Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 129819 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #705 on: April 02, 2021, 06:00:01 PM »

Love the speculation about the SA visitor at N2B. Whoever it is, beautiful! Betcha neither Mom or DM2 will bring out the welcome mat when they notice.

At nest D3, any probable hatch date(s)?

Beautiful sunrise pic!

dskyyksd

• Godspeed and good tailwinds, E3, E5, Ozzie & E14
« Reply #706 on: April 03, 2021, 06:21:12 AM »

One thing I do know for sure.
There's is a bald eagle mother nesting in Decorah IA that has seen 36 eagles fledge.

D37 38 39, hatch and fly free, no reason to think otherwise.  :)

Remember, thanks to the cams on the other nest trees, we will see them in June after they fledge:)

LisaG1967

« Reply #707 on: April 03, 2021, 08:17:18 AM »

Morning pics from Decorah - An eagle comes flying in from behind N2B, and lands on Maple2.  It looks like Mom, stays for a bit and flies off.

LisaG1967

« Reply #708 on: April 03, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »

Mom's back! She must be doing a lil fishing.

TPABay111

« Reply #709 on: April 03, 2021, 01:01:22 PM »

It was great seeing Mom this morning!  If her first egg was laid Feb. 24 or 25 there might be a new precious bobblehead on N3 any day now.

BL - it's always great to read your posts & explore your maps (as well as T40s) so thank you for posting.

If you use Facebook, please be cautious about phishing attempts now that the personal data of 533 million FB users has been made public in a free forum thanks to a hacker >:(  https://www.businessinsider.com/stolen-data-of-533-million-facebook-users-leaked-online-2021-4

LisaG1967

« Reply #710 on: April 03, 2021, 01:34:33 PM »

It was great seeing Mom this morning!  If her first egg was laid Feb. 24 or 25 there might be a new precious bobblehead on N3 any day now.

BL - it's always great to read your posts & explore your maps (as well as T40s) so thank you for posting.

If you use Facebook, please be cautious about phishing attempts now that the personal data of 533 million FB users has been made public in a free forum thanks to a hacker >:(  https://www.businessinsider.com/stolen-data-of-533-million-facebook-users-leaked-online-2021-4

Thanks for the FB info, TPA...but UGH!

PeepSpy

« Reply #711 on: April 03, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »

I hate Facebook and don't have an account. Was warned not to by a bunch of cyber security professionals.  ;)
Heat Wave! 🌞🌵😓

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #712 on: April 03, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »

Familiar nests in this video released today!

From Nest To Fledge | Eagle Chicks https://youtu.be/sSn3erR9Cwkvia Explore Live Nature Cams
Mar 19, 2021
Once an eaglet hatches their parents work hard to feed it. An eaglet's diet consists mainly of fish and waterfowl. Chicks grow fast, gaining a pound every week until they fledge. At two weeks, they can hold their heads up for feeding. At six weeks, they can tear at whole food. Before they leave the nest, they grow black flight and body feathers. These replace their fuzzy down, which was good for warmth but not for flying. Time in the nest helps them gain the size and coordination necessary to survive as free-flying birds.

Love Animals and Nature? Subscribe to this channel: https://goo.gl/nCZiaJā€‹

Welcome to EXPLORE.org, the largest Live Nature Camera network on the planet!

We bring nature to you, raw, unscripted, and unedited. Enjoy the natural world as it unfolds in real time in front of our cameras. EXPLORE.org takes you to the most remote places around the globe, from the plains of Kenya, Africa to the riverbanks of Katmai, Alaska.

Visit the full multi-cam experience on our website: http://explore.orgā€‹

Our Short and Long Format Nature Clips capture the best moments from our live cams and travel expeditions.

Observing Nature requires patience and time, so these short clips give you a taste of the natural world.

In addition to short clips, there are long format nature highlights. We suggest you play these on your Smart TV and escape. These nature clips are the perfect antidote to stress and connect us to the natural world. Enjoy!

I clicked on the link for the video of Eagle Chicks but what came up was "Cat Spa Day" . That video is very funny but it's not eagle chicks! lol ;D

Wow, I sure messed up on that one.  That specific  copy and paste was intended for Caturday.  My apologies. :( The correct link is https://youtu.be/sSn3erR9Cwk  my fault I should have checked my work when I was done.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:48:34 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

STLbf

« Reply #713 on: April 04, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »

Happy Easter to everybirdie. Seems to be a nice comfortable day at N2B, visitors or no.

