BirdCam Forum > Off Topic

Tutorial: Recording Clips from Youtube Livestreams

(1/1)

SAI_Peregrinus:
I used Open Broadcast Studio (OBS). If you don't have it, download and run the installer for your platform.

Run OBS. For the first run, the auto-configuration wizard will offer to run on its own. Accept that. If you need to run it afterwards, it can be found in Tools->Auto-Configuration Wizard.

Select "Optimize just for recording, I will not be streaming". Hit Next.

Select the highest Base (Canvas) Resolution offered. Probably 1920x1080.
For FPS, select "Either 60 or 30, but prefer high resolution" to ensure smooth motion & good picture. RRP streams are 30 FPS, but I don't know for sure that OBS will sync the stream data properly so higher FPS might reduce the risk of choppy motion issues.

Hit Next, and then Apply Settings.

In the "Sources" subtab, click the "+" button, and select "Browser" from the menu.

Give the source a name if you want. Ensure "Make source visible" is checked (it is by default). Hit OK.

Enter the URL of the video you want to record. Pick a width and height equal to the Base (Canvas) resolution you picked above (probably width 1920 and height 1080).

Right-click the source name and click "Interact" to interact with the browser view. Use the normal controls of the site you're recording (Youtube for RRP videos) to full-screen the video, change volume, or pick a time to record. Close the interact window when done.

Click "Start Recording" to start recording. It will turn into a "Stop Recording", for when you're done.

After you stop recording, File->Show Recordings will open a file browser window where the recording was saved.

Full album of the screenshots above:
https://imgur.com/gallery/wgSERnD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version