Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 124925 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #900 on: May 17, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »

Lilbirbz, anything that brings a genuine chuckle of enjoyment is a good thing, right?  Glad you enjoyed the pic of the GBH. They do the same for me.

Philjo & Lisa, thanks for your pics of Mom in the M2 maple.

T40, love to see the whereabouts maps for D27 and D36.  Wouldn't it be great if they nested near enough to Decorah for us to see them! D27 is a female born in 2017, so not far from adulthood.   D36, born in 2020, but male or female?

T40cfr403

« Reply #901 on: May 17, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »

STL - D36 is male! :-* New data points popped up for him this morning (below). Obviously neither D27 or D36 are too interested in heading north just yet! 8)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #902 on: May 17, 2021, 12:59:59 PM »

Decorah Eagles 5-16-21, Adult BE (DM2?) at the Y, mobbed by blackbirds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3PW8JLVss

Watch closely at the beginning. I'm a fool for saying this but that's DM2! 8)  DM2 flutters his wings a little on landing, just like this bird. And then there's that call - sort of higher-pitched and rapid.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

LisaG1967

« Reply #903 on: May 17, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »

STL - D36 is male! :-* New data points popped up for him this morning (below). Obviously neither D27 or D36 are too interested in heading north just yet! 8)

Thanks, T40.....our boy isn't too far from home!

LisaG1967

« Reply #904 on: May 17, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »

Decorah Eagles 5-16-21, Adult BE (DM2?) at the Y, mobbed by blackbirds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3PW8JLVss

Watch closely at the beginning. I'm a fool for saying this but that's DM2! 8)  DM2 flutters his wings a little on landing, just like this bird. And then there's that call - sort of higher-pitched and rapid.

Thanks for the video, T40 from tulsa!

No fool for saying it.  Glad to see someone might think so, as well. 

MNLindaBird

« Reply #905 on: May 17, 2021, 03:06:02 PM »

Just wondering if I may be the only person pondering how the N3 eaglets will be able to learn how to branch effectively when all the branches on this particular tree appear to be very upright rather than somewhat horizontal (tree seems definitely NOT a cottonwood or oak).  I would imagine that the eagles have an answer for this.  Do any of our viewers wonder about this also?

Puff

« Reply #906 on: May 17, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »

What I wondered about things also MNlindabird  is about the branches being so bare.  The little ones use to pant in the shade of N1, N2, and N2B.  Full sun will not be good.  I did send out the comment about things looking bare.  One response from Iver tried to calm my thoughts.  He knows the tree of what we speak so he does know more than I.

P

T40cfr403

« Reply #907 on: May 17, 2021, 04:36:32 PM »

Just wondering if I may be the only person pondering how the N3 eaglets will be able to learn how to branch effectively when all the branches on this particular tree appear to be very upright rather than somewhat horizontal (tree seems definitely NOT a cottonwood or oak).  I would imagine that the eagles have an answer for this.  Do any of our viewers wonder about this also?

MNL - This first came up when Mom and Dad built N2. No handy branches. But I remember the kids jumping/flying UP to an overhead branch and then, usually, crashing through the leaves back down to the nest. Not elegant or easy, but they got the idea. ;D At N3, there's also an adjacent tree with lots of branches. The latest photo shows an adult sitting way out on one of those branches. Kids watch and learn.

LisaG1967

« Reply #908 on: May 17, 2021, 04:55:49 PM »

MNL - This first came up when Mom and Dad built N2. No handy branches. But I remember the kids jumping/flying UP to an overhead branch and then, usually, crashing through the leaves back down to the nest. Not elegant or easy, but they got the idea. ;D At N3, there's also an adjacent tree with lots of branches. The latest photo shows an adult sitting way out on one of those branches. Kids watch and learn.

T40 - Thanks for that input.  I too had wondered, like MNL

I did look back at some of Robin's pics, and there are some smaller branches out to the side of the nest. 

