Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 150932 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1590 on: August 14, 2021, 06:33:57 AM »

Handsome DM2 on the skywalk this morning

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1591 on: August 14, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »

Beautiful morning pics, Lisa!
I really missed watching Mom and DM2's prep work and the raising of their eaglets this year; something that's been part of my life for many years now. But I'm very grateful they had a successful season. I wish them safe travels!  I'm also very grateful to all of you here who have shared your thoughts, pictures, and videos, all which help me catch up and add to my ever-growing Decorah folder. As always, many thanks to RRP and the cam operators.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

LisaG1967

« Reply #1592 on: August 14, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »

Beautiful morning pics, Lisa!
I really missed watching Mom and DM2's prep work and the raising of their eaglets this year; something that's been part of my life for many years now. But I'm very grateful they had a successful season. I wish them safe travels!  I'm also very grateful to all of you here who have shared your thoughts, pictures, and videos, all which help me catch up and add to my ever-growing Decorah folder. As always, many thanks to RRP and the cam operators.

Thanks, nan  :)

I am very thankful that we have been getting to see them a lil bit more. 

STLbf

« Reply #1593 on: August 14, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »

Lisa, great shots of DM2. That's who I thought it was, but was leery in case of a visitor / intruder.  Seeing both Mom and DM2 around the fishery at the same time and in no hurry to catch fish and fly away -- seems likely that D37, 38, and 39 have dispersed. Does anyone know for sure?

LisaG1967

« Reply #1594 on: August 14, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »

Lisa, great shots of DM2. That's who I thought it was, but was leery in case of a visitor / intruder.  Seeing both Mom and DM2 around the fishery at the same time and in no hurry to catch fish and fly away -- seems likely that D37, 38, and 39 have dispersed. Does anyone know for sure?

STL - Great pics!

It seems that maybe D37-39 might have dispersed, but no way to know for sure.  I guess we will have to wait for another boots on the ground report.   :D

LisaG1967

« Reply #1595 on: August 15, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »

Early morning pic, and someone behind the leaves on the upper part of the skywalk, one minute it looks like Mom, the other it looks like DM2

Arcadia

« Reply #1596 on: August 15, 2021, 09:42:04 AM »

Thank you cam ops and all who posted this year. I did miss seeing our usual nest preparation and raising of the babies. It is good nevertheless to see the Decorah parents and to wish the young eagles safe adventures.

Puff

« Reply #1597 on: August 15, 2021, 10:12:06 AM »

My vote - DM2

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #1598 on: August 15, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »

My vote - DM2

P

That's my vote too, Puff ;)

STLbf

« Reply #1599 on: August 15, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »

Yep, I agree with the others that it's DM2. Lisa's last closeup shows the eye rings and very white head. 

tigeag

« Reply #1600 on: August 15, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »

Great pics Lisa! Yep, think that's definitely Mr. Handsome!

Hoping them hanging around will mean a return to N2B. I'm hoping!! HA!

LisaG1967

« Reply #1601 on: August 15, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »

Great pics Lisa! Yep, think that's definitely Mr. Handsome!

Hoping them hanging around will mean a return to N2B. I'm hoping!! HA!

Fingers crossed, tig!

T40cfr403

« Reply #1602 on: August 16, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »

DM2's head is very white and very flat.

This is now my go-to way of IDing Mr. Handsome. Thanks, STL!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #1603 on: August 17, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »

From RRP's FB page (at last!):

Raptor Resource Project
14m

Where are D27 and D36? They must have read our staycation post, since both of them headed north not long after we published it!
As of August 12, D27 was spending time on an Ontario Lake that she visited back in 2019. Makoop Lake sits in the northern forest ecoregion in west Ontario: a popular area for several of the eagles that Brett studies. This vast boreal-rimmed lake of sand and rock is dotted with islands, has an excellent reputation for fishing, and can only be accessed from the air or by boat - and boating in isn't a very easy thing to do. D27 left a highly populated landscape to summer in one of the remotest areas south of the taiga!

After a long visit to Decorah, D36 also decided to fly north. He's currently exploring the area around Perrault Falls, about 486 miles north of his natal nest and 236 miles south of half-sister D27. This area is a little less remote (Perrault Falls can be visited by car), but also full of lakes, rivers, fish, and eagles. While Ontario has been coping with a pretty serious wildfire season, neither eagle is in or especially near a wildfire area.

This summer's travels are a little unusual given that both eagles left so late in the season! By this time last year, D27 was already coming back from her northern vacation, although first-year eagle D36 stayed considerably closer to home. It's nice to see him stretching his wings and interesting that he was so close to much older sibling D27 in time and space.

Why did D27 and D36 leave so late? We thought that D27 in particular might be settling down, especially since she will be old enough to pair with a male eagle for the 2022 season. Perhaps the extended drought in the Decorah area triggered her instinct to move towards food, and her experience (and homing instinct) did the rest. Whatever it was, she traveled quickly, covering 630 miles between July 18 and July 27! D36 spent most of July in the Chatfield, MN area about 25 miles north of Decorah. He moved a little north on July 17 and took a big jump on July 23, eventually landing up near Perrault Falls on August 14: a day in which he clocked an impressive 138 miles of flight. In looking through the data, I can't help but wonder if D27 and D36 were the only eagles who left the Decorah area. Given the sociability of non-breeding bald eagles, it seems unlikely that they were the only ones to head out for richer hunting grounds.

Thanks to Brett and the staff of Eagle Valley for sharing their maps, data, and expertise with us! I've also included a map that shows D27's July travels across multiple years. To explore the travels of any of the eagles we've tracked, please visit our interactive maps at https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/. I created this map using the 'Make A Map' tool.

D36'S map. The light green line north of Duluth shows his most recent travels.

D27's map. She left her summer cabin on August 2 last year, arriving back in the Decorah area on August 29.

A look at D27 in July of multiple years. I thought it was interesting that she appeared to travel a little more widely in 2019 and 2021. Note D1 over on the west part of Hudson's Bay. D1 and D27 were full siblings from different clutches, but they chose pretty different summering grounds! D1 summered on the Hudson Plain, right by the bay. Her diet included fish and (most likely) a lot of waterfowl. She might have seen polar bears, arctic fox, walrus, bearded, ringed and harbor seals, beluga whale, and bowhead whales. It's hard to imagine just how different this ecosystem is from NE Iowa!

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1604 on: August 17, 2021, 03:42:53 PM »

;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:03:15 PM by T40cfr403 »