Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 129313 times)

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1335 on: July 15, 2021, 09:10:40 AM »

Oh, jaspurr, I just read that you'll be in Decorah, as well. Have a wonderful time! Is it your first trip?
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

bustopbird

• ChatMods
« Reply #1336 on: July 15, 2021, 10:54:44 AM »

I am in heaven. I just pulled up at the hatchery and Mom is on M2!!!
So happy for Lisa and everyone going to ATF.  I well remember the first time I saw Mom in person-the joy is indescribable! Have fun and keep those pictures coming.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches on your soul.  Emily Dickinson

iverburl

« Reply #1337 on: July 15, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »

Here is a list of changes I recall in Decorah since last ATF.

The Landing, across bridge from Whippy Dip and beside Pulpit Rock Brewery, is a group of about half a dozen food vendors around a comfortable seating area, plus outside seating.

Old Armory BBQ has left the old armory building and now across the street from The Landing.

Impact Coffee (our favorite) now is in a big and comfortable building on the main drag, in the former Penney's store.

High Wide and Handsome is a new pizza place across the street from Mabe's. A bit more gourmet. But strangest name ever for a restaurant. Must be an inside joke or something.

Ruby's is closed. The place most comparable is Family Table where Mechanic Street turns into Short Street. Look for a Viking serving pie.

Java John's and Magpie might now offer more breakfast choices than before.

301 Eatery is on the main street across from Blue Heron Knittery, but only does lunches and then a slim selection. And irregular hours or offerings. We tried to buy stuff there twice without luck, and have given up.

Beyond the Bar Bakery is near Sugar Bowl ice cream (white with a balcony) on the main street. Another place that seems to be difficult to find open, but the one time I got in the door there were good treats.

Decorah Coop Grocery has a smaller hot food bar now and only outdoor seating since the pandemic. They have been one of the most cautious. CORRECTION They reopened their indoor seating yesterday.

Welcome to Decorah everyone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:26:28 PM by iverburl »
Changing times require unchanging principles.

jaspurr

« Reply #1338 on: July 15, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »

nanimal, this is my fourth trip.  Met Lisa this am.  As soon as Lisa arrived at the hatchery Mom showed up at the Maple tree and sat there for almost two hours.  It is safe to say that Lisa is a Happy Camper.

Arcadia

« Reply #1339 on: July 15, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »

T40 -  Seeing Mom up there made the trip from Maryland definitely worth the while. I almost forgot to put the car in park before I got out, I was so excited!  ;D

I am so pleased to hear about your official greeter!! Have a wonderful time.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1340 on: July 15, 2021, 05:28:48 PM »

From RRP's ATF Schedule for today, July 15, 2021:

9:00 AM and Noon: Join RRP Director John Howe at the Decorah Dog Park for a look at N3! Park at Walmart and amble over to the nearby dog park to catch a glimpse of new nest N3 and possibly the Decorah Eagles! Walmart map: https://goo.gl/maps/mY1KWH8E6emNQmuSA) and Dog Park map: https://goo.gl/maps/F4j6jRkFwrt78F698.

OK you ATFers! Spill!

On the cam site, it says this for tomorrow :

Friday, July 16
8:00 AM: Virtual live fish hatchery tour. Get up early and join us!
Noon: Virtual live look at N3
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:44:40 PM by T40cfr403 »
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #1341 on: July 15, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »

Don't know who this is just now, but that's Mom's shade of eyeshadow. 8)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1342 on: July 15, 2021, 09:41:32 PM »

I have had the best day ever!  Mom was at the hatchery when I got there at 6 am, and she stayed for a lil over 3 hours.  Everyone is so nice and friendly.  I went to lunch with Glo, and she and I took a ride by the Walmart parking lot get a peek at N3 and while we were there, we could see a fledgling in the tree next to N3 perched on the branch.  There was a visiting eagle that sat perched in the bluffs for a lil while this afternoon, and then finally Mom showed back up and we think DM2 as well at the hatchery.  I just got back to my room.  I hated leaving the hatchery, as Mom was still perched on top of M2.

tigeag

« Reply #1343 on: July 15, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »

I have had the best day ever!  Mom was at the hatchery when I got there at 6 am, and she stayed for a lil over 3 hours.  Everyone is so nice and friendly.  I went to lunch with Glo, and she and I took a ride by the Walmart parking lot get a peek at N3 and while we were there, we could see a fledgling in the tree next to N3 perched on the branch.  There was a visiting eagle that sat perched in the bluffs for a lil while this afternoon, and then finally Mom showed back up and we think DM2 as well at the hatchery.  I just got back to my room.  I hated leaving the hatchery, as Mom was still perched on top of M2.

It sounds like you had a great day!! I'm so excited for you!

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #1344 on: July 15, 2021, 10:08:52 PM »

awww Lisa, I'm so happy for you! Best day ever!  ;D :-*
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

pelmomma

• ChatMods
« Reply #1345 on: July 15, 2021, 11:53:03 PM »

Hi all.  For those of us not in Decorah (and envying/rejoicing for those who are) here are the live stream events straight from Amy:

We will be broadcasting these live After The Fledge events on the Decorah Eagles page at our website [https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/] and explore.org [https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/decorah-eagles]

Friday, July 16
8:00 AM: Virtual live fish hatchery tour. Get up early and join us!
Noon: Virtual live look at N3
3:00 PM: River Valley Raptors. Meet the birds of River Valley Raptors – and their humans, too! You can see some of them here: https://www.facebook.com/rivervalleyraptors

Saturday, July 17
Noon: Virtual Eagle Tracking lesson. John Howe will talk about our Decorah Eagles tracking project and show everyone how we use the transmitter to find eagles.
2 PM: Meet Mr. Decorah. This will be awesome!
3 PM: Learn more about what we do and where we are going, and ask John questions.
Please encourage your friends to switch away from lead when they hunt and fish.

https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/hunt-and-fish-lead-free/

T40cfr403

« Reply #1346 on: July 16, 2021, 12:05:49 AM »

Lisa - So grateful for your report and excited you're having a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You're a brave girl for driving across country to live out all of our dreams of being in Decorah with our beloved chatters and eagles. Thrilled you and tsk got together, too! Talk about an epic road trip. Can't wait to hear more. Take care. ;)

Philjo56France

« Reply #1347 on: July 16, 2021, 12:20:03 AM »

Hi everyone!
07-15-2021
Around 17h30 a dirty or molting one or a subadult ? may be video quality too...
and the same i think, around 19h00

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1348 on: July 16, 2021, 07:29:02 AM »

You can hear the pure joy in your words, Lisa! So happy you and the others are enjoying this memorable experience! Wishing all of you another great day!

Thanks, pelmomma, for the RRP info, and thanks RRP for including us in the festivities!

They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

T40cfr403

« Reply #1349 on: July 16, 2021, 01:16:31 PM »

S'caps of N3 taken from John's live (on rewind) webcam broadcast! Thanks, RRP!