Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 127940 times)

Puff

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #840 on: May 11, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »

It was all so frustrating - I went to forum, I went to live stream - no one seemed to be on to share the goose with. So, I just went back to nest and watched the event.  I also wondered about the jump from nest after they all hatched (there were no eggs but I  already had egg hatch to worry about).  That would have been a loooooog fall/jump.

Maybe we could set up some kind of nest alarm ala tornado warning.  LOL  Just saying. . .

P

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #841 on: May 11, 2021, 10:58:14 PM »

One of my fave wildlife moments was when the goslings jumped from their tree nest at Eaglecrest, with "Jump" by Van Halen playing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-GCGLjbBT8

T40 - It looks like they are parachuting out of a plane when they jump off!   ;D

Very pliable Wood Ducks are as they jump & land from dizzying heights.   8)
Pip & I watched in horror the 1st time we saw it for ourselves.  Holly S***.

35 feet free fall from a nest box to the forest duff below. 
Little guys bounced off of the forest floor like they knew exactly what they where doing.
Waddled of to the water after mama like nothing special ever happened in their day. 

As a free climber of rock faces, having fallen from above ceiling height, licensed mountain guide since I was 18, an arborist tree climber as a profession for 20+ yrs. Parachuting from perfectly good airplanes military, smoke jumping & recreation.

My jaw dropped. My palms sweated. Mine don't easily do that.
Mother Nature is endlessly Amazing.   8)

I'm not really sure what height Canadian Geese chicks can jump from "without a parachute" however ?   :-\

From N2B crib rail -to- forest floor has got to be 50+ feet.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:37:32 PM by BrokenLug »

Philjo56France

« Reply #842 on: May 12, 2021, 01:04:31 AM »

Bonjour everybody!
05-11-2021
just after 18h00

LisaG1967

« Reply #843 on: May 12, 2021, 04:38:14 AM »

Bonjour everybody!
05-11-2021
just after 18h00

Great pics, Philjo!

LisaG1967

« Reply #844 on: May 12, 2021, 06:56:36 AM »

Mom on M2 (behind the leaves), and Goose in the nest!

jaspurr

« Reply #845 on: May 12, 2021, 07:13:12 AM »

Broken Lug, you must be the bionic man.  My heart stops when I watch the baby peregrines at the Bluffs jump to avoid the flies.  I am glued to the website until someone reports they are OK.  Amazing "leaps of faith" by all these little jumpers.

I got stuck on a high dive when I was younger and was told that the only way down was to jump.  The ladder was not an option.  I don't remember how long the instructor waited for me. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #846 on: May 12, 2021, 07:30:42 AM »

Mom finally noticed the goose in the nest, and went to chase her out.   Pics are blurry, as it happened so fast!

Arcadia

« Reply #847 on: May 12, 2021, 08:06:23 AM »

One of my fave wildlife moments was when the goslings jumped from their tree nest at Eaglecrest, with "Jump" by Van Halen playing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-GCGLjbBT8

I remember this well. I watched it live and held my breath wondering if they'd all be safe, and yet there they were all following their mom on the way to the water.

LisaG1967

« Reply #848 on: May 12, 2021, 08:21:40 AM »

After chasing the goose off the nest, Mom returned to M2, and stayed for a few then flew off.  She circled around N1, by the pasture tree and then behind N2B.

jaspurr

« Reply #849 on: May 12, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »

Mom should thank the CG.  Look at the beautiful bowl Mom can use next year if she decides to nest at N2B.

jaspurr

« Reply #850 on: May 12, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »

Puff, sorry I was not on when you posted.  There is no soft landing for goslings at N2B.  They would need to wear hard hats.  I am glad I don't have that CG for a mom.

NWargo01

« Reply #851 on: May 12, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »

Philjo & Lisa, nice captures! 

So Mom did chase the CG from the nest - she must be 'patrolling' N2B to make sure nobirdie takes over her territory.  I wonder if she'll introduce the fledglings to that nest, as well as the Y branch.  Time will tell, right?

BL, impressive resume!  As someone who has always been queasy when it comes to heights, your experiences made MY jaw drop and MY palms sweat!  :)  Yes, watching those goslings jump gave me heart palpitations!  And only 24 HOURS after hatching!  Remarkable!  :o

Someone posted pics of a CG perched at the north nest also.  Not in the nest like at N2B, but on a branch near the nest.  Maybe they instinctively know it's safer to be off the ground than on it.  Don't know when they have their young, but that could have something to do with wanting to be up high and out of danger.

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #852 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:04 AM »

So Mom did chase the CG from the nest - she must be 'patrolling' N2B to make sure nobirdie takes over her territory.  I wonder if she'll introduce the fledglings to that nest, as well as the Y branch.  Time will tell, right?

BL, impressive resume!  As someone who has always been queasy when it comes to heights, your experiences made MY jaw drop and MY palms sweat!  :)  Yes, watching those goslings jump gave me heart palpitations!  And only 24 HOURS after hatching!  Remarkable!  :o

Someone posted pics of a CG perched at the north nest also.  Not in the nest like at N2B, but on a branch near the nest.  Maybe they instinctively know it's safer to be off the ground than on it.  Don't know when they have their young, but that could have something to do with wanting to be up high and out of danger.

NW - Mom was on M2 this morning, and heard the CG land and looked over there.  Mom didn't go to the nest at that time.  CG stayed in the nest for a bit, and then it looked like maybe flew to the branch with the camera housing?  When it flew back down, Mom heard it again and took off towards N2B, and CG saw Mom coming and high-tailed it out of the nest. 
My 3rd pic in my 8:30 am post shows a blurry Mom behind that branch on the left of N2B. 

NWargo01

« Reply #853 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »

Hello all. . .

Originally posted in March, because we are getting closer, because of growing excitement, because of the addition of 3 new little ones, and because I will soon have to return all rooms on hold but not reserved under contract, I am reposting the following information.  If you want to make a reservation or have any questions, now would be time to contact me.   

AFTER THE FLEDGE 2021

Puff, you deserve special kudos for taking the time to do this every year.  Your efforts make it easier for those of us travelling from other states to ensure we have suitable lodging when we arrive.  Thank you very much!!  :-*
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #854 on: May 12, 2021, 10:08:06 AM »

NW - Mom was on M2 this morning, and heard the CG land and looked over there.  Mom didn't go to the nest at that time.  CG stayed in the nest for a bit, and then it looked like maybe flew to the branch with the camera housing?  When it flew back down, Mom heard it again and took off towards N2B, and CG saw Mom coming and high-tailed it out of the nest. 
My 3rd pic in my 8:30 am post shows a blurry Mom behind that branch on the left of N2B.

Wonder how many times the CG will have to be chased from the nest before it finally gives up.  :)