29:26 PM »

Nice to see Mom at M2, and to see your pics, Lisa!

I haven't been watching the Decorah nest much this year, so not familiar with birds that soar around and perch on the tall tower up on the bluffs. Eagles? Hawks? Vultures? Other?

T40cfr403

« Reply #1551 on: August 07, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »

STL - I'm gonna guess vultures based on your first pic. Wings are V-shaped in flight like a vulture and not straight like an eagle.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

lilbirdz

« Reply #1552 on: August 07, 2021, 02:41:41 PM »

T40, thanks for sharing Robin's adventures. She got to see a juvie! Oh, how I miss those squee-eees.

STLbf

« Reply #1553 on: August 07, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

T40, thanks for the vulture vote. I thought that, also the numbers didn't say eagles, based on the time of year and the location.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1554 on: August 07, 2021, 06:06:41 PM »

Nice to see Mom at M2, and to see your pics, Lisa!

I haven't been watching the Decorah nest much this year, so not familiar with birds that soar around and perch on the tall tower up on the bluffs. Eagles? Hawks? Vultures? Other?

Thanks, STL

Great pics of the Tv’s on the tower!

LisaG1967

« Reply #1555 on: August 09, 2021, 07:06:24 AM »

Some birdy on M2 early this morning....looks like Mom

tigeag

« Reply #1556 on: August 09, 2021, 07:07:12 AM »

Great pics Lisa and STL!

tigeag

« Reply #1557 on: August 09, 2021, 07:46:06 PM »

:)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1558 on: August 10, 2021, 04:42:37 AM »

LisaG1967

« Reply #1559 on: August 10, 2021, 05:56:57 AM »

Early morning pics - Mom all tucked in on the skywalk.  She left skywalk and headed over to M2.