Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 124798 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #585 on: March 13, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »

Lisa, great job tracking Mom! Wondering if they have more than one egg in the new nest. Anybody know?

Thanks, STL  :)

I am going to go out on a limb and say, knowing Mom's history, they probably do.  :D

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #586 on: March 13, 2021, 07:20:50 PM »

From RRP Facebook page

Robin Brumm

3-7-21 Day Trip

I decided to make another trip to Decorah to see how Mom and DM2 were doing.  One good thing about nesting time is that whatever time I get there, an eagle is always on the nest, so I don’t have to get up at Dark O’clock! …so I left at Dark ‘thirty, this time, lol.

When I got to N3, DM2 was on the nest.  I didn’t see Mom anywhere, so I watched DM2 incubate.  I stood there for quite a while and eventually decided to go back to my car to get something to drink.  About halfway back to my car, I saw an eagle flying toward the hatchery.   I drove to the hatchery to see if, by some chance, was Mom or DM2 heading that way.
I got to the hatchery and didn’t see anybirdy.  I drove over by the N2B nest, and since I didn’t see anyone there either, I turned around, looked up, and there was Mom sitting in the maple! She is so sneaky, flying in and out without a peep! At least when the juvies are around you can hear them coming, lol.

I parked on the shoulder of the hatchery road and took a few photos of her.  She was so nice to pose for me!  She is so beautiful.  I miss not seeing her on the cam, incubating her precious eggs.  I asked her if she laid three eggs again this year but she kept her beak shut and wouldn’t share!  She stayed on the maple for a little while and then flew off.

I drove back to N3 with a stop for some coffee. When I got there, I thought Mom was in N3 and DM2 was in a tree near the new nest.  Mom stood up and stretched and flew off to the east..  I didn't see anyone fly in and when she flew, I thought, where is she going??  I watched her fly off and then turned around to look at the nest and noticed she was laying in the nest!  Well… I looked at my photos on my camera, and apparently it was DM2 that was in the nest and flew off, and not Mom! Lol

After quite a while, Mom stood up and flew off toward the hatchery direction.  She was gone for about 5-10 min. and then flew back in and resumed incubation duties.  Hmmm, I wonder where she went and what she did?  Again, she wasn’t sharing!   By this time it was early afternoon and time for lunch.  Hmmm.. a fish sandwich sounds good! 😉 I ate and then went to check the nest one more time before I left.  DM2 was back on the nest and Mom must have been on a fly about.  I guess that means it was time for me to fly too.  Till next time Mom & DM2.

Thanks so much to Robin for sharing her story and observations. Please remember that these photos are Robin's and should not be downloaded without her permission, although you are more than welcome to share them! It was wonderful to see Mom and DM2 again!

March 7, 2021: Mom incubating in the new nest (N3)

March 7, 2021: DM2 on the new nest

March 7, 2021: Mom on the Maple tree.

March 7, 2021: Mom flying off a tree near N3.

March 7, 2021: DM2 flying off N3

jaspurr

« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2021, 11:56:22 PM »

Thank you for posting the narrative that went with the pictures I saw on Robin's web site.  The pictures posted here are different from the ones I saw on the site.  If only I could take pictures like that.  Looking forward to seeing little heads popping up in the nest.  I hope there are three this year.

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #588 on: March 14, 2021, 04:00:46 AM »

What site has Robin got?  I've seen her FaceBook posts.

LisaG1967

« Reply #589 on: March 14, 2021, 06:06:17 AM »

What site has Robin got?  I've seen her FaceBook posts.

Nora,  here is a link to Robin's site.  She has some really beautiful pics. 

https://robinbrumm.zenfolio.com/

jaspurr

« Reply #590 on: March 14, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »

I am very encouraged by the eagle sitings you are getting near the hatchery.  Hopefully, Mom and DM2 will bring the new 21 family  to the hatchery for fishing lessons.  This means that those of us who will attending the ATF this year will get to see them. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

jaspurr

« Reply #591 on: March 14, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »

Nora, go to the bottom of her site and click on the 3-7 picture of Mom.  The pictures of Mom and Dad chasing off intruders are really amazing.  It looks like one of the eagles is flying with his back to the ground and his talons facing up to the sky. 

STLbf

« Reply #592 on: March 14, 2021, 11:58:34 AM »

Love those photos from Robin Brumm! Thanks for sharing on the Forum.

Colorful daybreak pic here at Decorah, also DNN and the Flyway. See posts there if you are into sunrises & daybreaks.

RubyRed246

« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2021, 08:55:05 AM »

Their new nest is impressive!

jaspurr

« Reply #594 on: March 15, 2021, 09:32:06 AM »

STLbf, your daybreak photo has been enlarged on my screen  to keep me warm today.  Snowy and cold in Decorah again.

lilbirdz

« Reply #595 on: March 15, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »

Whatever happened to the mystery couple who were taking measurements for drapes at N2B? Did anyone figure out who they were? When I get a chance to look at that nest, it's usually empty, covered with snow, or has a squirrel in it.

NWargo01

« Reply #596 on: March 15, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »

Have we seen both Mom and DM2 in the nest areas today? Philjo's pics sure look like DM2 to me, and Lisa's look like Mom.

Someone asked about the white stuff at one side of N2B -- I think it is corn husk that is dried from winter. The squirrel visitor likes to chew on it.

Thanks STLbf!  That was me asking.  :)
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

jaspurr

« Reply #597 on: March 15, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »

LOL, I think N2B is haunted by MOM and DM2 and the new couple decided it was not safe to stay there.

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #598 on: March 15, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »

Thanks for the link to Robin's photo site, I hadn't seen that!

STLbf

« Reply #599 on: March 15, 2021, 11:49:57 AM »

Jaspurr, lots of snow in the Decorah area today, so keep warm wherever you are & enjoy the sunrise photo.

We might all review the RRP regs about photo copyright on this forum. All written work (text) is copyright the writer, in print or electronic. Are photos the same? And what is fair use? Professional photographers stamp their photos and remind us to look, but not to use them without purchasing because their livelihood comes from their photography. But what about us amateurs? Jaspurr provides a good opportunity for me to find out if it's best to ask first before copying/enlarging our photos from the Decorah Forum. Thanks, Jaspurr, and I will post what I find, or maybe RRP will.    ;)