Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 78975 times)

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1665 on: September 24, 2021, 09:48:01 PM »

I don't ever recall seeing that, Lisa. Does anyone know if it's dredged regularly?
I am wondering if it has been a while since it's been dredged.
I don't ever remember seeing it like this, or ever hearing anyone mentioning it getting dredged.

Cam & forum watching since 2011.
I don't ever recall the "retention pond" being drained and dredged. Nope.

Dredging = A state run job, big equipment noise for a week at the very least. beep. beep. beep.
Drain your honey hole dry, lots of 2 footers with huge noisy equipment about.

DM2 will soon to be thrilled for sure to put talons down on N1 and N2B.

Mom Decorah. No sweat. Back to the hatchery area my sweet.

In a hatchery system it is technically called a settling pond.

The Chuck Gipp Decorah Fish Hatchery has 24 cement flow-through raceways and three rubber lined earthen ponds.

The Retention Pond gathers and 'settles out' all of the you know what from the water that exits the three rubber lined earthen ponds at the north end of the hatchery system before the water returns to Trout Run below Siewers Spring.

That rectangular man made 'bowl' looks pretty full of muck. And I fear I've dissed muck by using that word.

Feet/inches of water above the muck was way less than I imagined for some reason all these 10 years.

That muck I assume is pretty foul smelling without a 'water cap' on it even at this time of year.   
Wondering if what gets dredged out is fertilizer gold for someone -or- don't bring that fetid S#*+ anywhere near my property. 

To bad Mom & DM2 don't have any nearby fresh water fishing rivers with fish in them to fish in.    :)  ;)

Aquaculture evolves and is totally copacetic with Bald Eagles in this here place.
They've figured it out this eagle hatchery love affair over the past 80 + years.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:03:32 PM by BrokenLug »

NWargo01

« Reply #1666 on: September 24, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »

As usual, very entertaining, informative, and humorous post, BL!  Hope the noise and activity won't drive DM2 away again.  But once they refill the retention pond I'm sure Mom will love it.  She's had to adapt to her favorite Maple being taken away, and now her retention pond emptied.   :(
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #1667 on: September 25, 2021, 12:47:31 AM »

_
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:56:49 AM by BrokenLug »

LisaG1967

« Reply #1668 on: September 25, 2021, 05:33:39 AM »

NW - I agree with you.  I hope the noise from the dredging doesn't scare DM2 again.  Mom is so use to people and noise, that it seems nothing bothers her. 

BL - Thanks for your info on the retention pond.

lilbirdz

« Reply #1669 on: September 25, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »

Someone please refresh my memory. Was N2 the one that was destroyed by the microburst in 2015? Was N2B the one for which RRP got it started by building a platform?
Can anyone reassure me that Mom and DM2 have figured out that the N3 nest is in a dying tree?
Are there now cams at both N1 and N2B?
The Confusion Couch does not have comfortable pillows!  ???

T40cfr403

« Reply #1670 on: September 25, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »

BL - You're a goldmine! Thank you!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #1671 on: September 25, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »

Someone please refresh my memory. Was N2 the one that was destroyed by the microburst in 2015? Was N2B the one for which RRP got it started by building a platform?
Can anyone reassure me that Mom and DM2 have figured out that the N3 nest is in a dying tree?
Are there now cams at both N1 and N2B?
The Confusion Couch does not have comfortable pillows!  ???

lilbirdz -

Was N2 the one that was destroyed by the microburst in 2015? Yes

Was N2B the one for which RRP got it started by building a platform? Yes

Can anyone reassure me that Mom and DM2 have figured out that the N3 nest is in a dying tree? No,  ;D

Are there now cams at both N1 and N2B? Yes, but N1 has always had cams, and it also now has a new starter nest that RRP built.

STLbf

« Reply #1672 on: September 25, 2021, 04:40:52 PM »

Updates galore!  Thank you, everyone!   ;D

lilbirdz

« Reply #1673 on: September 28, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »

LISA, many thanks for the clarifications. (My memory isn't as bad as I thought!)

LisaG1967

« Reply #1674 on: September 28, 2021, 11:34:10 AM »

LISA, many thanks for the clarifications. (My memory isn't as bad as I thought!)

You're welcome, lilbirdz  :D

LisaG1967

« Reply #1675 on: October 01, 2021, 05:29:00 AM »

From RRP's Facebook page......

Raptor Resource Project
More pics from the field! We finished cam work on September 27th. Overall, we installed five cameras (two at the north nest and three at a new nest) and two microphones, cleaned eleven cameras, trimmed trees, measured the North nest and our new nest, took some unused equipment down, and built a starter nest at N1. We plan to turn the streams back on Saturday, October 9, at noon. We'll keep everyone posted!

N2B and N1
N2B looked great, if a little forlorn. We cleaned cameras, removed grass from the nest, and left two delicious fishy treats for Mom and DM2. Although they haven't picked them up yet, hatchery staff and boots on the ground report seeing them almost every morning, so we remain hopeful.
The subadult starter nest at N1 was pretty much gone by last October, so we built a new one with sticks and mulch from the Decorah Yard Waste Site, aka Mulch Mountain! I wish we had one of these where I live! What are we going to call this nest if Mom and DM2 (or any other eagles) take it over? That's a question for future us. In the meantime, we are crossing our talons for them at either nest.

We're getting some questions about the hatchery pond. Why was it drained? The Iowa DNR needed to replace some cracked concrete and sludge out their water system, starting from the very top (the settling ponds) through the very bottom (the retention ponds). There isn't a problem with contaminants or dangerous materials, but there is a lot of mud in the system after twelve or so years without a flush. John met with Brian to stress the importance of getting the work done quickly, or at least getting the retention pond filled again ASAP.

The North Nest
The North nest looked great! We replaced two cameras, did some trimming, and measured the nest. It is 55 feet off the ground, although our highest work platform is closer to 65 feet.
At its widest diameter (outer stick to outer stick) it measures 12 feet (east/west) by 8.25 feet (north/south). The internal measurement, aka the nest bowl, measures 6 feet (east/west) by 6.25 feet (north/south). We saw a little bit of Mr. North and DNF while we were there and camop Spish captured some beautiful pictures of them on September 23 (about ten days after our last visit) and September 28. We look forward to seeing them again!

The New Nest
This nest belongs to a new pair of eagles in the Decorah area: not Mom and DM2 or Mr. North and DNF. It was intended to be a backup nest, but the views are spectacular, so we might end up adding it to our live cam group once we install solar panels and radios.  In the meantime, a little information about this site:
- The eagles have been nesting there since at least 2015.
- The nest measures 10 feet by 7 feet at its widest diameter (outer stick to outer stick) and 8 feet by four feet in the nest bowl. It is 55 feet off the ground and roughly seven feet high.
- The eagles successfully produced two young this year.
- We did not find much in the way of prey remains in the nest, but we did find part of a fawn deer carcass and a raccoon skull below the nest.
What are we going to call this nest? We'll have something picked out before we put it online. The landowner and neighbors want to keep the location private. We're respecting their wishes and ask everyone else to do the same...but we sure look forward to sharing the stream!

Thanks for being so patient during our off season!

Just a couple pics from their work, but if you check out their FB page there are lots more.  :)

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #1676 on: October 01, 2021, 06:07:49 AM »

Thank you for posting Miss Lisa!  Wonderful news... very excited!!!! :)
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

jaspurr

« Reply #1677 on: October 01, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »

When at the ATF this year, I was surprised to learn that there had been construction at the hatchery.  The noise from the constructions may have been what caused N2B to build a new nest at Walmart.  If there will be dredging at the retention pond, I am worried that the same scenario may play out again this year.  They dredged a small pond where I live and it was a noisy and long process.  As long as the dead tree is strong enough to  hold the new nest, they may go back to Walmart to get away from the noise.  They did successfully raise three healthy eaglets at Walmart this year.   A lack of nests does not appear to be what caused the relocation to Walmart.  If they go back to Walmart, I doubt if Mom will allow a new family to move into N1 or N2B.  She considers that hatchery to be in her territory.  Looking forward to the new mystery nest that successfully raised 2 eaglets.

angelolady

« Reply #1678 on: October 02, 2021, 01:13:54 PM »

If they use the starter at Nest 1, maybe it could be called 1B.   ;D
Eagle Therapy

T40cfr403

« Reply #1679 on: October 02, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »

Come on October 9th! It's not like I'm counting the hours or anything... :P
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring