Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 124524 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1350 on: July 16, 2021, 02:40:14 PM »

Nan - I am having a wonderful time!  Mom flew over our heads a couple times last night. Just awesome!

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #1351 on: July 16, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »

The group was standing where the red X is on that 'elbow' of the Bike Path.
It was pretty hard to tell exactly which way the spotting scope was pointing & the peeps were looking.

The oblique aerial imagery in the image below was taken on April 19 2020.
I scanned the dickens out of all of the trees around there and I couldn't spot a nest (zoomed way in and from multiple angles).   :( 

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=110&LayerID=1180&PageTypeID=4&PageID=4263&KeyValue=112332800100

I believe N3 is somewhere inside the green ellipse on the other side of the Upper Iowa River from where they were standing.
That oxbow of U.I.R. looks like a nice place to fish.  :)

iverburl

« Reply #1352 on: July 16, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »

It was pretty hard to tell exactly which way the spotting scope was pointing & the peeps were looking.

I scanned the dickens out of all of the trees around there and I couldn't spot a nest (zoomed way in and from multiple angles).   :( 

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=110&LayerID=1180&PageTypeID=4&PageID=4263&KeyValue=112332800100

I believe N3 is somewhere inside the green ellipse on the other side of the Upper Iowa River from where they were standing.
The back (east) wall of Walmart, which is parallel to the trail alongside the dog park, lines up with N3. Imagine a line extending across the river, and N3 is on the far bank. Because of the oxbow you can see why photos and videos have been a stretch.
Changing times require unchanging principles.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1353 on: July 16, 2021, 05:26:55 PM »

Nan - I am having a wonderful time!  Mom flew over our heads a couple times last night. Just awesome!
Yay, Lisa! I just knew it would be. And you got a flyover already! :D
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #1354 on: July 16, 2021, 09:37:44 PM »

A few pics I took today with my cell.  N3, Mom’s new nest and River Valley Raptors brought some raptors for us to see….the two I got pics with my cell are of a kestrel and goshawk.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1355 on: July 17, 2021, 01:24:25 AM »

The back (east) wall of Walmart, which is parallel to the trail alongside the dog park, lines up with N3. Imagine a line extending across the river, and N3 is on the far bank. Because of the oxbow you can see why photos and videos have been a stretch.

iverburl - I tried to follow your description with my limited tools and talents. Is the attached in the neighborhood of N3?
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

iverburl

« Reply #1356 on: July 17, 2021, 03:33:38 AM »

iverburl - I tried to follow your description with my limited tools and talents. Is the attached in the neighborhood of N3?
Bingo.
Changing times require unchanging principles.

tigeag

« Reply #1357 on: July 17, 2021, 08:22:15 AM »

Great pics Lisa!

Thanks for the info on N3 BL, T40 and Iver!

LisaG1967

« Reply #1358 on: July 17, 2021, 09:20:12 AM »

Thanks, tig

lilbirdz

« Reply #1359 on: July 17, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »

Lisa, it's amazing that you had such an extraordinary spotting experience right out of the gate. You deserve it, sweetie! Now get off the Forum and go make some more memories of a lifetime.  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1360 on: July 17, 2021, 03:06:30 PM »

Lisa, it's amazing that you had such an extraordinary spotting experience right out of the gate. You deserve it, sweetie! Now get off the Forum and go make some more memories of a lifetime.  :)

Lol, lil, thank you.  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1361 on: July 17, 2021, 08:15:59 PM »

A few pics of Mr Decorah from today.

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #1362 on: July 17, 2021, 11:17:02 PM »

LisaG what a great 1st Decorah visit you're having.  What an eagle cam viewer blast !
Pip & I are grinning from ear to ear so hard our cheeks hurt.   ;D

Meeting Ambassador Decorah in person what a treat that must have been on such a fine weather day at the Hatchery.  8)
Safe travels back to MD.   8)  8)

Bingo.

Boy was I way off on where I thought N3 was from the BOTG field reports. 
A slight disinformation campaign perhaps until after the ATF reveal ?  ;)  :P

I thought for sure N3 was somewhere NW of Trout Run Rd & S of Iowa 9 somewhere in the BLUE ellipse just outside of the Trout Run WMA 'stair steps' of public land.

I had no idea Mom, DM2, 37, 38 & 39 were hanging out NW of Wally World snagging dropped parking lot corn dogs.   ;)  :o

But seriously laying talons on all of the aquatic takings from just above the outside bank of that oxbow on the UIR and all of the surrounding fields for mammals is a brilliant sustenance strategy. 

Unfortunately your present ice cream cone shaped nest is in a dead Ash tree ..
.. come on back to the Cottonwood fold.   

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #1363 on: July 18, 2021, 12:55:22 AM »

Seeing as N3 and "the eagle is out of the bag" and all ..

20 foot contour lines black.
Roads maroon.
Trout Run Trail green.
Trout Run Creek, Trout Run, Retention pond & Upper Iowa River blue. 2nd image.

N2B  about 880 ft above MSL.
N3    about 836 ft above MSL.

I don't see Mom & DM2 carting fish 1.8 miles from the retention pond back to N3 for the dead Ash tree amigos.
1st image.

The 'new 3 D's' at N3 are being fed from the UIR below or nearer environs I would thunk.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:36:19 PM by BrokenLug »

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #1364 on: July 18, 2021, 02:27:12 AM »

This one goes out to T40.

Doesn't it sort of remind you of a certain siblings Canadian honey hole
Gee I sure wonder and wish I knew were the fish would get confused and pushed to

"If I was an angler I'd think like a bald eagle, if I was a bald eagle I'd just laugh at the anglers"

Some sage old timer Idaho rafting guru's advice imparted to me

Learn to fish the wild places then fishing learns you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:02:42 AM by BrokenLug »