Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 128239 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #810 on: May 05, 2021, 07:43:41 AM »

Beautiful Mom on Maple 2 this morning, she seemed to be doing some fishing.  She was up and down on M2 and smaller leafy tree in front of M2 (not sure if its part of M2), but eventually flew off and circled around N1, and headed behind N2B.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:13:38 AM by LisaG1967 »

NWargo01

« Reply #811 on: May 05, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »

Beautiful Mom on Maple 2 this morning, she seemed to be doing some fishing.  She was up and down on M2 and smaller leafy tree in front of M2 (not sure if its part of M2), but eventually flew off and circled around N1, and headed behind N2B.

Great pics of Mom, Lisa!  But couldn't identify the 1st pic - was that from the north nest, and if so, when was it taken?
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #812 on: May 05, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »

Great pics of Mom, Lisa!  But couldn't identify the 1st pic - was that from the north nest, and if so, when was it taken?

;D ;D  That's what I get for working on two posts at the same time....let me fix that!   Yes, from DNN this morning!  :D

NWargo01

« Reply #813 on: May 05, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »

;D ;D  That's what I get for working on two posts at the same time....let me fix that!   Yes, from DNN this morning!  :D

I figured it out when I just looked at your recent post - the last picture was this one.  ;)
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #814 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:20 AM »

Last evening, I am assuming it was Mom. She was up and down a few times on M2 trying to fish, then at one point it looked like she was done for the day and was heading in the direction on N3, but a few minutes later cam ops caught her back on M2.  She must have been successful, as she made one more attempt, circled around N1 and behind N2B and headed towards N3.

Puff

« Reply #815 on: May 06, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »

Hello all. . .

Originally posted in March, because we are getting closer, because of growing excitement, because of the addition of 3 new little ones, and because I will soon have to return all rooms on hold but not reserved under contract, I am reposting the following information.  If you want to make a reservation or have any questions, now would be time to contact me.   

AFTER THE FLEDGE 2021

We are back!  Our main activities for the year are scheduled for the weekend days of Thursday, July 15 through Sunday, July 18.  Particulars on the offerings and plans will no doubt be forthcoming. I've put out feelers to organizers in order to answer your questions; we all await their responses.

Room arrangements this year are a bit different.  Three other large events are also on the Decorah area calendar.  BTW For anyone interested and know about the group, Seed Savers has something on the books.  Contact them if you are a novice or serious about growing gardens and plants.

As always, prices are per night, room taxes vary and are not included.  I will require your usual data for holding a room for you:  name as on credit card, address of cc, cc number and expiration, and the room and dates you are requesting.  Cancellation is permitted.  Each property has cancellation conditions and that varies.  No charges are made to your credit card until checkout - unless you forget to cancel. 

Here are the offerings we have to choose from this year:

Fairfield Marriott         King Bed Suites only, some with
                     pull out sofa bed
                  Thursday and Friday, $159
                  Saturday, $179

Quality Inn & Suites         2 Queen Beds only
                  Thurs, Fri, and Sat, $155

Super 8            First floor room requested
                  2 Doubles or 1 Queen
                  Thurs, Fri, and Sat, $129

Hotel Winneshiek         Exec with 2 Queen
                      $139 Thurs, $169 Fri/Sat
                  King Suite
                      $209 Thurs, $249 Fri/Sat
                  King Whirlpool
                     $139 Thurs, $169 Fri/Sat

Prices listed are available to us through me.  Please contact me with any questions or reservations.

Puff/LaNora            630-852-2108         [email protected]   

T40cfr403

« Reply #816 on: May 06, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »

From RRP's FB page (You just HAVE to go to FB to see the awesome photos!)

Raptor Resource Project
49m
5-1-21 ~ Day Trip to Decorah
Photos and Story by Robin Brumm
The weekend comes around, so of course, it is time to go to Decorah.  Since everybirdy is still in the nest, I don’t have to leave at dark o’clock, so off I went at light o’clock, lol.  When I got to N3, Mom was in the nest with the eaglets. I’m guessing they had eaten before I got there because I only saw a head peek up a few times.  DM2 was perched in the nearby dead tree. 
After a little while, Mom flew to the dead tree and DM2 flew to the nest tree for shift change.  He perched on an upper branch for a bit, and then floated down into the nest.  He sat on the nest shading the eaglets for quite a while.
I grabbed my water bottle and a snack from my bag, looked up, and saw an eagle flying to the left of the nest. I thought that maybe Mom had been perched somewhere over there and just had flown off.  I grabbed my binoculars and looked at the nest… hmmm, it is Mom on the nest!  How do they switch so quickly without me even noticing?? 
A while later, DM2 flew to the tree nearby.  Mom flew over to join him but only stayed a few minutes before she flew off. DM2 flew to the nest tree and again perched above the nest.  A couple of minutes later, Mom flew in with a huge fish. D37, D38, and D39 had a nice long feeding, and I assume, since I could no longer see them, that they were in a food coma.  Since the kids were sleeping and it was really hot, I decided to head for home. Maybe the next time I go to Decorah, I will be able to see some feathers, and little heads popping up more often!
RRP appreciates Robin's generosity in sharing her photos and reminds you they are copyrighted and may not be downloaded without her express written consent.  Thanks, Robin!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #817 on: May 06, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »

Thanks, T40!

Those were some great pics by Robin.  It's nice to see the DDD's are doing well!

T40cfr403

« Reply #818 on: May 06, 2021, 09:39:20 PM »

:)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #819 on: May 06, 2021, 09:47:15 PM »

:)

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #820 on: May 06, 2021, 11:17:48 PM »

Our girl D27 coming up on 4 years from leaving the N2B nest may not be so interested in making the long flight up to Canada this year ?

This here Driftless region seems pretty conducive to just hanging out & fishing.  8)

I've heard tell on the cottonwood vine that well taloned boys hang out just North of the "Bunny Ears" of the UIR. 

A 'crib' of my own without so many wing flaps, soaring and genetically longingly flights might just be in order.

My heads almost all white.

I am from Mom & Dad Decorah's loins.

Courting, be accordingly aware.
If you don't have a hatchery or some sort of similar type of fishing arrangement and are not one heck of a nest builder your going to see nothing but tail feathers   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:19:47 AM by BrokenLug »

LisaG1967

« Reply #821 on: May 07, 2021, 07:41:13 AM »

Thanks BL and T40 for the update on D27. 

Less than a mile and a half from N2B, and it also looks like possible flew in the direction of N3?

LisaG1967

« Reply #822 on: May 07, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »

For the past half hour or so, it looks like it could be Mom sitting on M2. She sat for a long while, before flying off and circling behind N1 and coming out by the pasture tree.

jaspurr

« Reply #823 on: May 08, 2021, 12:56:30 PM »

BL, nothing but the best is good enough for our girl D27.  After all, she had one of the best male role models ever.

LisaG1967

« Reply #824 on: May 09, 2021, 01:13:56 PM »

A few pics from earlier today -Sunrise this morning in Decorah, and cam ops spotted some fish in the stream.