Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 128523 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1125 on: June 20, 2021, 12:55:43 PM »

T40 - Thanks for sharing Rosieann's video.

STL - It's been a few days since I've heard eagle chatter in the morning, so this morning was a real treat to see her.

TPABay111

« Reply #1126 on: June 21, 2021, 05:02:35 PM »

Robin saw 1 hover & branching at N3 on Saturday! https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/06/21/6-19-21-day-trip/

...and RRP put an update that IzzySam spotted a fledgling in Decorah yesterday!

And... another blog post by RRP: https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/06/21/will-the-decorah-fledglings-go-to-the-hatchery/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:04:42 PM by TPABay111 »

LisaG1967

« Reply #1127 on: June 21, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »

TPA - Thanks for posting the links. 

I had seen the Robin post on FB that RRP posted, but didn't see the other blog post about the fledglings.  Very interesting read!

I also noticed while clicking on the links you provided, there is a Watch Party featuring NOVA: Eagle Power tomorrow night.

https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/06/21/join-us-for-a-vip-watch-party-featuring-nova-eagle-power/ 

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #1128 on: June 21, 2021, 08:23:30 PM »

TPA - Thanks for posting the links. 

I had seen the Robin post on FB that RRP posted, but didn't see the other blog post about the fledglings.  Very interesting read!

I also noticed while clicking on the links you provided, there is a Watch Party featuring NOVA: Eagle Power tomorrow night.

https://www.raptorresource.org/2021/06/21/join-us-for-a-vip-watch-party-featuring-nova-eagle-power/

Thanks Lisa!  I was just going to post this about Nova... very cool!  I'm there!!!
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #1129 on: June 21, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »

Exciting news in Robin's latest report. Mom and DM2 need to build next season's nest at original DN1 Y nest.

Thanks to everyone for great photos and videos.

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #1130 on: June 21, 2021, 09:12:04 PM »

With Father's Day just around the corner I want to celebrate the amazing eagle fathers in Decorah.  You could not ask for better examples of mates, nest builders, providers and nurturing male eagles.  Watching Dad who is gone in body but still here in spirit, DM2 and DN (North nest) have brought so many happy memories and smiles to my face.
jaspurr, Well said! I applaud you.

tigeag

« Reply #1131 on: June 21, 2021, 09:29:58 PM »

Thanks for the links to the RRP posts, TPA!

Robin's pictures are great! Sure hope Mom and DM2 lead the kiddos to the hatchery.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1132 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »

Join us for a VIP Watch Party featuring NOVA: Eagle Power!
June 21, 2021 RaptorResource

Join Iowa PBS and the Raptor Resource Project virtually on Tuesday, June 22 at 7 p.m. for a VIP Watch Party featuring NOVA: Eagle Power. This program takes viewers into the lives of these spectacular birds, following a nest of bald eagle chicks as they face everything from sibling rivalries to insect swarms and learn the skills they’ll need to survive. Meanwhile, researchers study one special golden eagle, using cutting-edge filming technology to capture her hunting techniques and flight maneuvers.

After the program, members of the Decorah-based Raptor Resource Project will join the conversation live to discuss the Decorah eagles, which are featured in this national program. Through the online shared media viewing platform, audience members can discuss the film, share resources and ask questions during the live discussion.

>>> RSVP for free and join us here: ovee.itvs.org/screenings/bxc6l. We look forward to seeing you!
News
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #1133 on: June 23, 2021, 01:57:23 AM »

Join Iowa PBS and the Raptor Resource Project virtually on Tuesday, June 22 at 7 p.m. for a VIP Watch Party featuring NOVA: Eagle Power. This program takes viewers into the lives of these spectacular birds, following a nest of bald eagle chicks as they face everything from sibling rivalries to insect swarms and learn the skills they’ll need to survive. Meanwhile, researchers study one special golden eagle, using cutting-edge filming technology to capture her hunting techniques and flight maneuvers.

After the program, members of the Decorah-based Raptor Resource Project will join the conversation live to discuss the Decorah eagles, which are featured in this national program. Through the online shared media viewing platform, audience members can discuss the film, share resources and ask questions during the live discussion.

>>> RSVP for free and join us here: ovee.itvs.org/screenings/bxc6l. We look forward to seeing you!
News

Here's the video for anyone who may have missed it: Eagle Power - https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/eagle-power/

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1134 on: June 23, 2021, 04:22:52 AM »

News

Here's the video for anyone who may have missed it: Eagle Power - https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/eagle-power/

Thank you, T40  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1135 on: June 23, 2021, 07:28:25 AM »

A couple morning pics from Decorah...not eagles  :(

T40cfr403

« Reply #1136 on: June 23, 2021, 11:40:57 AM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project
35m 
We're getting a lot of questions about watching the Decorah Eagles in the 2021/2022 season. John talked about this during our interview with Iowa Public TV last night and I wanted to share it with the wider world.
Are we going to be able to watch the Decorah Eagles next season? It's gotten very complicated. The N3 nest tree (as many of you know from Robin's Day Trips) is dead. Even if the landowner was excited about streaming, we can't climb the tree to install cameras and we don't know how well we can see them from adjacent trees, or how long those trees will remain healthy.
Bald eagles tend to abandon nest trees once the crown has died back and stopped producing leaves, so we don't even know whether Mom and DM2 will stay. They could return to the hatchery and N2B or build a new nest in another tree. Eagle researcher Mark Stahlmaster didn't count eagle nests as abandoned until they went five years without use, which gives us hope for N2B. Here's a video that gave several of you hope for a new nest at N1. Mom looks lovely! https://youtu.be/GKGPrrRszOs.
So: we were working on ways to stream N3 until we learned that the nest tree was dead. This new wrinkle has caused us to rethink our plans. We'll continue to watch the hatchery in person and remotely, and hope to know a little more about Mom and DM2's plans by early September. We'll share our observations with you. You can help us by sharing your observations via youtube, explore, facebook, and our website as we watch and wait to see what they do!

STLbf

« Reply #1137 on: June 23, 2021, 12:09:43 PM »

Lisa, that was a gorgeous sunrise!

T40, thanks for the RRP update on the N3 situation. Always a new wrinkle when it comes to the eagles.  Still hoping to see Mom & DM2's fledglings at N1 and N2B, any day now.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1138 on: June 23, 2021, 12:12:40 PM »

Thanks, STL....it was just as gorgeous here, as it was at DNN this morning!  ;)

T40 - Thanks for the RRP post.  Keeping my talons crossed that Mom & DM2 return to N2B, or in the vicinity of cam range next season!

tigeag

« Reply #1139 on: June 23, 2021, 04:16:46 PM »

Great pics Lisa!

Thanks for the update from RRP, T40.

I'm with you Lisa! Hoping Mom and DM2 return back HOME!