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #909 on: May 17, 2021, 05:01:24 PM »

There are also bald eagle nests built in locations where branching isn't possible, such as the cliffs of Catalina Island off the coast of southern California.  We're used to seeing branching, but apparently it's not a prerequisite for learning to fly.

LisaG1967

« Reply #910 on: May 17, 2021, 05:06:17 PM »

There are also bald eagle nests built in locations where branching isn't possible, such as the cliffs of Catalina Island off the coast of southern California.  We're used to seeing branching, but apparently it's not a prerequisite for learning to fly.

Ahh, Ginger....forgot about that, so true! 

NWargo01

« Reply #911 on: May 17, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »

Lisa, STL, and Philjo - outstanding pics! 

Lisa
, great shots of what appears to be DM2 at the Y!  Missed that view with one of our eagle family visiting. 

STL, loved that capture of the GBH in the tree!  We have one close by here that I occasionally see when I'm walking. 

Lori, good to see you again!  I think you're right about Mr. Squirrel having mange.   :(

Iverburl, thanks for the video links.  I had seen that first one a while back, and felt so bad that the 1st gosling survived the drop but not the blackbird.  :'(  So ducks do that also with their ducklings!  I went for a walk yesterday and sat by a creek for a few minutes.  Pretty soon a Mama duck and her 7 ducklings were swimming by and dunking for food.  It was so great!  I just sat there mesmerized until they finally swam out of view.  And many thanks for the pic and video at N3!  Miss seeing those stages of development, but glad they appear to be healthy.

MNLindaBird, I agree on how difficult it might be for the eaglets to branch with the way the branches are shaped. Also, there is only one side that has an opening in the branches that looks like it would be big enough for the eaglets to fledge from.  But T40 and Ginger brought up good points about both, and as we always say "Trust the eagles".
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #912 on: May 17, 2021, 05:49:42 PM »

Thank you so much my friend.  QQ for ya... how did you get to May 1st?  I haven't used the eagle maps for awhile. I see up to March.  thanks!!  And... of course you are right about DM2  ;D ;D
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

T40cfr403

« Reply #913 on: May 17, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »

Thank you so much my friend.  QQ for ya... how did you get to May 1st?  I haven't used the eagle maps for awhile. I see up to March.  thanks!!  And... of course you are right about DM2  ;D ;D

Lori - An astute question. I can tell you use the map page! If I don't see new data on the map when I first open the page, I'll click at the top of the page on "Make a Map." On the left side of the new page there are boxes to fill in for 'Explore Travel Between Two Dates,' except Amy hasn't updated it yet to be able to specify 2021. So I use the option on the top right of the page, "Explore Travel by Month," and pick a month to look at. You'll get a LOT of data points. Amy needs to update the filters on this option, too, but it'll get you new info. Uncheck all the Map Control boxes and you'll be left with May data for D24 (maybe), D27 and D36.

Or I'll click on "Cluster & PDF Maps" and keep honing in on the Decorah area to see if there's any new data. It's a fun, time-waster map! ;)

BL's gonna have to step you through the Download Google Earth Map option. It has so many cool features. I just can't keep that software on my machine because it's such a memory hog. And Amy needs to update it to add D24. (I've certainly suggested a whole lot of headaches for Amy, haven't I? In her spare time... ;D)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 07:17:27 PM by T40cfr403 »

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #914 on: May 18, 2021, 01:18:04 AM »

T40-  Thank you for the info.  Earlier today I did go "month Selector" on main page & it went up to March 31 2021, so then I went to "make a map" & entered dates, tried up to May 2020 for kicks... then I went to month and put in May and the last one said D27 May of 2020 so I went to clusters and my puter was being a brat so I thought I'd ask you.  ;D  ;D  So now... I went to month again like you said and ALL the way to the bottom is May 1 2021.  Thank you! ;)  I did go to earth maps like in 2018 and it was either confusing or a memory hog at the time. I will check it out again & get help from brokenlug.  He loves his maps  ;D.
lol "Amy" & "spare time"... good one lol  ;D
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl