Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 124538 times)

NWargo01

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »

Visiting N2B and M2?! I'm thinking/wishing that's not a coincidence and the SA knows its way around the local landmarks. ;)

Good point, T40!  I didn't even think of that coincidence when reading the posts.
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #691 on: April 01, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »

Visiting N2B and M2?! I'm thinking/wishing that's not a coincidence and the SA knows its way around the local landmarks. ;)

Good point, T40!  I didn't even think of that coincidence when reading the posts.

NW, I was thinking back to what you said earlier about it being a past clutch.  D34 was the only one that wasn't banded last season, right?  And, D32 & 33 were banded at SOAR, or was just one of them banded?  I can't remember?!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:57:51 PM by LisaG1967 »

NWargo01

« Reply #692 on: April 01, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »

NW, I was thinking back to what you said earlier about it being a past clutch.  D34 was the only one that wasn't banded last season, right?  And, D32 & 33 were banded at SOAR, or was just one of them banded?  I can't remember?!

You're correct about D34 not being banded, but D35 & D36 were.  Nobirdie had a 'backpack' put on them at SOAR to my recollection.  Prior to that, I think the last one to have a backpack was D27 from the 2017 clutch.  Dad disappeared in 2018 which, if this SA was from that year would make it almost 3 years old.
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #693 on: April 01, 2021, 02:27:37 PM »

You're correct about D34 not being banded, but D35 & D36 were.  Nobirdie had a 'backpack' put on them at SOAR to my recollection.  Prior to that, I think the last one to have a backpack was D27 from the 2017 clutch.  Dad disappeared in 2018 which, if this SA was from that year would make it almost 3 years old.

You are right, nobirdie at SOAR had a backpack, but D33 had a band.  I had to go check on SOAR's website just to make sure I wasn't crazy.  I thought I remembered one of those kids from that clutch had a shiny bracelet.  I can't find if they put a band on D32 after their leg healed. I want to say no.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:37:15 PM by LisaG1967 »

NWargo01

« Reply #694 on: April 01, 2021, 03:20:38 PM »

You are right, nobirdie at SOAR had a backpack, but D33 had a band.  I had to go check on SOAR's website just to make sure I wasn't crazy.  I thought I remembered one of those kids from that clutch had a shiny bracelet.  I can't find if they put a band on D32 after their leg healed. I want to say no.

OOops, my bad!  I said that 35 & 36 were banded, but they were fitted with transmitters.  I was confusing the banding with the transmitters.  That's what I get for trying to do this while I'm working. LOL

So you're thinking it might be a 2yr. old from Mom & DM2's first clutch?  I'm bad at judging their ages when they're between 2 and 4.  1 is easy and so is 5, but in between a little harder.

LisaG1967

« Reply #695 on: April 01, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

OOops, my bad!  I said that 35 & 36 were banded, but they were fitted with transmitters.  I was confusing the banding with the transmitters.  That's what I get for trying to do this while I'm working. LOL

So you're thinking it might be a 2yr. old from Mom & DM2's first clutch?  I'm bad at judging their ages when they're between 2 and 4.  1 is easy and so is 5, but in between a little harder.

LOL!

I am terrible at judging their ages! 

STLbf

« Reply #696 on: April 01, 2021, 03:43:20 PM »

I believe that D35 and D36 were transmittered AND also banded. One on the left and the other on the right. I could dig around in my stash of last year's pics, but probably quicker and more accurate to check the archive here on the Forum or Amy's blogs from 2020. D34 left the nest area early, without any extra "baggage."

The visitor did not appear to have a band, and definitely no transmitter.
To be continued . . .

STLbf

« Reply #697 on: April 01, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »

Here's what I found in the 2020 Decorah Forum. One copied pic from me and one from LisaG.

D36, male, transmittered, banded on the right leg. Still living and flying free. Tracking info at the Explore! tab on the RRP page.

D35, female, transmittered, banded on the left leg. She died from lead shot poisoning in January or February, 2021.

D34, not banded or transmittered. Sex unknown.

LisaG1967

« Reply #698 on: April 01, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »

Here's what I found in the 2020 Decorah Forum. One copied pic from me and one from LisaG.

D36, male, transmittered, banded on the right leg. Still living and flying free. Tracking info at the Explore! tab on the RRP page.

D35, female, transmittered, banded on the left leg. She died from lead shot poisoning in January or February, 2021.

Thanks, STL

NWargo01

« Reply #699 on: April 01, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »

I had no idea D35 had died from lead poisoning!  Very sad.  :'(

LisaG1967

« Reply #700 on: April 01, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »

I had no idea D35 had died from lead poisoning!  Very sad.  :'(

Yes....so sad  :(

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #701 on: April 01, 2021, 11:05:03 PM »

Totally cool Sub Adult visitor at N2B no matter what.   8)

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes with this N2B visitor and my post below however ...

Great research and screen captures done by all.    8) 8)

I'm confidant in saying from the pics posted there are no bands or tracking devices on either of the SA visitors on 03/31 or 04/01 on N2B.

Same SA I do think so.

Some clues do eliminate certain N2B Decorah alumni however.
All that have had trackers attached have been banded.

2019 brood SOAR rehabilitated and then soft releases banded. 1 banded yes, 2 maybe.

2017 or 2018 brood ? 
SA in both pics @ N2B do not fit the bill or look old enough based on the plumage, beak and talons.
D26 through D31 are not possibilities I believe.

2019 ?
Very maybe, but, both were released from SOAR on the other side of Iowa and both would be sporting a solid 2 year old plumage by now.
(D33) was released from SOAR on 09/18/19. With a band.   
(D32) was released from SOAR on 03/03/20. Was D32 banded. Good Question ?

Now the real observation: Age of a Sub-Adult Bald Eagle from an image?

Now here we go with the big question ..

It's hard to tell. Is that a Idaho, Iowa or Florida SA ?

IF that is a 1 year old IA SA based on behavior and age identifiers with no bands or GPS on N2B.

It could possibly be D34, hatched on 04/05/20 from last years N2B brood from Mom and DM2.  ;D

I'm kind of liking the idea now that I've flown myself logically into the possibility. 
I'm going with this scenario ..

It's time to do up some retention pond and Trout Creek fishing just like my dear old Ma & Pa taught me before they catch my tail feathers dipping into their honey hole whilst they're both busy on N3 tending to my siblings .   8)

Last I heard any tail feather pings from D36 he was was about 68 miles SE of of N2B on 03/17/21.

Could D34 be Trout Creek near it's natal nest not tracked. Very for sure.  :)

Signed I am Eagle. With many caveats. BL.  ;D

One thing I do know for sure.
There's is a bald eagle mother nesting in Decorah IA that has seen 36 eagles fledge.

D37 38 39, hatch and fly free, no reason to think otherwise.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:08:51 AM by BrokenLug »

LisaG1967

« Reply #702 on: April 02, 2021, 04:53:44 AM »

BL - Great post  :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #703 on: April 02, 2021, 05:09:54 AM »

I see RRP made a post about the SA last night.  In the post they said the SA looked to be a 3 year old.  I noticed at the end of the post RRP said this....

Quick note: if this three-year old bird were one of Mom and Dad's offspring, it would be D29, D30, or D31.

STLbf

« Reply #704 on: April 02, 2021, 04:58:06 PM »

Love the speculation about the SA visitor at N2B. Whoever it is, beautiful! Betcha neither Mom or DM2 will bring out the welcome mat when they notice.

At nest D3, any probable hatch date(s)?