Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2021  (Read 128708 times)

tigeag

Re: Decorah Eagles 2021
« Reply #1365 on: July 18, 2021, 06:47:10 AM »

Thanks for the info BL!

Great pics of Mr Decorah Lisa!! I know you have had an awesome time!
Travel safely everyone!

STLbf

« Reply #1366 on: July 18, 2021, 12:22:47 PM »

Nice of Mom to share the area with the ATF-ers on Sunday morning. She was in the pine tree from about 6 to 8 AM, on the rewind.

Safe travels home, everybirdie.  Post those photos to the Forum!

Can't wait to watch all the videos from the live-streamed sessions. I watched some of it live, too.

jaspurr

« Reply #1367 on: July 18, 2021, 05:14:37 PM »

We all thought that was DM2 but rewrap on closer inspection said it was Mom,  After leaving the tree across the hatchery, she flew to the Maple Tree, sat there for over an hour and caught two fish at the hatchery.  Have a safe trip home Lisa.  So glad I got to meet you face to face. Decorah is in your blood now.

T40cfr403

« Reply #1368 on: July 18, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »

BL - I can get lost turning any corner (flatlander), so you made my head swivel when you were the first to post a picture of the oxbow! I had even watched John's presentation to no avail because I was still stuck in the forest across the road. ;D

I had also wondered what Mom thought about flying fish in from such a distance. She probably put it on DM2's honey-do list. ::)

Your map of D27 always makes me smile. I'm in awe of her curiosity, tenacity and beautiful symmetry. She didn't go fishing in Ontario this year, her 4th, so maybe she's looking to settle down near home?
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

jaspurr

« Reply #1369 on: July 19, 2021, 06:36:24 AM »

Thank you for the aerial shots of N3. I wondered where DM2 was getting his fish.  What a perfect fishing spot he chose.  He has no reason to go to the hatchery for fish.    Mom caught 2 fish at the hatchery on Sunday morning but she disappears into the trees with them making it hard to tell if she is eating them or flying back to N3. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #1370 on: July 19, 2021, 06:42:08 AM »

Morning, jaspurr!  It was so nice to meet you this weekend.  Are you still in Decorah?  I drove straight thru yesterday, and got home late last night.  I am sure I will need a lil nap today at some point...lol  You are right about Decorah being in my blood!  I had such a wonderful time, and met some many nice people!

BL - I cannot even describe to you what a great time I had.  I was in heaven snapping pics!

I hope everyone doesn't mind, but I am going to share ALOT of pics in different posts. 

LisaG1967

« Reply #1371 on: July 19, 2021, 07:10:40 AM »

Various shots of Mom on M2

LisaG1967

« Reply #1372 on: July 19, 2021, 07:13:11 AM »

Intruder/SA that was in the bluffs one day

LisaG1967

« Reply #1373 on: July 19, 2021, 07:14:54 AM »

Mom in the pines

LisaG1967

« Reply #1374 on: July 19, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »

More of Mr. Decorah

LisaG1967

« Reply #1375 on: July 19, 2021, 07:26:24 AM »

Mom & DM2 at the new nest...in that order

LisaG1967

« Reply #1376 on: July 19, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »

Pics from around the hatchery, the nest, and Mom, of course!

Puff

« Reply #1377 on: July 19, 2021, 09:29:31 AM »

First, for clynn  No need to hesitate commenting on your accomplishments or acquirements, or successes.  We've all worked hard for long periods of time to achieve, no apologies needed, no explanations to anyone.  ENJOY!!  You deserve, you earned.  Maybe a pic to add to the post when settled in the house?

I met many, but not all, of the newbies.  That's a lot of fun.  For those missed, maybe 2022???  So much to talk about, so many things to share, many other activities, and still only 24 hours a day.  Was up and out about 5:30 each morning, too.  Enjoyed whatever the day brought.  Maybe we can sched a replay next year of things missed.  Biggest misses would be more appearances by Mom, DM2, 3 juvies, unable to maneuver down path to N3.   :-[  And, still didn't get a Whippy Doo - after all these years.

Misc comments. . .Again someone posted that cat caught in a plastic bag handle.  Not ever funny as far as I'm concerned.  Happened to me once and to my namesake Puff.  Curiosity being known re boxes and bags he early once got hung up in the handles.  Poor, poor baby was scared crazy, out of his mind, running frantic and banging into walls and things.  I felt so terrible.  I now never leave a bag with in tack handles that way.  Clip The Handles, always, people.  Can even be dangerous to young crawling kids.

Also, saddest report of the weekend would have to be that Andrew had to make that decision about Momo.  I know there wasn't a dry eye on the forum.  Most of us know the feeling, can understand the pain and loneliness.  But as Andrew so well said - We don't say goodbye, they stay with us forever.

Finally, Appreciate all the pics and post from others who attended.  If anything new and different shows up in my camera I'll add it.  Also, finally final, what was really fun and satisfying was those hugs I gave and received from our eagle fans.  I've been saving them up from last year; no one said no when I asked if I could give them a big hug.  Felt so good!

P           

jaspurr

« Reply #1378 on: July 19, 2021, 09:45:03 AM »

CHANCE fledged this morning.

iverburl

« Reply #1379 on: July 19, 2021, 10:01:50 AM »

Thoughts on the N3 reveal:

The hills across the creek were a good guess and would have made sense. Just not for DM2.

While I have never seen Mom actually carry a fish from the hatchery to N3, I do not doubt that she does. Typical eagle territory averages about 2 miles across, so sometimes more. N3 to hatchery is 1.7 miles. And while they both surely are adept at catching river fish, the Hatchery is easier. Wild creatures always will take the easy route if it is safe.

These boots did not engage in any deliberate deception. The nest is quite visible from the Walmart road ( Old Stage Road) to eagle fans who scan for such things. I did make a point never to mention the river, never to show wide shots that made the river obvious, and never to post videos with blatant Walmart sounds. (The receiving dock faces the nest.) To allay any concerns about interlopers: Landowners on both sides of the river deny access, that side of the river has no road anywhere near N3, and that river stretch is really crappy paddling.
Changing times require unchanging principles.