Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 124899 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #855 on: May 12, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »

Hello all. . .

Originally posted in March, because we are getting closer, because of growing excitement, because of the addition of 3 new little ones, and because I will soon have to return all rooms on hold but not reserved under contract, I am reposting the following information.  If you want to make a reservation or have any questions, now would be time to contact me.   

AFTER THE FLEDGE 2021

Puff, you deserve special kudos for taking the time to do this every year.  Your efforts make it easier for those of us travelling from other states to ensure we have suitable lodging when we arrive.  Thank you very much!!  :-*

Very well said, NW!!!

Thank you for all you do, Puff!!!!  :-*

LisaG1967

« Reply #856 on: May 12, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »

Philjo & Lisa, nice captures! 

So Mom did chase the CG from the nest - she must be 'patrolling' N2B to make sure nobirdie takes over her territory.  I wonder if she'll introduce the fledglings to that nest, as well as the Y branch.  Time will tell, right?

BL, impressive resume!  As someone who has always been queasy when it comes to heights, your experiences made MY jaw drop and MY palms sweat!  :)  Yes, watching those goslings jump gave me heart palpitations!  And only 24 HOURS after hatching!  Remarkable!  :o

Someone posted pics of a CG perched at the north nest also.  Not in the nest like at N2B, but on a branch near the nest.  Maybe they instinctively know it's safer to be off the ground than on it.  Don't know when they have their young, but that could have something to do with wanting to be up high and out of danger.

NW - Mom was on M2 this morning, and heard the CG land and looked over there.  Mom didn't go to the nest at that time.  CG stayed in the nest for a bit, and then it looked like maybe flew to the branch with the camera housing?  When it flew back down, Mom heard it again and took off towards N2B, and CG saw Mom coming and high-tailed it out of the nest. 
My 3rd pic in my 8:30 am post shows a blurry Mom behind that branch on the left of N2B.

Wonder how many times the CG will have to be chased from the nest before it finally gives up.  :)

I don't know, but it was there yesterday and today.   :)

STLbf

« Reply #857 on: May 12, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »

Excitement at N2B with Canada Goose testing the location.  Here it is sitting in the bowl dug a day or two ago. Apparently Mom BE has noticed!  Loving the pics, everyone.

PeepSpy

« Reply #858 on: May 12, 2021, 10:55:22 AM »

The jump here could be fatal to the goslings!  :(
Welcome Spring! 🌸🌼🌷🍄

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #859 on: May 12, 2021, 11:49:09 AM »

Maybe DM2 has his goose suit on!  :) ;)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

LisaG1967

« Reply #860 on: May 12, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »

Maybe DM2 has his goose suit on!  :) ;)

;D ;D too funny, eburg!

jaspurr

« Reply #861 on: May 12, 2021, 12:40:52 PM »

Eburg, it is not nice to try and trick Mom.  She will give you one of her stern Mom stares.

T40cfr403

« Reply #862 on: May 12, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »

From RRP's FB page: (Note - I couldn't get RRP's blogspot link to open to an active page)

Raptor Resource Project

We've seen a Canada goose nesting up on hatchery rock for at least the last couple of years. But now one is interested interested in N2B! It appears to be checking out the nest pretty seriously at 5:54, settling into a shallow depression and taking the nest bowl for a brief spin before flying out. Did the goose create the scrape? While we didn't see it on camera, we think it did! We checked over past footage and did not see a scrape until the goose showed up in the nest on the morning of May 11. We saw it again this morning, although Mom chased it away before returning to her perch on the maple. Goose be gone!

Canada Goose at N2B: https://youtu.be/YD33kSPKuD4
Goose Be Gone! https://youtu.be/cjxggWdOhSA

Canada geese incubate eggs for about 28 days and young leave the nest permanently shortly after hatching. While they often nest on the ground, it isn't uncommon for them to 'borrow' the unused nests of other birds. Why do young leave the nest so quickly? You can learn a little more about that on our old blogspot: https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/.../canada-geese.../11/
Thanks to Robin Brumm for the heads-up on this morning's goose adventure!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #863 on: May 12, 2021, 02:12:02 PM »

From RRP's FB page: (Note - I couldn't get RRP's blogspot link to open to an active page)

Raptor Resource Project

We've seen a Canada goose nesting up on hatchery rock for at least the last couple of years. But now one is interested interested in N2B! It appears to be checking out the nest pretty seriously at 5:54, settling into a shallow depression and taking the nest bowl for a brief spin before flying out. Did the goose create the scrape? While we didn't see it on camera, we think it did! We checked over past footage and did not see a scrape until the goose showed up in the nest on the morning of May 11. We saw it again this morning, although Mom chased it away before returning to her perch on the maple. Goose be gone!

Canada Goose at N2B: https://youtu.be/YD33kSPKuD4
Goose Be Gone! https://youtu.be/cjxggWdOhSA

Canada geese incubate eggs for about 28 days and young leave the nest permanently shortly after hatching. While they often nest on the ground, it isn't uncommon for them to 'borrow' the unused nests of other birds. Why do young leave the nest so quickly? You can learn a little more about that on our old blogspot: https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/.../canada-geese.../11/
Thanks to Robin Brumm for the heads-up on this morning's goose adventure!

I think the link RRP meant to post is this one:

https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2014/03/canada-geese-precocial-versus-altricial.html

PeepSpy

« Reply #864 on: May 12, 2021, 02:14:33 PM »

There would be no soft landing for the goslings! I hope Mom chases mama goose for her babies sake.
Welcome Spring! 🌸🌼🌷🍄

T40cfr403

« Reply #865 on: May 12, 2021, 05:32:26 PM »

Way to go, Ginger! Thanks!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #866 on: May 12, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »

Way to go, Ginger! Thanks!

You're welcome, T40:)

LisaG1967

« Reply #867 on: May 12, 2021, 06:09:07 PM »

Thanks, Ginger  :)

STLbf

« Reply #868 on: May 12, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »

Thanks to Forum posters for caring so much about the Canada goose who's interested in N2B. Great info!

One comment about possible landing place for goslings should any ever hatch in the N2B nest. There's woods under the nest, so goslings would land on approximately the same kind of ground as wood ducklings typically do.  Goslings weigh very little, also, so could bounce in the leaf litter.  That said, I have never attended ATF, so do not have first-hand knowledge, only what I have seen on videos and pics of the Decorah site. Set me right, please, if this is incorrect. 

It's not likely that Mom or DM2 will allow geese to nest at N2B anyhow! Because N1 is completely gone, N2B is the best place for eagle fledglings to hang out while learning to fish at the hatchery.

Puff

« Reply #869 on: May 12, 2021, 08:11:52 PM »

Much appreciated Lisa   NW  Thanks for the thanks.

P