Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 124856 times)

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #960 on: June 01, 2021, 07:48:38 AM »

Goodness!  Have never seen that many GBHs here! :D
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #961 on: June 01, 2021, 10:54:16 AM »

A gathering of GBHs at Decorah.

LisaG1967

« Reply #962 on: June 02, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »

A few morning pics from Decorah - Mom, a lil friend of Mom's, and a beautiful sunrise

NWargo01

« Reply #963 on: June 02, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »

Much thanks to TPA for posting the link to Iver Burl's videos!  So good to see Mom and her 3 BIG healthy eaglets!  If DM2 picked this tree to build N3 in, he really knew what he was doing.  The way the branches are shaped they cradle the nest perfectly.  It doesn't look very wide though, just deep.  Course we're looking at it from ground level, not above like we can when cameras are there, so it may be wider than it seems.  Looks like Mom has a skinny version of the skywalk she likes to perch on.  :)  Also, great shot of the GBH!

T40, thanks for the video of the eagle vocals and Mom at the Maple.  Looks like it conceals her pretty well. 

Lisa, fantastic pics as usual!  You have a real eye for composition (and a lot of patience!).  Our cam ops provide such great views - they truly are the best!

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend and a peaceful Memorial Day.  Now that we're in June I'm starting to get excited about going to Decorah in July!  Missed it so much last year. Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and hope we all get some good views of Mom and her fledglings.

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #964 on: June 02, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »

Much thanks to TPA for posting the link to Iver Burl's videos!  So good to see Mom and her 3 BIG healthy eaglets!  If DM2 picked this tree to build N3 in, he really knew what he was doing.  The way the branches are shaped they cradle the nest perfectly.  It doesn't look very wide though, just deep.  Course we're looking at it from ground level, not above like we can when cameras are there, so it may be wider than it seems.  Looks like Mom has a skinny version of the skywalk she likes to perch on.  :)  Also, great shot of the GBH!

T40, thanks for the video of the eagle vocals and Mom at the Maple.  Looks like it conceals her pretty well. 

Lisa, fantastic pics as usual!  You have a real eye for composition (and a lot of patience!).  Our cam ops provide such great views - they truly are the best!

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend and a peaceful Memorial Day.  Now that we're in June I'm starting to get excited about going to Decorah in July!  Missed it so much last year. Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and hope we all get some good views of Mom and her fledglings.

NW - Thank you for the kind words.  I just capture what I see.  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #965 on: June 03, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »

Some morning views from the cam ops - our resident squirrel playing in the nest, and a GBH on the treetop

NWargo01

« Reply #966 on: June 03, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »

Some morning views from the cam ops - our resident squirrel playing in the nest, and a GBH on the treetop

Nice shot of the GBH!  I never knew they perched in trees until I saw everyone's pics in forum! 
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #967 on: June 03, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »

Nice shot of the GBH!  I never knew they perched in trees until I saw everyone's pics in forum!

Thanks!

iverburl

« Reply #968 on: June 03, 2021, 02:23:16 PM »

They nest in trees!
Changing times require unchanging principles.

LisaG1967

« Reply #969 on: June 03, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »

They nest in trees!

iverburl - I have been waiting for the cam ops to spot one of those nests!  :)

iverburl

« Reply #970 on: June 04, 2021, 03:22:30 AM »

They nest in trees!

That would be sweet, but unlikely. Herons nest in large communities called rookeries, that they return to every year. The herons we see on the Decorah cam might nest at a rookery near me a dozen miles away. But you can watch a GBH cam at a Chesapeake rookery!
https://explore.org/livecams/birds/great-blue-herons-chesapeake-conservancy
Changing times require unchanging principles.

LisaG1967

« Reply #971 on: June 04, 2021, 04:41:51 AM »

They nest in trees!

That would be sweet, but unlikely. Herons nest in large communities called rookeries, that they return to every year. The herons we see on the Decorah cam might nest at a rookery near me a dozen miles away. But you can watch a GBH cam at a Chesapeake rookery!
https://explore.org/livecams/birds/great-blue-herons-chesapeake-conservancy

Thanks, I have checked this cam out before. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #972 on: June 05, 2021, 06:20:08 AM »

Morning pics from Decorah - A very early morning fly-by from someone near N2B, beautiful sunrise with what looks like a GBH flying, and the GBH's on the treetops

T40cfr403

« Reply #973 on: June 05, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »

Lisa - The early bird (you) catches the GBH? Ha! Thanks. ;)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #974 on: June 05, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »

Lisa - The early bird (you) catches the GBH? Ha! Thanks. ;)

;D ;D You're welcome!