Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 128137 times)

NWargo01

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #660 on: March 23, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »

Familiar nests in this video released today!

From Nest To Fledge | Eagle Chicks https://youtu.be/KP9QPCM4oggvia Explore Live Nature Cams
Mar 19, 2021
Once an eaglet hatches their parents work hard to feed it. An eaglet's diet consists mainly of fish and waterfowl. Chicks grow fast, gaining a pound every week until they fledge. At two weeks, they can hold their heads up for feeding. At six weeks, they can tear at whole food. Before they leave the nest, they grow black flight and body feathers. These replace their fuzzy down, which was good for warmth but not for flying. Time in the nest helps them gain the size and coordination necessary to survive as free-flying birds.

Love Animals and Nature? Subscribe to this channel: https://goo.gl/nCZiaJ

Welcome to EXPLORE.org, the largest Live Nature Camera network on the planet!

We bring nature to you, raw, unscripted, and unedited. Enjoy the natural world as it unfolds in real time in front of our cameras. EXPLORE.org takes you to the most remote places around the globe, from the plains of Kenya, Africa to the riverbanks of Katmai, Alaska.

Visit the full multi-cam experience on our website: http://explore.org

Our Short and Long Format Nature Clips capture the best moments from our live cams and travel expeditions.

Observing Nature requires patience and time, so these short clips give you a taste of the natural world.

In addition to short clips, there are long format nature highlights. We suggest you play these on your Smart TV and escape. These nature clips are the perfect antidote to stress and connect us to the natural world. Enjoy!

I clicked on the link for the video of Eagle Chicks but what came up was "Cat Spa Day" . That video is very funny but it's not eagle chicks! lol ;D

Yeah, I got the same thing too.  Funny as heck though!  ;D
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #661 on: March 23, 2021, 10:41:55 AM »

Lisa, nice pic of the retention pond. All of our snow is gone and we're solidly in the 50s & 60s every day now, so I was surprised to see that much snow still on the ground.  Great pics all, including the 'lil squirrel.

T40, thanks for giving us updates on D27 & D36!  I love that we can see their travels and how many times they are actually not far from the natal nest.

BL, loved the pic of the bears fishing!  They were having a field day.  :)  (Also loved that the eagles were referred to as Sacred Bald Eagles.)

Ginger, awesome pics of Mom breaking for lunch.

We may not have Mom & DM2 on N2B, but we're getting great pics and info nevertheless.  Thanks to everyone for taking the time to contribute!
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

LisaG1967

« Reply #662 on: March 23, 2021, 11:58:15 AM »

NW - Thanks.  We have been having some nice weather here too. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #663 on: March 23, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »

A lil bit ago on rewind, an eagle came up from over the bluff and then flew to a tree where Mom & DM2 always sit.  It looks like it could be DM2, but hard to tell in the rain.

STLbf

« Reply #664 on: March 23, 2021, 04:27:17 PM »

Here's a BE in the pine trees atop the bluffs, not sure which set of bluffs, but about 4PM. I'm guessing it's Mom, in the rain. Lisa just posted a pic and a guess that it's DM2.

Around noon, the cam ops got some closeups of red-winged blackbird males calling and displaying their red and yellow wing patches, in the tall grass next to the Retention Pond. Also a crow feasting on a dead fish on the bank. Hard for me to get a good pic, so I will leave that to the others.

LisaG1967

« Reply #665 on: March 24, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »

Great Blue Heron on top of the trees

STLbf

« Reply #666 on: March 24, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »

Great pic, Lisa.  To me, GBHs look out of place when up in trees! But they even nest in trees sometimes.

LisaG1967

« Reply #667 on: March 24, 2021, 01:00:32 PM »

Great pic, Lisa.  To me, GBHs look out of place when up in trees! But they even nest in trees sometimes.

Thanks, STL

Yes, they do.  I see lots of them in the trees where I live, and their nest are kinda small too. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #668 on: March 26, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »

A few morning pics from Decorah - Thank you cam operators

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #669 on: March 27, 2021, 07:30:57 AM »

After a decade of watching, not seeing this nest activity feels strange and sad.  Kind of fits in with this strange and challenging year. Sure hope Mom, DM2 and the eaglets have a safe season and that there's live activity to view after fledges. I'm grateful for any pics and comments posted here, on the ground reports, and for the beautiful DNN family. Thanks RRP!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #670 on: March 27, 2021, 08:04:41 AM »

After a decade of watching, not seeing this nest activity feels strange and sad.  Kind of fits in with this strange and challenging year. Sure hope Mom, DM2 and the eaglets have a safe season and that there's live activity to view after fledges. I'm grateful for any pics and comments posted here, on the ground reports, and for the beautiful DNN family. Thanks RRP!

I have not been watching as long as you, nan, but I feel the same way!

LisaG1967

« Reply #671 on: March 27, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »

On rewind about 25 minutes ago - An eagle flew to the pond branch, perched for a bit, and flies over lands on N2B and looks very much like a wet Mom.  Pokes around in the nest for a bit, and then gets on the skywalk. Never saw them leave, so they may be higher up than the cam is showing.

STLbf

« Reply #672 on: March 27, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

Lisa, great pics. I'd say Mom, too.

I've been watching the 2 eaglets at DNN this morning! Betcha got pics of them already.

LisaG1967

« Reply #673 on: March 27, 2021, 01:06:59 PM »

Lisa, great pics. I'd say Mom, too.

I've been watching the 2 eaglets at DNN this morning! Betcha got pics of them already.

LOL, I do....getting ready to post a few.  They are too stinkin' cute!

LisaG1967

« Reply #674 on: March 28, 2021, 06:48:29 AM »

Sunrise in Decorah...looks to be a nice day!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:54:09 AM by LisaG1967 »