Puff

« Reply #714 on: April 04, 2021, 02:25:58 PM »

But lots of visitors at the hatchery.   :D  Nice day, windows open.

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #715 on: April 06, 2021, 06:46:42 AM »

Beautiful morning in Decorah

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2021, 10:30:30 AM »

Note:  There were several photos included with this post.  I have included two of them here.  Instead of downloading them, I linked to them.  Here is a link to the post with all the photos:  https://www.facebook.com/RaptorResourceProject/posts/3869747913061799

April 5, 2021: A Day Trip to Decorah!
An update by Robin Brumm

Monday was my last day of spring break. Hmm...what should I do??  Go to Decorah, of course! I spent Friday and Saturday and there were no signs of a hatch either day.  I know that the eggs usually hatch at 35-40 days old.  I had looked at the nest records and noted that for the last three years, the first egg has hatched at 39 days.  If they laid the first egg on February 24th, 39 days would be Sunday, April 4th.  If they laid on February 25th, 39 days would be Monday, April 5th, so it was a no-brainer to go back on Monday and check.

When I got to Decorah, Mom was on N3.  She kept looking down under her, but was staying very low in the nest.  DM2 flew to a tree nearby but Mom did not get up so, after several minutes, he flew off.  Mom stood up and intently looked down below her, then resumed incubation.  About an hour later, DM2 came back again and perched in a nearby tree.  Again, Mom did not get up, so DM2 went on a fly about and circled above the N3 area for about 15 minutes before flying off.

Meanwhile, Mom continued to occasionally sit up and look down intently into the nest cup.  She was sitting up for quite a while, when DM2 brought in some grasses.  Mom decided she needed a break so she flew off.  DM2 stood on the edge of the nest and looked down into the middle of the nest for several minutes before settling down over the nest cup...well, at least he tried to settle down.  He kept moving, standing up and looking down, shimmying, and standing up and looking down again. He was up and down about three or four times in the time that Mom was gone.

Mom came back to the nest about an hour later.  I think she might have brought a floppy fish because she was standing along the side of the nest looking around and would look down every so often.  DM2 finally flew off and Mom took over incubation duties.

After only a few minutes, Mom stood up and went to the spot she was standing when she came in.  She leaned over and pulled at something and then leaned over and put her beak down into the nest cup!  She did that a couple of times and then settled back down over the egg cup.  When looking at my photos later, I noticed there was a small stringy bit hanging from her beak!  That means there is a hatch!   Although we wonā€™t have a date and time, It looks like the hatch could have been Sunday night or Monday morning.  Yay! Welcome to the world, D37! If only Mom would tell us how many more eggs there are to hatch!  Now would be a perfect time to know how to speak Eaglish, lol!  I can't wait until my next visit to see how many fuzzy bobbleheads peek up!

A thousand thanks to Robin Brumm for her boots-on-the-ground report and photos from N3! A quick reminder: Robin's photos belong to her, so please don't download or use them without her permission.

April 5, 2021: DM2 flying into N3 with grasses.

April 5, 2021: Mom feeding. You can see a stringy bit of food hanging from her beak!

LisaG1967

« Reply #717 on: April 07, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

Thank you for the RRP post, Ginger 

So exciting to know Mom and DM2 have a lil one!

STLbf

« Reply #718 on: April 07, 2021, 12:03:12 PM »

Yes, thanks to Ginger for posting the blog & photos and big thanks to Robin Brumm for making the trip and reporting with pictures.  Yea to Mom and DM2!

T40cfr403

« Reply #719 on: April 07, 2021, 03:06:40 PM »

Thanks Robin and Ginger! A sight for sore eyes, for sure.

It looks like N3 only has one "door" that's wide enough for eagle wings to fit through. I'll be anxious to see what kind of shade the nest offers when it leafs out. I'm going to assume RRP will go with April 5th for D37's "hatch" date because it was the first documented feeding.

That picture of Mom on N3 with her tail touching that big branch reminded me of Dad "barking" a similar branch on N2B. RRP had proposed Dad's actions were to deliberately smooth out the bark to protect their feathers. Made sense to me. Dad was one smart cookie. :-*
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring